The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Default feedback on singing voice... please?

OK... i really want to get to a point where i can stand my own singing, or even better, if others can as well :P

This is my rendition of an old song called "dreams be dreams" (download from here).

My version is much simpler than the original, given its only myself and a guitar. I know there are mistakes in the playing, not too fussed about that, would really appreciate some feedback on the singing, and how i can improve etc.

thanks in advance and please be gentle!

kelvin
Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM

kelvin,

i really couldn't hear your voice over the guitar enough to make a judgment. you've got the voice buried behind the music too much.

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM

While your voice was a little overpowered by the guitar, to me it sounded just fine. Very pleasant to listen to.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Hi guys, i realise the voice can be a little louder, but thats a product of my inexperience with the H2, will need to learn more about positioning etc. everyday is a school day it seems.

Glad you liked the tune Phil (phew)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM

The entire track is very quiet, and then your voice is hidden within it. From what I can hear, your singing sounds fine.

Two things I'd suggest:

1.) Position the H2 so it's up high, pointing at your mouth to bring you up in the mix

2.) Sing with confidence. I can't tell how good your voice is from this, but I can hear enough to know that it's not bad. Go ahead and let yourself go on the next recording.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
The entire track is very quiet, and then your voice is hidden within it. From what I can hear, your singing sounds fine.

Two things I'd suggest:

1.) Position the H2 so it's up high, pointing at your mouth to bring you up in the mix

2.) Sing with confidence. I can't tell how good your voice is from this, but I can hear enough to know that it's not bad. Go ahead and let yourself go on the next recording.
what he said. good advice.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM
happiness

I thought your voice sounded really nice, and well-suited to the type of song you chose. I agree it sounded a little quiet compared to the guitar, almost muffled to my ears, and perhaps some singing lessons would help you to project a little more. I'm only just starting to learn myself, but I think I hear in your voice a need I've identified in mine, which is the need to open your mouth a bit more? That might come down to the confidence, which has been mentioned above.

Fliss
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 AM

thanks for the feedback.

i agree its a confidence thing, and i need to work on that. will try to give it another go (this time i'll be sure to bring the H2 up to mouth level, it was right in front of guitar last time round.. DOH!).

stay tuned....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell