The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Again, not on an acoustic, but I have a '98 Telecaster Deluxe that is more custom than deluxe at this point. It has a 1970s vintage reproduction neck and locking tuners; it has been entirely rewired and has Fralin Blues Special pickups. I also replaced the bridge with a six-barrel for better intonation. Literally the only thing left stock is the body itself.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I put new strings on a guitar i got for free. Does that count?
FYI: new strings did not help.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilesDaGuitar View Post
Has anyone spent more on upgrades then cost of guitar? I've spent over $900 on upgrades on my Yamaha LL16. Upgraded Case, Nut, Saddle, Pins, End Pin, K&K Pure Mini and Plek Set-Up. My wife is ready to choke me to death...lol.. I think I have the most expensive Yamaha LL16 in the World...lol
I can see getting a top shelf case. It's an investment in itself. Other than setup and maintenance I don't personally see the need to upgrade parts on my acoustic guitars. To each their own. Heck..I play banjo and believe me, banjo players will buy anything!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Not guitars or cars, but Helene's Harley ended up costing more in custom work than the original price tag of the bike.

I've got a couple of Harleys, and I remember being in a dealership in Myrtle Beach a few years back...

A guy was leaning on the counter while his wife kept piling up Harley shirts, jeans, jewelry, jackets, just going all out...

The guy looked at me and said "Nobody told me that buying the bike was just the starter kit...."
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM

No, never. If I want an upgraded guitar I put the money that I might have spent on adding things into buying an overall higher quality guitar.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Has anyone spent more on upgrades then cost of guitar? I've spent over $900 on upgrades on my Yamaha LL16. Upgraded Case, Nut, Saddle, Pins, End Pin, K&K Pure Mini and Plek Set-Up. My wife is ready to choke me to death...lol.. I think I have the most expensive Yamaha LL16 in the World...lol
including the k&k pure mini (and maybe also the case) isn't quite fair.

i've certainly spent more on upgrades then the cost of the guitar. i actually think it's rather cool.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 AM

Well, I spent $75 in 1964 to acquire my 1935 0-18, and around $150 in 1979 to have it refretted and the neck reset.

I'm OK with that.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
First off, let's assume you bought the guitar new. OK, did you specifically buy a pure acoustic version, with the intent of putting your preferred electronics package in the guitar? Because an acoustic is always cheaper than an AE model of the same guitar.

If that was the case, you saved money at the outset, and at the very least, that cost differential would have to be subtracted from the cost of the "upgrades".

OK, granted I'm nitpicking, but still making some sense. If you wanted AE from the jump, but bought an acoustic instead, you can't call the electronics an upgrade buy any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Not with any acoustic I've ever owned, but I did buy a Sammick Stratocaster copy for $40, and put several hundred dollars into it (everything but the body has been changed out).

Now I have a nice looking Stratcaster that has custom electronics (Graph Tech Ghost piezo saddles and pre amp, separate volumes for that system and the magnetic pickups, a Gilmore switch for the electronic pickups), a big headstock Fender neck (S series), gold hard ware, black pick guard with Lace red pickups.
You should post a thread in the electric guitar sub forum. I'd like to see and read about it. It's fun doing these kinds of mods.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 AM

The only 'upgrade', if you can call it that, that I have ever made is changing plastic bridge pins for more aesthetically pleasing ones.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 AM

Only upgrades that I have done is the case. If the guitar comes with a gig bag I buy a hard shell case.
The guitars are all stock....even the electrics.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 AM

I have done it for electric guitars.

I bought a Squier Tele for a really good price recently, fine neck and body but the pickups, electronics, tuners were awful. I put in new pickups, tuners, CTS pots, switchcraft electrics and new saddles.

I kind of like it that way, things like pickups, pots etc are a very personal thing for an electric guitar. Like strings for an acoustic guitar in some ways.

I've not spent more on upgrades for an acoustic guitar. Aside from new nuts, saddles I've not had to 'upgrade' anything.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 AM

No but I have spent more on repairs than a guitar would ever bring if I put it up for sale. Not hard to do when a neck set alone runs me $300. I have never once regretted it.

Electrics though are a whole other ballgame. Those old Fender Squire 51's were real popular guitars to use as a platform for upgrades.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 AM

No. But that's because I buy guitare's that I appreciate and enjoy so there's no reason to change anything but strings. The LL16 shouldn't have needed anything but maybe a set up.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM

My 87 epiphone s310 (strat copy with a Jackson like head stock) is on the bench awaiting money lol. I paid 100 bucks for it so pretty much anything will outweight the cost of the guitar. Best strat I've ever played by far and that's compared to real deal American fenders and other nice copies. When that's considered even dumping a grand in it is worth it because it'll still be cheaper and play better than many American fenders (imo of course). All said when she's done though I'll have maybe 3-400 in upgrades for a guitar that will eat most anything alive. Acoustics don't really offer much in this respect imho. Set up and maybe tuners, nuts, saddles, most everything else is cosmetic and I don't care for bling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion