The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-31-2022, 07:16 AM

Default Best YouTube Voice Lessons

Seeking recommendations. I’m finally starting to feel up to playing (broken shoulder followed by surgery) and would like to get more confident in my singing as well. I also can only do about twenty minutes playing before I need a break so this would give me something else musical to work on.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 03-31-2022, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Seeking recommendations. I’m finally starting to feel up to playing (broken shoulder followed by surgery) and would like to get more confident in my singing as well. I also can only do about twenty minutes playing before I need a break so this would give me something else musical to work on.
David, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Unfortunately, I can contribute nothing more than my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
David
Old 04-01-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi david…
Bummer!

The best voice lessons are conducted 'in-person'.

I can tell you from experience (as a teacher and recordist) that people do not hear nor analyze their own voices…and which characteristics of their own voices which are good or bad.

The trend these days is to not call them voice lessons or voice teachers, but vocal coaches and coaching sessions, and I like that better than the formality of lessons which causes people to shed their unique vocal qualities and try to shift them to a more classical style of singing.

And you won't likely get that from a video. A couple in-person lessons which teach you how to hear yourself, and how to breathe more properly and support your tone would be helpful.

But if the teacher is trying to turn you into Carusso…run! (unless you want to sound like an operatic singer from Italy).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-05-2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
As far as I can see they mostly seem to recomend simillar exercises to develop the basic essentials of good technique which as far as I can tell from the videos are breathing, lowering the larynx raising the soft pallette lowering the tongue and releasing the minimal amount of air needed to produce a tone so just watch several and try the exercises untill you are able to manipulate your physiology in the required manner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write