The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-06-2022, 12:54 PM

Default Tuned down a whole step with capo 2

I’ve strung my D-28 with medium stings, tuned it down a whole step, and capo’d it at the second fret. I had to raise the saddle a little and add a little extra relief to the neck to get it to play cleanly. I like it a lot! Has anyone else had experience trying this?
Thanks,
Mike.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 04-06-2022, 01:20 PM

Hi Mike, I keep most of my guitars tuned down 1/2 step to fit my vocals better. Even so, I still use capos frequently on the 2nd fret when down 1/2 step... or on the first fret in standard for some songs (for vocals).

Are you going to keep it a full step down and use a capo for most of your playing?
Old 04-06-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Mike, I keep most of my guitars tuned down 1/2 step to fit my vocals better. Even so, I still use capos frequently on the 2nd fret when down 1/2 step... or on the first fret in standard for some songs (for vocals).

Are you going to keep it a full step down and use a capo for most of your playing?
I also am half step down to help with vocals and string tension. I try to only capo at 2 and 4 though so my dots remain relatively correct. My brain is easily confused…

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM

I tried a full capo for a while, but I found it was a little too much. 1/2 step down works perfectly for me.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Hello Dru! Yes, I'd like to keep it the way for most of my playing, flatpicking and fingerstyle.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 04-06-2022, 02:24 PM

I keep 2 guitars tuned down 1/2 step. I tried a full step but the strings lost tension and the guitar sounded dead. I also have a baritone that I keep tuned to C#. This has become a very fun guitar.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:24 PM

Yes, a nice experiment. It usually improves the feel of the action and may well improve the tone of the guitar. Give it a whirl. Many pros have. - Stevo
Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 PM

Tuning a guitar down a half step is fine if you are playing by yourself. It can really make it difficult for anyone trying to play with you however.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaulz View Post
I’ve strung my D-28 with medium stings, tuned it down a whole step, and capo’d it at the second fret. I had to raise the saddle a little and add a little extra relief to the neck to get it to play cleanly. I like it a lot! Has anyone else had experience trying this?
Thanks,
Mike.
Hi, I understand using medium gauge strings - as that would be normal for a dreadnought.

However I don't understand the purpose of tuning down one step/tone, and ten using a capo at 2nd fret in order to bring it back to normal, but, effectively making your guitar 12 fret.

Would you please explain the rationale for this practice?

I'm confused.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I understand using medium gauge strings - as that would be normal for a dreadnought.

However I don't understand the purpose of tuning down one step/tone, and ten using a capo at 2nd fret in order to bring it back to normal, but, effectively making your guitar 12 fret.

I'm confused.
I agree, it confuses me too. There seem to be some interesting superstitions in some of the answers so far....
Old 04-08-2022, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaulz View Post
I’ve strung my D-28 with medium stings, tuned it down a whole step, and capo’d it at the second fret. I had to raise the saddle a little and add a little extra relief to the neck to get it to play cleanly.
This seems a very weird thing to do. More relief and higher action cause more intonation problems, because you're moving the strings further when fretting them, pushing them sharp. The lower tension would also encourage this.

Plus - with capo on 2 - you're losing 2 frets from the fretboard, and the dots are now all in the wrong places for finding your way around.

Downtuning can reveal a whole load of attractive new resonances in an acoustic guitar. And if your voice is bass register, it can be helpful to be able to have the guitar go lower sometimes.

But if you're putting the capo on 2 (to be back in EADGBE) the only advantage I can think of is the different tone of heavier strings. Thicker strings have a warmer, fuller tone, and tuning them down means you don't feel the extra tension they would normally have. But the fact you needed to increase the relief and raise the saddle is definitely a bad sign, IMO.

I'd suggest using a chromatic tuner to check all your fretted notes - anywhere on any string - just to be sure your intonation is still OK.

Last edited by JonPR; 04-08-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
This seems a very weird thing to do. More relief and higher action cause more intonation problems, because you're moving the strings further when fretting them, pushing them sharp. The lower tension would also encourage this.

Plus - with capo on 2 - you're losing 2 frets from the fretboard, and the dots are now all in the wrong places for finding your way around.

Downtuning can reveal a whole load of attractive new resonances in an acoustic guitar. And if your voice is bass register, it can be helpful to be able to have the guitar go lower sometimes.

But if you're putting the capo on 2 (to be back in EADGBE) the only advantage I can think of is the different tone of heavier strings. Thicker strings have a warmer, fuller tone, and tuning them down means you don't feel the extra tension they would normally have. But the fact you needed to increase the relief and raise the saddle is definitely a bad sign, IMO.

I'd suggest using a chromatic tuner to check all your fretted notes - anywhere on any string - just to be sure your intonation is still OK.
I have my guitars tuned down 1/2 tone since I realised that my voice had lowered with age ,
I have not experienced any problems.
I also keep a short scale guitar tuned down same 1/2 step but using 13 gauge strings which should produce a similar tension to the op tuning down a whole tone on a full scale guitar, I made a saddle to suit and all works fine no problems with intonation.
What difference is there really to this and using the same guitar to play in multiple tunings ?This is what many pro guitarists of great stature past and present have done.
The dots are in a different place, so what?!! Get used to it, the dots are in a different place every time one uses a capo whatever way the guitar is tuned.
And I aggree with the op I like the fuller tone of heavier strings tuned lower.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I would imagine the reason is to make a long scale guitar into a short scale guitar. At least that's what I did one time with a long scale Bourgeois dread. Tuned it down a whole step and capo'd at the second fret. Instant short scale playing comfort for those who are not blessed with ape-like long arms!!
Old 04-08-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I'm confused.
It's not that hard. I tune down a full step on acoustic so that, with one guitar, I can:

1. Sing most anything I want to and accompany myself and stay within my vocal range.

2. Capo 1 and play with a particular partner who tends to tune down a half step.

3. Capo 2 and be at concert pitch.

4. Play with lower tension: I mostly play electric, so giving myself a break on string tension on acoustic is nice.

It's a compromise, for sure, but it works pretty well.

Last edited by Paleolith54; 04-08-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
I have my guitars tuned down 1/2 tone since I realised that my voice had lowered with age ,
I have not experienced any problems.
I also keep a short scale guitar tuned down same 1/2 step but using 13 gauge strings which should produce a similar tension to the op tuning down a whole tone on a full scale guitar, I made a saddle to suit and all works fine no problems with intonation.
What difference is there really to this and using the same guitar to play in multiple tunings ?This is what many pro guitarists of great stature past and present have done.
Of course. That's all fine. But the OP is putting the capo back on 2 so as to be in EADGBE. How different is that really from EADGBE with no capo?

I do recognise there potential subtle differences. And i just thought of another one: shorter scale length! So any difficult stretches without the capo (between frets 0-3 anyway) are easier if you shorten the strings but keep the tuning.
Quote:
The dots are in a different place, so what?!! Get used to it, the dots are in a different place every time one uses a capo whatever way the guitar is tuned.
Sure. I was really just thinking about the "EADGBE on fret 2" issue. It seems to lose the main advantage of tuning down.
Quote:
And I aggree with the op I like the fuller tone of heavier strings tuned lower.
Yes, I accept that. It was mainly the raising of the action that sounded like a risky idea. Personally, to get the advantage of the different string tone, I'd want to balance the tuning and the tension so the action and relief needed no adjustment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write