The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-01-2022, 06:08 AM

Default Simple flatpicking tune - what to do with it next?

I wanted to take some of the stuff I've learned about picking over the last year or so and see if I could apply it to something 'original'. Here's a tune that I came up with on Tuesday and recorded last night:

It shows some good and bad stuff - I like the sound of that guitar and some of the playing, but there's parts that need improvement (the sloppy parts!). Overall, I like it though!

Anyways, the question is: what would *you* do with it now?

I could leave it and move on. Practise more and re-record. Add some extra runs and embellishments. Add another part. Lots of options for me!
Old 04-01-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

https://www.flatpick.com/Developing_...los_p/5870.htm

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-01-2022, 02:53 PM

My own method, save up your flat picking licks. Write a bunch of huge anthemic open chord choruses. Eventually you come up with a flat picking lick that matches up nicely with one of your big ol' punk rock chorus's.

Then you write a some verses and a solo for it and call it a song.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
I wanted to take some of the stuff I've learned about picking over the last year or so and see if I could apply it to something 'original'. Here's a tune that I came up with on Tuesday and recorded last night:

It shows some good and bad stuff - I like the sound of that guitar and some of the playing, but there's parts that need improvement (the sloppy parts!). Overall, I like it though!

Anyways, the question is: what would *you* do with it now?

I could leave it and move on. Practise more and re-record. Add some extra runs and embellishments. Add another part. Lots of options for me!
Hi tdlwhite…
I think it needs a recognizable melody (hummable) from the start, and then the embellishment comes in subsequent passes (verses, choruses etc).

So far it sounds like an accompaniment track, and I'm not connecting a recognizable Section A, B, C…

What to do with these types of fragments? I've collected/recorded them and then later when an idea pops into my head about utilizing one I can easily go back and find it and work it into.

Song sections generally contain…in pretty much sensible order so people follow the story…
Introduction
Verse
Chorus (perhaps a different rhythm or meter)
Verse
Chorus
Bridge (different chords and rhythm)
Chorus, Chorus, Ending

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-02-2022, 11:06 AM

Well like ljguitar wrote there is no tune there it sounds like harmony, it's a backing track to something else.
What you need is a technique to follow and it would take a lot of words to start you off but maybe this book will help, I have never seen it but if it does what it says on the tin it should be on the shelf of everyone who wants to compose music but doesn't know where to start, so I sugest you get it then come back and tell us if it helped.
https://www.melbay.com/Products/2082...r-edition.aspx
Edit here...
Because it sounds like a backing track then you could just try using it as one, play along to your recording using notes from the scale of the key it is in, limit your choice of notes to one octave + 1 tone and just use your ears to create distinct phrases which harmonise with the progression used.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 04-02-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:19 PM

As others have said, there is no discernible melody there, your playing is fine but ultimately you are just noodling through chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write