The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 PM
*mahoganut*

Great thread - thanks to all who posted photos and comments!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 10-03-2016, 05:53 PM

Thanks for sharing pics and experiences of the show...it sounds and looks as if a great time were had by all...
Old 10-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I had a great time in SB, it was nice to meet some AGFers, tho it seems there were many more I missed. It was especially nice to meet AGF luthiers Jonathon Razo and Luca Canteri. I played demos for both, which meant I got to hear the guitars up-close, a special treat! Both are building beautiful looking and sounding instruments.

I also demo'd for Ed Claxton, whose guitars are sublime as always, and Ed being more than a little mischievous, also instigated a secret Sunday morning bathroom concert, where anyone who happened to be wandering in on "business" got to hear the guitars in a better setting.

There were a ton of great guitars, and many have been covered here already. A couple of discoveries for me included the Visesnut cases that Marshall Brune is importing. Incredibly light, and seemingly stronger even than fiberglass or carbon fiber cases. He sold out at the show (apparently even selling the case he had brought his own guitar in - oops :-)).

It was great to meet Leo Buendia - that Tree guitar was quite nice, and it was also fun to see Jay Howlett's monster Tree board on display.

I'm always watching for more unusual items, and this was the first time I've seen the Brunner collapsible harp guitar - a lot more convenient than the full-sized models! There were also many interesting smaller instruments, from Duane Nobel's Harp-Ukelele's, which sounded amazing, to Michael Greenfield's little baby tenor guitar.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 PM

I couldn't agree more. Never having seen The Tree in real life, it was stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
and it was also fun to see Jay Howlett's monster Tree board on display.

Last edited by cigarfan; 10-04-2016 at 03:16 AM. Reason: fix quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

One luthier who I haven't seen mentioned is Dimitri Tenev, DMT guitars - he used to be one of the best local repair people around - now hes just one of the best but alot further away -

I've written about his "inverted arch top" acoustics before - I really like his design and aesthetic on these, and he had a new one with a nice floating pickguard on it. It was very well done - but I'm still lusting for his original one -

The other one worth noting was a unique design that used a corrugated steel top - it was very similar to a National in some ways, but without a cone rattle. One of the most unique and original designs I saw that really worked in a most unusual way -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2749.jpg (29.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2750.jpg (30.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM

The corrugated top guitar was indeed the most unique by far.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:59 AM

What a great thread! I'll be bringing my camera to Woodstock in three weeks and hope to post a bunch.

Rick
Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM

Thanks Ryan for posting all of these pictures!

This was my first show as an exhibitor and it was great to be able to get some exposure. I have been building for years and it was starting to be an issue that most people had not had a chance to play my instruments. It was important to me that there be some feedback out there about all the important stuff: tone, playability, feel etc.... I didn't make any sales at the show but I had some very good responses and felt good about the whole experience and being able to present my work to a larger audience.

It definitely didn't feel busy in the same way that Woodstock has but it was also a cavernous place. Many attendees commented that it was large and confusing in the way it was laid out and I would agree. Great that so many builders could be there in one place but overwhelming because of it. I did hear about quite a few sales of guitars even with the lower turnout so for many I think it was a good thing. That was great to hear.

I was able to finally meet a bunch of builders in person that I had only emailed with beforehand- In terms of AGF people I got to talk to the Kinnairds (and Ryan!), Jimmy Caldwell, Chris Ensor, Tom Doerr, Mike from Indian Hill, Tim McKnight and others. Always great to be able to say hi in person! Mark Blanchard's work has been a big influence on my own and I was able to spend some time talking to him. I enjoyed that very much.

Many AGF members stopped by to play my guitars, which was wonderful. There were too many to name them all here but it was great that people stopped by and introduced themselves (and their families in some cases). I wish there had been some proper quiet rooms setup closer to the tables. Some people took the guitars out to a better listening spot and that was great. You missed so many subtleties in the sound in that huge room, especially in the upper registers.

You would think there would be time to go around and play all of the guitars of the builders you would want to and there just isn't. I can think of so many guitars I wish I had played but didn't have the chance to. Others too that I played but wished I was able to take to a quiet place.

In terms of my thoughts as a spectator there was some amazing work there. I'll share just a few examples. This isn't a complete list by any stretch, just a few things that have stuck in my mind these past few days: (I apologize in advance for all the times I will use "awesome" as the adjective in these descriptions. It is the correct word!)

Tim Frick is building some killer guitars- I have been watching him on instagram and had some friends insist I check his work out and it was awesome. I wish I lived closer, I imagine I would be a frequent visitor to his shop if I did.

I have been wanting to see Lars Rasmussen's guitars for a long time and hey didn't disappoint. Perfect clean lines and just pure class. Beautiful instruments that I can't believe I didn't get the chance to play.

I didn't get a chance to play Mike Baranik's work but he had a guitar there with some blue resin purfling and details that was beautiful- I really loved how that one looked.

I did get a chance to play Michael Bashkin's Indian Rosewood OM that was there and oh man was it awesome. I have wanted to play one of his guitars for a long time and loved that one.

Thierry Andre had an instrument there that was like nothing else. I didn't play it but the lines on it were great and the rounded surfaces looked extremely well done.

I had the incredible good fortune to stay with a great group of builders at the place we rented. There was lots of guitar playing and general merriment and it was the highlight of the trip for sure. Also the best way to really HEAR some great guitars and they were all great-

Laurent Brondel's guitars straight up kill- His work and his opinions about everything guitar related have been very influential for me. I got to hear both of his guitars up close and played by some great players. That was awesome

One of those great players was Ben Wilborn who is an amazing player and builder. He had some awesome guitars there. I hadn't seen them before and am totally a fan after this show. He had a bunch of guitars there and they were all great.

Joel Michaud has been getting a lot of attention lately and it is all 100% deserved. He was right across from me at the show and back at our place I got to really see and hear the guitars up close. Pure, clean tones and really nice lines on these beauties. The outline on Larry's guitar was just staring me in the face the whole show and it is awesome, a really gorgeous guitar. The patina on the brass inlaid parts was really nice and a great way to get some colors not often seen on guitars on the instrument in a classy way.

Ben Paldacci's guitars are awesome too. Loud, clean tones from both sized guitars that he brought. I know that Tony McManus spent some time playing them and I wish I was there to hear that!

I have been emailing with Ken Franklin back and forth for some years now and it was awesome to get to meet him and see his work up close. His Brazilian nylon string guitar was awesome- The rosette of course was beautiful and that theme was repeated all through the guitar.

Overall, a blast. Do I wish I sold both guitars at the show? Of course- But as someone invested in the world of acoustic guitars (and not already used to the trade show experience) I had an amazing and eye opening time.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
I can think of so many guitars I wish I had played but didn't have the chance to. Others too that I played but wished I was able to take to a quiet place.
This is exactly what I've been thinking about yours! I was even thinking about them on the way to work this morning.

Burton's guitars were ridiculously light, and the aesthetic he's developing is so unbelievably unique and cool. He let me play them, but I think I was too lost in the moment to think, "Hey, I should take this outside!" Kicking myself. His rosettes and headplates are impressive enough online, but seeing them in person is a different story and takes that impressiveness up by a factor of 10.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Doug Young mentioned "Michael Greenfield's little baby tenor guitar." curious if any has pics or any other info on small guitars they saw at the show.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-05-2016, 05:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Ryan, thank you for all the great photos! Really enjoyed talking with you on the way home and thanks for balancing the plane out so we could take off.

I thoroughly enjoyed the SBAIC and hope that the show happens again. Thank you to all the organizers, luthiers and attendees.

JR
Old 10-05-2016, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Ryan, thank you for all the great photos! Really enjoyed talking with you on the way home and thanks for balancing the plane out so we could take off.

JR
I likewise enjoyed the conversation and when they said they needed less weight up front, I looked around at the thin Californians around me and knew that this was a Texan-sized job. I hope you and my #2 are well. #3 is about to commence and it will be a special one.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Ryan – as others have said great job capturing pictures of many of the luthiers fine instruments at SBAIC. It was fun to catch up with you, Steve and John and check out the Kinnard guitars on display. I really enjoyed the impromptu dulcimer demonstration from Steve on Sunday.

It was an invaluable experience to spend quality time with some of the best luthiers in the business and play their instruments. I was there with my girlfriend for all 3 days of the show and there were still some folks that I didn’t get to connect with.

The small demo concerts showcasing various luthier’s guitars were really great. I have two commissions in the works with luthiers who were exhibiting at SBAIC so I didn’t purchase a guitar at this show but certainly made some new friends, reconnected with some old ones and increased my awareness of many builders who I now strongly admire who were previously not on my radar.

The beaches, Missions and Santa Barbara County wine country were just icing on the cake for a great SBAIC week.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 10-06-2016 at 05:02 AM. Reason: brain f**t
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Default A Few Fine Guitars

Ray Kraut:

Ted Astrand:

Joel Michaud OM-R:

Jonathan Razo OM:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop