The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

The most recent guitars that I've taken to a UPS terminal for shipment have been opened, photographed and repacked by UPS employees if the value was >$1000. I've got to wonder if this implies some form of tacit acceptance of the packaging job...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
If I'm shipping a guitar via UPS I'll take it to the UPS store and let them pack it. That way, if it's inadequate packaging, the fault undeniably lies with UPS...
My business ships exclusively with UPS and let me just add a +1 here. Great advice.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
...Nobody uses UPS to ship important stuff commercially that should tell you everything you want to know. Businesses almost always use Fedex when it counts.
HUH? Ever ordered anything from Musicians Friend, Music 123 or Guitar Center that didn't come via UPS???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM

In this entire thread all I have read specifically is the case has a crack. Usually when someone post something of this nature they overly so share the damage. Maybe because the damage happened at the other end?? Dunno?

Not that I'd welcome any guitar being dropped to the extent of cracking the case but we really haven't heard what the specific damage is or did I miss something.

Edit: I guess "Mostly one Piece" implies it is pretty much destroyed as well as Ted's comment.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I generally ship via FedEx but have received several guitars through UPS from various companies, and have not had any issues so far.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
In this entire thread all I have read specifically is the case has a crack. Usually when someone post something of this nature they overly so share the damage. Maybe because the damage happened at the other end?? Dunno?

Not that I'd welcome any guitar being dropped to the extent of cracking the case but we really haven't heard what the specific damage is or did I miss something
Edit: I guess "Mostly one Piece" implies it is pretty much destroyed as well as Ted's comment.
I received 4 pics from Ted. All were of the case and the box. In our brief conversation yesterday, he wasn’t completely sure of the extent of the damage of the guitar. I will find out more after the work day today.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
If I'm shipping a guitar via UPS I'll take it to the UPS store and let them pack it. That way, if it's inadequate packaging, the fault undeniably lies with UPS...
The UPS Store is actually not part of UPS. Having them pack it doesn't guarantee a thing.

UPS sells what they call "agreed value", but it's not exactly insurance. I'm guessing they will fight you tooth and nail to avoid paying out.

This type of thing is why I sing the praises of Heritage Insurance(or one of the other dedicated carriers). It's the only real way to cover your bum on a deal like this.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
Nobody uses UPS to ship important stuff commercially that should tell you everything you want to know. Businesses almost always use Fedex when it counts.
Nonsense. I get more deliveries via UPS than FedEx.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorCocobolo View Post
US postal service does a good job shipping insured guitars and are typically cheaper than UPS and fedex.
This is the correct answer for next time. The United States Postal Service is the best.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
This is the correct answer for next time. The United States Postal Service is the best.
Hahahahaha! Now THAT is funny. USPS is the worst. I recently tried to track an item that said it was "USPS notified. Awaiting shipping". Days after that I actually received the item and when I went to see the tracking it STILL showed the same "awaiting shipping" message. I've also had items returned to sender because my address on the label said :

Name
street
City, state,zip
APARTMENT NUMBER (in caps on label)

Instead of :
Name
Street
apartment number
City, state, zip

Yep, the USPS returned it as they said they couldn't figure out which apartment it was going to. Duh! And yes, MORE than once this has happened. It's really no wonder they lose millions of $$ every year.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The most recent guitars that I've taken to a UPS terminal for shipment have been opened, photographed and repacked by UPS employees if the value was >$1000. I've got to wonder if this implies some form of tacit acceptance of the packaging job...
Interesting. I’ve never had that happen. But I always take detailed pictures of how I pack a guitar. I send them to the buyer so he/she knows the guitar has been safely packed. And I keep them to prove to the shipper/insurer that any damage wasn’t the result of poor packing...

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 10-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Interesting. I’ve never had that happen. But I always take detailed pictures of how I pack a guitar. I send them to the buyer so he/she knows the guitar has been safely packed. And I keep them to prove to the shipper/insurer that any damage wasn’t the result of poor packing...
When I asked about the procedure which is relatively new and I believe only done for terminal drop-offs, I was told that it's to prove that a scammer wasn't merely trying to send an expensive box of rocks (with a value >$1000) which would somehow get lost along the way. The logistics of that explanation didn't really make sense to me. I know that we get upset when our precious guitars are lost by UPS but how can you perpetrate a scam in which getting lost/stolen is a key component. For that matter, $1000 is the cutoff, why not perpetrate the same scam and declare the value at $999???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Sorry to hear that. The cynic in me says they will do everything they can to deny your claim, but I hope I'm wrong.
Probably correct, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
You stated it went "boom? off the UPS truck". If they dropped it or mis-handled it, you should be reimbursed up to the amount you insured it for.....With an all-inclusive policy on all your instruments this would be covered without question.
I don't even bother with so-called "shipper insurance" anymore - they build in too many exclusions and gotcha's to actually protect you. My key guitars are covered on an all-risk replacement value rider to my homeowner's policy, and I have written verification from my agent that they are also covered while in transit - even when being sold.

Quote:
Yes, and charge about twice the price versus self-packed, also IME. I have a private mailbox at a UPS store for my business, and have been down this road. USPS is better and cheaper, but their tracking system is poor and if there is a claim, they are VERY slow to resolve it. Thinks months, not weeks.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf91 View Post
The UPS Store is actually not part of UPS. Having them pack it doesn't guarantee a thing.
Oh, I'm well aware of that.

However, a UPS Store can't be a UPS store if the employees don't know how to prepare a package to UPS standards.

I've never had a problem, but I know of two people who've suffered damaged shipments and the conversation was over, and the claims were paid, as soon as it was shown that an employee at a UPS store packed the items...
Old 10-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Yes, and charge about twice the price versus self-packed
You pay for a box and packaging materials.

The last time I shipped a guitar with UPS that I'd packed myself, it cost me $74. When I had a UPS store package a guitar and ship it it cost me $92.

That $18 is well worth it to me to know I won't have any claims hassles in case of damage...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion