The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default LR Baggs Element VTC In Emerald X-20 Carbon Guitar = Decent Amplified Tone!

Having just received my Emerald X-20 Transparent Green with LR Baggs Element VTC pickup/preamp system, I was initially disappointed last night when plugging-in the system. There was a three-string loudness imbalance when playing through an amplifier. I'm pleased to now say that after some massaging of the bottom of saddle-slot, and the bottom of the bridge saddle, all strings amplify in a balanced relationship to one another, and given the UST nature of the system's Element pickup the system sounds pretty good overall. The nice thing about the Emerald X-20, and other carbon and carbon-composite guitars, is that because of the high-vibrational transmission efficiency of carbon-fiber, the Element UST acts like a hybrid UST/SBT in its ability to sense both string and top and body vibration. This gives fullness and warmth to the amplified tone that a UST isn't able to transmit in an all-wood guitar.

Given its UST-based design, I have no complaints about the basic amplified tone of this guitar, and it'll likely get even better when I route the Element VTC's output through an LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI, or a ToneDexter, or a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. More To Come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-19-2019, 04:50 PM

I run mine in my J35 through a Red Eye and it definitely helps. Much more “natural” tone, tames the quack.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

The Element VTC system in the Emerald X-20 works flawlessly with the Carvin WG5 Wireless Guitar/Bass System!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-24-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Having just received my Emerald X-20 Transparent Green with LR Baggs Element VTC pickup/preamp system, I was initially disappointed last night when plugging-in the system. There was a three-string loudness imbalance when playing through an amplifier. I'm pleased to now say that after some massaging of the bottom of saddle-slot, and the bottom of the bridge saddle, all strings amplify in a balanced relationship to one another, and given the UST nature of the system's Element pickup the system sounds pretty good overall. The nice thing about the Emerald X-20, and other carbon and carbon-composite guitars, is that because of the high-vibrational transmission efficiency of carbon-fiber, the Element UST acts like a hybrid UST/SBT in its ability to sense both string and top and body vibration. This gives fullness and warmth to the amplified tone that a UST isn't able to transmit in an all-wood guitar.

Given its UST-based design, I have no complaints about the basic amplified tone of this guitar, and it'll likely get even better when I route the Element VTC's output through an LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI, or a ToneDexter, or a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. More To Come ...
Having the same problem with my new blue X20. Last night plugged into a PA and heard the low E very loud and the B and high E too soft. So you take the strings off and play with the saddle and piezo to get it right?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Listening to my new Emerald X-20 with LR Baggs Element VTC, out in front of, and about 10-feet away, from my LR Baggs Synapse Personal PA Speaker, gives me a new respect for the LR Baggs Element VTC System. I don't hear any quack and all notes and chords are clear and pleasingly-rendered over the full frequency spectrum. It's likely due to the Emerald X-20 carbon-fiber setting of the LR Baggs Element VTC System that gives the system a really nice amplified tone--and I never thought I'd say anything very nice about any LR Baggs Element system!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Add an inexpensive fixed IR pedal like the Zoom A1 and you're good to go.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

I’ve said this before... but I’ve had several Gibsons with the Element VTC UST pickup. It’s a solid choice. I mean if you are a Doug Young or some of the serious talent in Show and Tell... you might go a different direction, but if you are playing Dad rock in bars (guilty!)... it works great.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:31 AM

I installed an LR Baggs element in my T5 and also put in a K&K pm - using the two strap pins as outputs. The Element sounds really good and very articulate. The K&K sounds very close to the K&K pms I have in 2 other Taylors.

I think the Element is a solid choice and I have not had any distortion issues using my HX Stomp and/or RedEye twin. Dad rock rules!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Having the same problem with my new blue X20. Last night plugged into a PA and heard the low E very loud and the B and high E too soft. So you take the strings off and play with the saddle and piezo to get it right?
Yes, I sanded the bottom of the saddle flat by putting it bottom-up in a vice and using a dial indicator to level the saddle end-to-end and then sanding down the bottom of the saddle to the top of the vice jaws. This flattens and squares the bottom of the saddle. Next, I used my 1/8 inch-wide Stewart-MacDonald saddle-slot leveler to go back-and-forth in the slot to file the saddle slot flat. You can tell when the bottom of the slot is level as it has a uniform texture end-to-end. Reassemble everything and test it and likely you'll have good string-to-string amplified balance. The Stewart-MacDonald Saddle Slot Levelers come in both a 3/32 inch and a 1/8 inch width. I purchased both so that I have Martin and other brands covered when the need arises to level a saddle slot for better UST signal balance. Stewart-MacDonald Saddle Slot Levelers

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-17-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:12 PM

That's pretty cool! I too went back to a UST (Matrix) and have been pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I mean these systems will always sound like a UST but both Fishman and Lr Baggs seem to be doing great things to make them sound their best. I pair mine with the aura but I want to use my session di as well to see if I can warm/fatten up the tone even more!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:21 AM

I recently bought a J45 that came with the Element VTC pickup. I assumed I'd be swapping it out for a Anthem or something else, but I just haven't had to. It sounds very good just as is. Even straight into a PA with no DI box or mothing. It's also a VERY hot pickup. I have to warn guys running Open Mics to turn down their master before I plug in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification