The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-22-2022, 08:16 PM

Double post.

Last edited by CollingsPicker; 03-22-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:11 PM

I was playing in bands when I was 14. I was writing back then and I had a similarly unpleasant encounter with my mom around 16. It took a little bit but learned that my first priority was/is me. I began playing in the parks in Washington DC at lunchtime and played original material around strangers. I knew who liked it mostly by their reaction/response to the music - if they moved closer to hear.

Decades later after many, many years on both coasts and now semi-retired, I still play for me. What you experienced was unpleasant, so I feel your pain. It will pass. If you haven’t seen the movie Yesterday - watch it. There is a scene at 23:10 that is similar to your experience. I suggest you watch it, and the whole movie in context.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:17 AM

Why should you care what anyone thinks of your art? What artist does such a thing? The kind that should instead be an accountant.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:06 PM

Honestly, most people do not know, or care to know how much effort a musician puts into creating their songs. They see movies like Rocketman and see the dramatization of how “easy” Elton John was able to put music to words. They listen over-produced over dubbed music on the radio and then you play your song and it sounds nothing like a “professional” player would. OR...if they are your family/close friends which is what it sounds like...they have heard you working on this over and over for the past few months and what you played/performed for them isn't "new", it's the same song they have been hearing for the past X many months or so.

I am frigging amazed at the talent people have here in AGF. Their videos show just how much passion they have for their craft.

So, just keep at it, keep doing what you love and writing the music you want to write. Don’t write for others, write for yourself. Maybe one day you will write songs that catch other people’s attention, but even if that doesn’t happen, the most important person to that music will know what you have done, and it will be a part of you always
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 03-31-2022 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPickn View Post
Unfortunately it was just a one minute instrumental fiddle tune. I've decided not to share anymore. At least not in that way. As for playing, I think getting a BOSS GT 1000 is the answer. More tones. More fun.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with short instrumental songs. I think a lot of us here associate short songs as being used to show off how a particular guitar sounds - for instance, look at the guild website and see the videos they put out to show the tone of a guitar - but those songs are important too. They are not just there to show off a tone, they represent the passion the artist has put into their work.

The only person that needs to be happy with your music is YOU...
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 03-31-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I have been going through a music crisis lately. After several years of studying, playing and performing country rag blues I quit. I don't feel like playing that material anymore. My friends and musicians have asked about what's going on and I have told them I'm not doing the fingerpicking thing anymore etc. They don't care. They just want me to play. Not that they ever listened to me anyway. So, what's that?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-03-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

….writing songs is like having kids to me…not really but…..you can be painfully aware of their shortcomings but you still have to love them and nurture them to bring out their best qualities….when it comes to judgements by others…that’s unavoidable and only matters if and to what degree I care….it’s nice to write a song that everyone likes but i know that some songs I write don’t have that universal appeal…..I don’t expect every song I write to be a masterpiece but it doesn’t keep me from trying….

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-03-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have been going through a music crisis lately. After several years of studying, playing and performing country rag blues I quit. I don't feel like playing that material anymore. My friends and musicians have asked about what's going on and I have told them I'm not doing the fingerpicking thing anymore etc. They don't care. They just want me to play. Not that they ever listened to me anyway. So, what's that?

Find a new direction and inspiration, and follow that road. The old road will always be there. You might even return to it someday, refreshed.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:14 PM

Coming back to this thread is a neat experience.

Since the original post, I'm 10x a better player. I wouldn't have listened to my music either, lol.

These days I don't show anything except on IG and YouTube but I don't have any followers/subs so it's more for me to look back on. I went through what I have today and it was eye opening to how bad I sound but at the time it was a huge achievement for me.

Now when I play for choose songs the thought doesn't even pass by if someone will like it. Not only have I had a growth as a player, but also as a person, as I don't expect or even really want to be "the entertainer".
Old 09-28-2022, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPickn View Post
I'm upset so take this with a grain of salt.

I spent a long while learning and crafting a song. Time to memorize it, internalize the rhythm, clear and concise notes. Show it to people who actually know that I put a lot of time into this.

"Oh you should hear Charlie play crazy train...". What? "Your brother Billy had pizza for dinner tonight". They are changing the topic on purpose as if I'm not even aware.

I spent since Sept-friggin-tember on a song and I feel it shows all my lessons paying. Why do I torture myself even showing people? I was proud of it and now I question it.

Right here... You can see why I will never be in a band or gig musician. I can't take people being a jerk to my face. The one person who did it... I've overhead many times before stairway to heaven solo is what they think the apex of guitar. Guess what solo is on the menu? What a sick thrill to pull that out of the bag and ruin it for you. Hardest solo ever?
Pearls before swine!

What was this venue ?

In the '90s I decided that I should build up a pub circuit. I made some cash, but I packed it in, as I realised that I was little more than a human Muzak, regardless of how well/poorly I sang/played.

You need to find your audience - listening audiences, AND you need to "Sell" your songs. This is all about stagecraft.

Last Saturday I was hired to play a one hour spot in an open air event.

I spent the day before carefully prparing my 12-15 number set: 1. Start -uppy, and unusual, 2. a foottapper, 3. Something more interesting, etc.

I played in the cold to my wife, three various noisy children, and a dog, with a background chorus of the sound man chatting with the following act.

Problem? Wrong Audience!

The week before I went to a "folk" club that I hadn't been to for some years - I was welcomed like a star and they scrapped plans for the second half to give the next two hours over to me- they loved it!

Right audience!

Happens to us all..... except, perhaps the "real" stars!
Old 09-28-2022, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

The week before I went to a "folk" club that I hadn't been to for some years - I was welcomed like a star and they scrapped plans for the second half to give the next two hours over to me- they loved it!

Right audience!

I would have been the act scrapped from the second half to make way for you!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Pearls before swine!

What was this venue ?

In the '90s I decided that I should build up a pub circuit. I made some cash, but I packed it in, as I realised that I was little more than a human Muzak, regardless of how well/poorly I sang/played.

You need to find your audience - listening audiences, AND you need to "Sell" your songs. This is all about stagecraft.

Last Saturday I was hired to play a one hour spot in an open air event.

I spent the day before carefully prparing my 12-15 number set: 1. Start -uppy, and unusual, 2. a foottapper, 3. Something more interesting, etc.

I played in the cold to my wife, three various noisy children, and a dog, with a background chorus of the sound man chatting with the following act.

Problem? Wrong Audience!

Right audience!

The venue was my parents living room. I was the opening at for Jackie Gleason's The Honeymooners.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
Why should you care what anyone thinks of your art? What artist does such a thing? The kind that should instead be an accountant.
Consider poor Vincent Van Gogh. He made 900 pieces of art in a 10 year period but had to be supported by his younger brother because no one would buy any of his paintings. Now of course, he is considered one of the best post impressionist artists that ever lived. The thing is.. he didn't quit being an artist because nobody liked his art. Too bad it was only after his death that people began appreciate his genius.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:59 PM

^ Exactly. Most people don’t care about your novels, your paintings, or your songs. That’s part of the deal. Every now and then some artist gets very, very lucky, not only because they are especially good, but also because the timing was dead perfect.

The baseline is that basically no one cares very much. Supply outstrips demand by thousands of miles.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I'm my own type of musical snob, I guess. I play different material. But it's what keeps my interest going to play and perform. Otherwise, I'd rather do something else like play pool or something. I watched a cover band play the other night that has a following of sorts and they played and sounded well. I just couldn't see me putting in the time and effort into playing that material. So, I do what I do. And to be honest it is an obsession that keeps my juices flowing. And that is the bottom line. Do you play music for the music or to be a performer?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write