The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up The Wrecking Crew Film Released!

Some of us have been waiting for this. I saw a screening last year and we really enjoyed it. Finally ready for release and has a distributor and goes nationwide in a limited run this week (opened in Canada last week).

The Wrecking Crew were a group of studio musician's who recorded hundreds of albums and soundtracks for many artists in the 60s and 70s. It is a great story and the music is the soundtrack of that period.

More on the film: http://wreckingcrewfilm.com/

Article in the LA Times from yesterday: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

Distributor's website with theater information: http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

It's a great film and you'll enjoy it. Highly recommended! Two thumbs up!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM

yep, been following this for a couple of years now.

Really looking forward to seeing it
Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

It looks like an exact copy of Muscle Shoals which was a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever.....Watching the trailer, this one pales by comparison.

If you are very interested in a story like that I highly recommend Muscle Shoals.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the point to Muscle Shoals Fazool. I'll look for it. I followed your link and it looks good.

Not a copy, this movie has been in the making for 18 years. It's a good story of a group of amazing studio musicians who really influenced and recorded an amazing amount of the hits from the sixties and seventies. Check it out.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

And this story starts in your neck of the woods, Fazool. Tommy Tedesco was from Niagra Falls!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 PM

This film was shown @ NAMM in Anaheim a few years ago. The film-makers were still [honourably!] finishing the funding of licensing payments for all the useages in the the film at that time. I thought it quite well-done.

Haven't seen the Muscle Shoals docu, will try to view it soon. Appreciate the heads-up on that'n.
Unsure viewing a trailer of either would allow me to know if one were remotely a copy of the other, but I've only been in the Directors Guild for 35 years and the AF of M for 40. Maybe they're just both tributes to remarkable and influential "centers" of powerful music we all resonate to?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

"Exact copy"? That is a wild and sweeping generalization considering you haven't seen it, man:-) I would not be surprised to find out the opposite given how long the Wrecking Crew film had been in flight.

Muscle Shoals is a great doc, though it's a bit over-produced so that it loses some of that documentary realism with the lead dude hanging out in the shadows with his obtuse observations and such. Also, a lot of stuff happened in Muscle Shoals, and this was a timid approach to telling those stories, some of the famous - like the Stones. I got more from a few pages in Keith Richards autobiography. Anyway, I agree with Fazool that it is a must see for music lovers, producers, players, etc.

Oh, and it was in Netflix streaming library (and therefore obviously DVD as well).

Thanks for the Wrecking Crew tip .. I will seek that out;-)

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
If you are very interested in a story like that I highly recommend Muscle Shoals.

I 2nd Fazools recommendation. Best players documentary I've seen yet!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Oh my God! I have known about this film for years now, and I finally get to see it! I am so thrilled by this news... it's about darn time they got the backing to release it.

I think that I first "heard" about these guys in the early 70's, literally after listening to them playing on all those hit records for nearly a decade!

I can hardly wait! thanks for posting this...

While I enjoyed the Muscle Shoals film (and certainly THOSE players were iconic!), it seemed the filmmakers went to a whole lot of trouble to make the film more spooky and mysterious than it really was... the owner of the studio was just a head case, mostly, and a lot of that music got made DESPITE Rick's idiocy. I just thought they went to great lengths to aggrandize and heighten the studio owner's shortcomings and attitude problems... as I said, I did enjoy Muscles Shoals a whole bunch, though... and I thought that "Twenty Feet From Stardom" was even better produced!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

Last edited by jseth; 03-09-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 AM

There are a couple of books about the Wrecking Crew out there, one of which I've read. I look forward to seeing the documentary, though, because as Billy Joel said in "It's Still Rock And Roll To Me":

"You can't get the sound from a story in a magazine..."

Or, in this case, book.

whm
Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 AM

I read a book on them I found at the library. If I remember correctly it was simply called "The Wrecking Crew". Great insight and eye-opener into the music industry in that time. Can't wait to see the film.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Well yes, I should not have said "exact copy" .. THat's impossible, unless it was the same characters and town and studio, etc.

That was a way too sweeping generalization, by me.

I didn't realize this film was in the making for 18 years so, if anything, they were at this type of story first and the Muscle Shoals story started later but went through to completion and release first.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM

This is great news. I went to the screening here in Indy last year. Disappointing to see that no theaters here are going to show it. Looks like a road trip to Cincinnati is in my near future.

In addition to the Muscle Shoals documentary, don't forget about Standing in the Shadows of Motown the documentary about the Funk Brothers musicians who backed so many of those Motown hits.

Last edited by matt986; 03-10-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

This is great news,, It reminds me of a documentary entitled "Mississippi The River of Song " which is a must see as well of the influence The river has had on music centers of the USA. A little stop in Memphis brings to lite the Memphis Horns and their contributions to R&B, R&R.. Thanks for the heads up on Wrecking Crew
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It looks like an exact copy of Muscle Shoals which was a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever.....Watching the trailer, this one pales by comparison.

Yes, Fazool, Muscle Shoals was a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever...

The Wrecking Crew is a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever...

Why can't they both be good films with interesting stories? Why are you trying to make a competition based on something that you have never seen?

Some people just gotta stir the pot...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN