The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Default '77 Yamaha FG-345 - Solid top?

I recently purchased a 1977 Yamaha FG-345 on Craig's List. It was in pretty rough shape but I liked it anyway and read they were hard to come by, so I brought it to a luthier who spent a month or so restoring it (neck reset, bridge replacement, re-fret). It's now one if the best sounding acoustics I have ever played. I have read that the FG series from the 70's had laminate tops, but the luthier told me that the spruce top to my FG-345 is, in fact, solid, showing me how the grain is consistent through the top. According to the serial number, my guitar was manufactured in March 1977. Did Yamaha indeed make some solid top FGs?

Last edited by bobsmart567; 03-09-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmart567 View Post
I recently purchased a 1977 Yamaha FG-345 on Craig's List. It was in pretty rough shape but I liked it anyway and read they were hard to come by, so I brought it to a luthier who spent a month or so restoring it (neck reset, bridge replacement, re-fret). It's now one if the best sounding acoustics I have ever played. I have read that the FG series from the 70's had laminate tops, but the luthier told me that the spruce top to my FG-345 is, in fact, solid, showing me how the grain is consistent through the top. According to the serial number, my guitar was manufactured in March 1977. Did Yamaha indeed make some solid top FGs? Even though I spent more than the guitar is worth to get it playable, I have no qualms. The warm, rich tone is gorgeous, the action is great, and I'll be holding onto this one for good!
Hi,

I had a 1978 Yamaha FG-365s. The 'S' signified soild top. It was pretty good but not fantastic. I think some of them can be quite good.
You can check your model at this link:

http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararc...mberWizard.asp

Last edited by Legolas1971; 02-20-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I recently purchased a 1977 Yamaha FG-345 on Craig's List. It was in pretty rough shape but I liked it anyway and read they were hard to come by, so I brought it to a luthier who spent a month or so restoring it (neck reset, bridge replacement, re-fret). It's now one if the best sounding acoustics I have ever played. I have read that the FG series from the 70's had laminate tops, but the luthier told me that the spruce top to my FG-345 is, in fact, solid, showing me how the grain is consistent through the top. According to the serial number, my guitar was manufactured in March 1977. Did Yamaha indeed make some solid top FGs? Even though I spent more than the guitar is worth to get it playable, I have no qualms. The warm, rich tone is gorgeous, the action is great, and I'll be holding onto this one for good!
This is one of the 'big' - if I can use that phrase wrt to a relatively humble series of guitars - myths/questions re FG Yamahas.

There are several points.

In general, it is thought that FGs with solid tops had model numbers suffixed 's', eg FG-345s.

A lot of people think they have a solid top. However, on close examination with large magnification it isn't. I'm not saying that is the case with yours, but I've known people be wrong, and it can be very difficult to tell unless you are very thorough and use large magnification and good light.

The FG-345 was not specified as having a solid top, merely 'Spruce', and we all know what that means.

I personally have not seen a solid top on an FG that did not have an S suffix.

Ignore for a while what the luthier said, get yourself a good magnifier and take a long hard look at that sound hole. It would be interesting to know. If it's solid, congratulations!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Solid top

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
This is one of the 'big' - if I can use that phrase wrt to a relatively humble series of guitars - myths/questions re FG Yamahas.

There are several points.

In general, it is thought that FGs with solid tops had model numbers suffixed 's', eg FG-345s.

A lot of people think they have a solid top. However, on close examination with large magnification it isn't. I'm not saying that is the case with yours, but I've known people be wrong, and it can be very difficult to tell unless you are very thorough and use large magnification and good light.

The FG-345 was not specified as having a solid top, merely 'Spruce', and we all know what that means.

I personally have not seen a solid top on an FG that did not have an S suffix.

Ignore for a while what the luthier said, get yourself a good magnifier and take a long hard look at that sound hole. It would be interesting to know. If it's solid, congratulations!
The few exceptions to the "S" designation are pretty rare, but still documented, like the FG440, Fg450, FX335, FGX04LTD. The DW series is solid top as well.
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Default And the verdict is...

Thanks for the kind replies. Indeed - after close inspection and the benefit of my camera lenses, pretty sure I am looking at plywood

Last edited by bobsmart567; 03-09-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Still supposed to be a good sounding guitar and my yammy from early 80s is almost as good sounding with a plywood top as my solid top.

I have another one that is awful. Good tone is good tone no matter the reasons.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Found one today at the pawn shop

I stopped in at a local pawn shop in Albemarle,NC today to look at tools. Strummed a few of the guitars hanging on the wall and wow, one sounded great - deep, resonant, loud, balanced. The price was $140 and it sounded like a $1000 guitar easily. The others were more expensive and downright awful BTW.

I had no prior knowledge of the Yamaha FG-345 (mine had a 'II' after it; not sure what that means), having played Collings and Martins mainly.
Walked out with a mitre saw and a Yamaha guitar. It was in mint condition too.
Been playing it tonight and I could not be more pleased.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 11-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
I stopped in at a local pawn shop in Albemarle,NC today to look at tools. Strummed a few of the guitars hanging on the wall and wow, one sounded great - deep, resonant, loud, balanced. The price was $140 and it sounded like a $1000 guitar easily. The others were more expensive and downright awful BTW.

I had no prior knowledge of the Yamaha FG-345 (mine had a 'II' after it; not sure what that means), having played Collings and Martins mainly.
Walked out with a mitre saw and a Yamaha guitar. It was in mint condition too.
Been playing it tonight and I could not be more pleased.
My guitar tech has proudly hanging on his wall a 60s Japanese Yamaha that he's kept since he bought new and is and always will be his go to acoustic. I forget the exact model, FG160 possibly but not certain. This man has handled more high end Martins, Gibsons and luthier built instruments than you can shake a stick at but this modest guitar is more than enough to serve his needs. Anytime I find myself tempted by a guitar on sale I pinch myself and think of him, if that guitar is good enough for a man with 50+ years playing behind him I should manage with my Martin.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Love your note Foxo, thanks! It's all about the sound, and if it's inexpensive, all the better.

BTW, where in Scotland. I've been all over Skye, and my family came from Inverness a while back.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 11-02-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Love your note Foxo, thanks! It's all about the sound, and if it's inexpensive, all the better.

BTW, where in Scotland. I've been all over Skye, and my family came from Inverness a while back.
Ah nice, I know Inverness well. Skye is beautiful, I have only been once though.

I stay in the not quite so scenic Inverkeithing (Fife) but it’s close travelling distance to Edinburgh where I try to fit in an open mic once a week. If you ever find yourself down here and wanting to play to an open mic send me a PM.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

bbrown... sounds like a great find. Congrats!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind replies. Indeed - after close inspection and the benefit of my camera lenses, pretty sure I am looking at plywood

It's "plywood"...but...it really isn't!

Yamaha did, and still does to this day, a really careful and high quality job making and using laminate woods on their guitars, both tops and back and sides.

Back from the 50's and even again up till now, Yamaha used really high quality veneer wood and often made laminates using the same veneer species throughout the laminate "sandwich", so their laminates were super high quality. They do still do this today on some of their higher end laminate models, but they also now use a slightly less expensive laminate sandwich with an inner veneer piece of wood that is a different species than the outer layers of the laminate, which is the most common method used to laminate wood on lower cost guitars these days.

This is the reason the old laminate Yamaha's often sound so good. Though they were made with laminates, they were the absolute best acoustic quality laminates that could be done, with the exception of ultra rare and high end laminates on professional grade instruments.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-30-2021, 11:44 PM

Default Dimensions of Yamaha FG345

I have found a neck broken Yamaha FG 345. Can some some help me with the dimensions of the guitar- as one half of neck is missing from bridge onwards. I need to make a new neck as I want to restore it. Is it a 41 inch or 40 inch guitar? Is there a place online where I can buy the original Yamaha Japan logo marked tunning pegs? I intend to remove the fret board and instal a new neck and re instal the original fret board If any one has complete dimensions/ specifications of the guitar please share as it would be very helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg-345, yamaha fg, yamaha fg-345