The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Awesome Jazz Players...give it a listen

I ran across this NPR recording of a Jazz competition and loved listening. Hope you do too. Sorry you have to cut and paste.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/784706473/evgeny-pobozhiy-russian-prodigy-wins-international-jazz-guitar-competition"][/URL]
Old 12-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I ran across this NPR recording of a Jazz competition and loved listening. Hope you do too. Sorry you have to cut and paste.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/784706473/evgeny-pobozhiy-russian-prodigy-wins-international-jazz-guitar-competition"][/URL]
Music isn't a competition...but my man Cecil got robbed

Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Music isn't a competition...but my man Cecil got robbed

Great stuff.
There's no way I could have chosen a winner. Several of the players were just downright outstanding without any obvious technical errors. Since Jazz doesn't have an exact score it's really hard to spot the minor glitches. Also when you got a couple of players backing you they can throw you under the bus by not being as responsive as they were for another player in a similar set up. I am sure this didn't happen here intentionally, but in live productions any interaction could make or break the day.

As I found in other elite competitions, once you eliminated all but the top contestants, most if not all of the remaining generally are worthy of the top prize, and it comes down to luck on who gets it.

What's the guitar the winner played? Looks vaguely like a PRS, but I am not sure and haven't yet researched it more.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
There's no way I could have chosen a winner. Several of the players were just downright outstanding without any obvious technical errors. Since Jazz doesn't have an exact score it's really hard to spot the minor glitches. Also when you got a couple of players backing you they can throw you under the bus by not being as responsive as they were for another player in a similar set up. I am sure this didn't happen here intentionally, but in live productions any interaction could make or break the day.

As I found in other elite competitions, once you eliminated all but the top contestants, most if not all of the remaining generally are worthy of the top prize, and it comes down to luck on who gets it.

What's the guitar the winner played? Looks vaguely like a PRS, but I am not sure and haven't yet researched it more.
Nah, you're right, they were all great, and all sounded great. I just know Cecil a bit, just through some interactions online, and he's a super cool guy, so I was pulling for him.

His picking hand is one to be envied though...dang.

I think the winner was playing a Carvin? Hard to tell on my phone. Those dirty tones he used were KILLING.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops