The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Gibson J-45.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Martin D28, which I prefer to the D18 for vocals.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

..there is really no common or best choice for folk music guitars.....a huge variety of guitars have been used for strumming folk music since it’s beginnings...and many different folk styles exist too....I suggest identifying some of your favorite folk singers and what guitars they play ..and start there...
Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Not a big Taylor fan, but I have to admit, most of the people I have seen at folk type gigs lately have played Taylors.

In addition to the Gibsons and Martins, Guild was fairly popular. Mississippi John Hurt, Richie Havens, Paul Simon, John Denver and several others all played Guilds for a decent portion of their careers.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Not a big Taylor fan, but I have to admit, most of the people I have seen at folk type gigs lately have played Taylors.

In addition to the Gibsons and Martins, Guild was fairly popular. Mississippi John Hurt, Richie Havens, Paul Simon, John Denver and several others all played Guilds for a decent portion of their careers.
I’m not mad on the Taylors I have heard either - I just don’t think the sound has that much character, it’s very clinical to my ears if that makes sense. Beautifully built guitars though.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:19 PM

I'm generally a Martin guy-and a D-18 or D-28 would be a fine choice-but I'm going with J-45 based on the info provided.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

My opinion is that there is no one guitar that represents folk music, just as there is no specific tone associated with folk music. Find a guitar that you enjoy playing, sing songs that are meaningful, and you have folk music.

As for what's the most common, I would say there are probably as many Takamine and Epiphones as there are Martin's and Gibsons. Go to a folk festival and you'll see Alvarez, Washburn,Martins, Gibsons, Seagulls, Yamahas and many others.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 11-04-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Do you have a choice of music stores close to where you live. Is yes, play ever guitar in every store that you can.
Compare them to the guitars you own.
Then repeat....
Eventually you will figure out what works best for you.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-05-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 PM

For me if I was just playing Folk music it would be a

Gibson J45 or J50
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-05-2019, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

I guess it really depends on what we're talking about by "folk music."

When I answered the question I was thinking of old school, Woody Guthrie, dust bowl era folk. But Woody played lots of different guitars. Gibson SJ, L-00, a couple of different Martins.

I tend to think simple guitars and a woody tone when I think folk music (per my previous post).

But, then again, David Crosby is famous for playing D-45s.

So, which "folk" are we talking about.

At it's root, folk music is played with whatever's at hand.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:58 AM

I can go online, and I can see for myself what guitars Arlo or Woody or Pete were playing back in the day. Heck there's websites detailing EVERY guitar they were ever seen playing, and other websites disagreeing...

But what I CAN'T do is go online and see how a given guitar responds to my playing.

There's no substitute for trying a whole bunch of guitars in all different sizes. I was SHOCKED at how good I sounded on a 12-fret 00-18 . . . still kicking myself for not buying it . . .
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 AM

I'm not looking right now. But I asked because I was amazed at how much I like the AD70, and how neither was really better or worse, just different. I'm wondering what else I maybe missing.

Most people said Martin D18 or Gibson J45. I know John Denver had a 12 string Guild, and honestly I was thinking I'd get a D 140 or 40 if I ever get some extra cash. What do you guys think of Guild?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 AM

My D35 gets the job done.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
What do you guys think of Guild?
I think that you have your answer in the fact that, well into the 2nd page, nobody has suggested them.

I think that the general consensus is that they do fine for strumming, and so would likely be pretty good for folk. This has been my experience when I've tried them; good strummers, but give up a bit in single note clarity and attack. I wanted to like Guild because I learned on my dad's nylon string Guild Mark 5, but they never really did much for me.

They tend not to be the tone that most of us lust after, or the guitars that we aspire to own. But to be fair, I probably haven't played one in 8 or 10 years (other than my old man's).

That said, there are a fair few Guild fans around here. Play a few, see what you think. You're the one that matters. Besides, it doesn't get much more folk than Richie Havens singing "Freedom" and "Motherless Child" at Woodstock on his D 40.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I think that you have your answer in the fact that, well into the 2nd page, nobody has suggested them.

I think that the general consensus is that they do fine for strumming, and so would likely be pretty good for folk. This has been my experience when I've tried them; good strummers, but give up a bit in single note clarity and attack. I wanted to like Guild because I learned on my dad's nylon string Guild Mark 5, but they never really did much for me.

They tend not to be the tone that most of us lust after, or the guitars that we aspire to own. But to be fair, I probably haven't played one in 8 or 10 years (other than my old man's).

That said, there are a fair few Guild fans around here. Play a few, see what you think. You're the one that matters. Besides, it doesn't get much more folk than Richie Havens singing "Freedom" and "Motherless Child" at Woodstock on his D 40.
I love Guilds for "folk." John Hurt, Paul Simon. Good Lord yes.

If you can find an old F-30, play it. I hope it's a good one. You might love.

In my travels I always keep on the lookout for this model, but I've only come across a couple of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion