The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-04-2022, 05:07 AM

Default Contemplating Getting Another Archtop

I've played archtop electrics for a long time (in both rock and jazz - my current one as an Eastman AR380CE Pisano - a great guitar), but I've only dabbled briefly with the all acoustic variety. I almost bought a wonderful sounding Gretsch G400 Synchromatic a little over 10 years ago (I put it on layaway, but I couldn't quite swing paying it off), and owned the F-hole version of the Epiphone Century Deluxe 3 years ago (not a bad sounding guitar, but at the time, I couldn't figure where it would fit musically in music I like to play). The acoustic archtop GAS has never really went away, so I have a hankering for another one (though at the present time, I'm in the contemplating stage). The thing is, I'm sick of shooting in the dark, learning by trial and error about which ones are good - especially since acoustic archtops aren't common in my neck of the woods, and returning internet purchases/musical failures are a pain IMO.

With that in mind, what do you esteemed archtop lovers recommend for an acoustic archtop? I've set myself a limit of about $1600. I'll consider new, used and vintage (I like the Stewarts, but realize that the cost of neck resets, and other restoration work can enter the realm of beaucoup bucks). Round or f-holes (with a slight bias towards round holes) will work for me, and I have slight bias towards 17" lower bouts (probably because for years, I played Gretsch Country Clubs - also I think the larger bodies add a little extra bass to the sound). Thin necks need not apply.

P.S. - I had a love affair with Gretsch Country Clubs for years. I quit playing them because of their thin necks. If I can find an older one with at least a decent medium C neck (.850" or thicker at the first fret), I might end up taking a deep breath, and spending the additional money for it.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 05-04-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:39 AM

There isn't a whole lot out there in the way of inexpensive 17" archtops. The Guild A-150 is 17" and comes with a floating pickup for $1600 or less depending on the exact model; it has a solid, pressed top.

If you'll consider 16", the Loar LH-600 is all carved and sells for $1100 new. The LH-700 has some upgrades in the woods and sells for $1750 (less for used, obviously).
Old 05-04-2022, 07:16 PM

I second Old Fret's suggestion, a Loar 600 or 700. Much as i like my vintage Epiphones, and unless one is prepared to pay significantly more than $1600(for one that is truly is excellent playing condition), vintage usually requires some degree of expensive setup or repair. Those higher end Loars can be very nice acoustic archtops. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
...I've set myself a limit of about $1600. I'll consider new, used and vintage...I have slight bias towards 17" lower bouts...Thin necks need not apply...If I can find an older one with at least a decent medium C neck (.850" or thicker at the first fret), I might end up taking a deep breath, and spending the additional money for it...
Take a deep breath and save your bucks, because you've just described a New York-era Epiphone to a T; while a good 17" Deluxe or 18" Emperor will set you back at least $5000-6000 (and even at those prices they're still 40-50% cheaper than their Gibson L-5/Super 400 counterparts), structurally-sound player-grade 17" Devon/Triumph/Broadway models can still be had in the $2000-2500 range if you're willing to wait for the right one. They're also good news if you prefer thick necks (I don't, and yet I generally found most of them - including my own '46 Blackstone - comfortable to play) - most of the postwar examples have first-fret thicknesses in the .88-92" range, with occasional examples boasting a sitar-like 1.15-1.20" at the tenth fret. IME you'll also find the 1946-1954 production generally cheaper than the prewar versions in comparable condition - there are a number of contributing factors in play here (some valid, some not) that I'm not going to get into right now - and as I said before, a little patience and due diligence on your part can land you your dream archtop...
Old 05-04-2022, 09:50 PM

I'm partial to Eastman's (Eastmen?). A quick Google search revealed several used Eastman archtops for under $1600.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:20 AM

A second to Steve da Rosa's advice, at least if one's ear is capable of telling the difference. As much as I like the Loar 600 I found a while back, the sound that I prefer comes from my '46 Broadway (very traditional chunk) or my Eastman 805CE (slightly softer chunk but still quite swingable, and an excellent amplified-50s-jazz voice). The Loar's voice is loud and not quite as refined as the other two--but in an amplified setting, many of the distinctions get minimized. If I had the good fortune to be asked to play acoustic rhythm in, say, a five- or six-piece outfit with horns, the Loar would do fine. And the Epi would do better.

(There's also a Benedetto/Epiphone-inspired Tom Crandall archtop that has an even more modern voice that's currently getting outfitted with a floating humbucker so I can take it to the RF-noisy environment where I sit in. It can also chunk on demand but is optimized for acoustic chord-melody operation.)
Old 05-06-2022, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I'm partial to Eastman's (Eastmen?). A quick Google search revealed several used Eastman archtops for under $1600.
"Real" Archtops by Eastman are very well made but to my ears, tend to sound a little like flat tops.

I still recommend that someone wanting to experiment with the sound and feel of an archtop on a budget, explore old Harmonys.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the input people. You have some very intriguing suggestions. In an ideal situation, I would like to have the 40s Epiphone Emperor, that my uncle (Guitar Generation #2 in the family) inherited from my grandfather (Guitar Generation #1), but unfortunately, he might have sold it about 15 or 20 years ago, when he was in a financial crunch, or <gasp!> given it to my cousin (his youngest son), who also plays guitar - he has a few videos on YouTube (besides him having a smart mouth, I'm not impressed with his playing - he's just a basic chord chunker). Oh well.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 05-06-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:17 PM

I'm doing some Reverb surfing today - and combined with some research over the last week or so, I'm kind of gravitating towards The Loars (LH700, LH600, and [no longer made] LH-400), due to their necks being a bit wider - they have 1.750" wide nuts. The other thought is an Eastman AR610 (also with a 1.75" wide nut). I'm especially intrigued by the no longer made LH-400, due to its round sound hole. I seriously considering buying one a few years ago, but waffled on it. The thing is, I can't find any sound demos of them on YouTube. Has anybody played one? I realize that round hole archtops sound a bit different from the f-hole variety, but it is a sound I like (along with the f-hole variety sound).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 05-10-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
...In an ideal situation, I would like to have the '40s Epiphone Emperor that my uncle (Guitar Generation #2 in the family) inherited from my grandfather (Guitar Generation #1), but unfortunately he might have sold it about 15 or 20 years ago, when he was in a financial crunch...
Once in a rare while, life gives you a second chance at your first love (super-clean for a 75-year-old guitar BTW - and as I said before, less than half the price of a comparable Gibson Super 400):

https://www.archtop.com/ac_46emp_222.html
Old 05-10-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Once in a rare while, life gives you a second chance at your first love (super-clean for a 75-year-old guitar BTW - and as I said before, less than half the price of a comparable Gibson Super 400):

https://www.archtop.com/ac_46emp_222.html
Steve—That’s a Beautiful 1940s Emperor. Yes your correct—if your patient— Vintage Epiphone Arch tops —pop up occasionally at a very reasonable price. I learned decades ago. I had a chance to play old Epiphone Arch -tops Along side a few Dangelico and Gibsons. The Epiphone’s to my ear had it going on.

Last edited by Sage Runner; 05-11-2022 at 11:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops