The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
Has anyone tried these strings back to back?
Do they have the same sound?

My Larrivee J-03 came with EXP16, but I really don't care for the feel, but I think that the sound of the D'addario strings are growing on me.

Thanks.
I use both EJ16 and EXP16. I like them both very much. The EXPs sound the best on my Taylor -- a little sweeter, louder. The EJ16s sound better than any other string on my Seagull S6. They are pretty similar on my Recording King.

I'm still experimenting with the Martin. So far the Daddario DADGAD gauge phosphor bronze (EJ24? ...mixed set) and the Martin SP medium/light gauge are both excellent ...albeit slightly different tone.

EXPs sounded pretty dead on my Martin, I think it really just depends on the specific guitar.

Currently in the Stable
1993 Martin D-28 1935 Special
1996 Taylor 914c
1996 Taylor 712-BRZ
2010 Martin Custom OM-28V
2011 Seagull S6 Cedar Top
2012 Martin Custom Shop Dread
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Uncoated PB medium is the standard strings most lutheirs use when building and testing new designs, even Taylor and other vendors that ship with coated strings prototype and build with uncoated PBs (at least according to recent interviews related to 800 series)...
That's very interesting, considering that Taylor is harping about the new Elixir HD strings designed specifically to complement the new 800 series. Would you please provide a link to where you got that information? I'd be most interested to read it...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Do both sets ( EJ16 and EXP16) have the same tension?

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster

Last edited by earri; 04-17-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
Has anyone tried these strings back to back?
Do they have the same sound?

My Larrivee J-03 came with EXP16, but I really don't care for the feel, but I think that the sound of the D'addario strings are growing on me.

Thanks.
Hi rrgg...

Different sound and the EXP squeak like crazy (actually if you slide they squeal like crazy). It's because instead of coating the entire string after it's wound, they only coat the outside wound wire, so it's like playing non-skid strings.

The tone of the EXP are muted compared to the non-coated strings. I don't seen any life extension beyond the difference in price. In other words, EXP cost about 1˝ times the EJ, and they last about 1˝ times as long.

The tone over the life of the coated is more uniform, but it's uniformly bad compared to the non-coated D'Addarios.

Just my observations...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Thank you so much for all your input.
Over the last 3 years I've compared them the 2 on different guitars and I've come to the conclusion that I like them on some guitars and not so much on others.
They last a long time, but boy are they noisy!

Back on November, December 2010 I started to put these strings on several guitars and have since replaced them with the exception of my Ovation 1771 and my Blueridge BR140A I kind of like them on these 2 guitars.

BTW, Back on 12-10 I put on a set of Elixir PB Nanos on my Larrivee L-03WL and I just fell in love with the sound. The strings are still on the guitar, the strings are beginning to fall apart, but they still sound really good! I think its time for a fresh set.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rrgg...

Different sound and the EXP squeak like crazy (actually if you slide they squeal like crazy). It's because instead of coating the entire string after it's wound, they only coat the outside wound wire, so it's like playing non-skid strings.

The tone of the EXP are muted compared to the non-coated strings. I don't seen any life extension beyond the difference in price. In other words, EXP cost about 1˝ times the EJ, and they last about 1˝ times as long.

The tone over the life of the coated is more uniform, but it's uniformly bad compared to the non-coated D'Addarios.

Just my observations...

It's thoughts, similar experiences like this which eventually lead me to Elixirs.

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-17-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM

I seem to remember earlier this year a D'Addario rep who posts here from time to time saying they were reworking the EXP's and should have a new generation of them on the market soon.. Would love to get a set and see if they are better than the current ones.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-06-2019, 12:25 AM

Best test I've seen on D'Addario strings, the graphs from measuring devices is really where you'll see it. This is EJ11's compared to EXP11's & EXP16's. Would've loved to have seen the data on EJ16's to compare directly with the EXP16's. D'Addario has done a fine job with consistency between the uncoated EJ11's & EXP11's 80/20 Bronze, I would expect the EJ16's & EXP16's to be similar as uncoated & coated, but the EJ16's weren't tested in the video. What I liked about the video, my Ovation Applause AE128 comes with EXP11's 80/20 from Ovation. Ovation uses D'Addario with the Applause & Celebrity products (< $ 500 beginner's guitars) exclusively and Adamas OV1818E's for every intermediate => professional product > $ 500. I'm hoping the EXP16's Phosphur Bronzes may make the Applause I have sound closer to their premium guitars that come with Adamas OV1818E's ? They're not going to have the same pickups/electronics module. But for the Ovation, the super shallow bowl is the same shape & dimension across the board, the only difference are the soundboard for grade of sitka spruce to laminated and whether the fretboard is bound. I had to get a case for the pre-owned Applause I bought, so I know the Applause round hole style dimensions of the bowl were the same as the Celebrity & Balladeer the music store had that were of different vintage production years. I can't imagine them changing that for the side hole leaf style bowls. Regarding that case, the Ovation is unique enough to warrant getting Ovation's case rather than another brand and stuffing it with more foam or bath towels to secure the guitar in a hard case. Anyway, would be fun to watch a blindfolded challenge to see a self proclaimed expert tell the difference of guitars & even the strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6qZhkd1M4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion