The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM

The model 1869 Custom Legend (Super Shallow Bowl) I owned and played for many years was a very fine instrument when plugged in. And, it looked incredibly cool!

Have to say too that Ovation made the best playing necks I've ever experienced, PERIOD.

If you were willing to spend about $3.00, there was a small black pad you could purchase that went on the guitar to keep it from slipping off your leg.

Finally, these were TOUGH guitars that could handle hard use. Jim Croce and Maury Muehleisen's Ovations both survived the plane crash that killed all onboard and destroyed the plane. The Martin D-35 onboard was destroyed as well.

Ovations are fine instruments. No surprise to me that they went over well. Credit too the outstanding legwork Bill Kaman did marketing the guitar, gaining endorsements of major stars, and establishing dealer networks all over the world. That ain't easy to do, my friends.

Last edited by 6L6; 06-04-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM

My wife has one.

I despise the thin tight radius neck that makes it very difficult to play open chords (great for barre chords) and the **** thing wants to slide off my lap every single time.

It's a narrow body, but the deep bowl ones won't stay put either.

Unamplified the sound is thin and reedy, much like a lower end Taylor.

Great stage guitars if you play standing up and can handle the tiny neck though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Mike,
They sounded good plugged in. I struggled to get a decent live sound with my Martin in the 70s. Ovations were plug and play.
+1. And for the money, they played well. Still have my Artist, 1621-1....

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 AM

When they came out electric guitars were the rage, their necks were a perfect transition for an electric player. I still think they are one of the most playable necks but they are 1 11/16. Made a Martin at the time feel like a clunker. And yes the gave that electric player a good acoustic sound on stage. Most people make up their minds on Ovation through their cheaper Korean versions, most never played a good USA model.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-04-2014, 05:43 AM

I've owned a list of good guitars: a Taylor 714-ce, an 810E, a Martin D-42, and a Collng DS-42 are just a few of the very fine woodboxes that I have decided not to keep.

Look at my signature. Guess which guitars I think are better.

I'll never understand why, of EVERY SINGLE BRAND, Ovations infuriate some guitar snobs so completely that they have take time out of their very special lives to post it for the world to see. It's puerile. I have little respect for such elitism. Personal preference can be stated with respect and courtesy, but that is consistetly beyond some people.

You really have nothing better to do than denigrate the musical preferences of literally tens of thousands of individuals all over the world for the last 40+ years?

Charley Kaman had some very original thoughts and designs. Countless people have benefitted in profound and very real ways from them. Do any of you have something to offer other than pettiness and snide little smiley emoticons?

Here's an idea that some of you were apparently never taught:

Show some respect!

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 AM

Because in 1978 when I was buying my 3rd guitar these were the coolest looking things out there, and they were sweet to play amplified.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I've owned a list of good guitars: a Taylor 714-ce, an 810E, a Martin D-42, and a Collng DS-42 are just a few of the very fine woodboxes that I have decided not to keep.

Look at my signature. Guess which guitars I think are better.

I'll never understand why, of EVERY SINGLE BRAND, Ovations infuriate some guitar snobs so completely that they have take time out of their very special lives to post it for the world to see. It's puerile. I have little respect for such elitism. Personal preference can be stated with respect and courtesy, but that is consistetly beyond some people.

You really have nothing better to do than denigrate the musical preferences of literally tens of thousands of individuals all over the world for the last 40+ years?

Charley Kaman had some very original thoughts and designs. Countless people have benefitted in profound and very real ways from them. Do any of you have something to offer other than pettiness and snide little smiley emoticons?

Here's an idea that some of you were apparently never taught:

Show some respect!
Who's is furious...or disrespectful...or discourteous...or petty...or snide?

The OP called the back "silly". I've reread every post. And I'm not sure I understand your feelings about the thread.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 AM

People do complain about the back being slick.
Mine is slicker than snot on a doorknob. But it doesn't matter, I usually play it standing up.
Frankly, a couple things are true on that front.
A 2-inch square of grip tape will fix that right up.
Charlie Kaman was working with early Carbon fiber technology long before anyone else. I'm reasonably sure that he could have chosen a more traditional shape. He chose to go with a bowl for its potential to project well.

Ovations are quirky guitars. That is a given
They just happen to be very good quirky guitars in the hands of those that know how to make them deliver.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Guitars are subjective.

Approval from any player is not requisite for any other player.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM

They really filled a niche when they first came out, and really did a lot to advance the use of non-wood materials in acoustic guitar construction. I have never particularly appreciated their aesthetic or tone, but I appreciated the role they played in the history of acoustic guitar amplification (which was significant, bordering on revolutionary).

I was surprised that they lasted as long as they did with all the fierce competition from every angle. From aftermarket pickups systems to carbon fiber instruments to thinline acoustic/electrics, entire ranges and categories of products were invented since Ovation's inception that cut into their market share.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Never could hold one without it falling off my lap.

and way too many picks...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I think this whole post is a response not just to this thread, but all of the Ovation bashing that goes on here. And I understand that. I also have little time for guitar snobs or snobs of any sort for that matter, and I'm thankful that most of the people here are not like that.

I have owned a couple of Ovations, had no trouble with them sliding off my lap- but just didn't bond with them because of the unplugged sound. However, not long ago my buddy and I performed- he had his Ovation and I had my Taylor. Afterwords 4 or 5 people came up and asked him about his guitar, and complimented him on his sound. No one asked about the Taylor.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec214_rolyaT View Post
Al Di Miola playing an Ovation 1769-ADII Al Di Meola through a Roland AC90 Acoustic Chorus Amplifier.

http://youtu.be/Qe8RCMdXB4o
that's not actually al di miola. it would appear to be kiefer günther.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Who's is furious...or disrespectful...or discourteous...or petty...or snide?

The OP called the back "silly". I've reread every post. And I'm not sure I understand your feelings about the thread.
I think the thing is that OP is ostensibly asking a question: what was the appeal of Ovations? But it's pretty darned clear he isn't genuinely interested in a constructive and informative answer; unless I'm cruelly misjudging him - and I do not think I am - his intention is to broadcast his contempt for Ovations and kickstart a hatefest among similarly minded people.

That's why the thread sucks.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 AM

I traded an electric guitar and amp ( can't remember their brands) for a six string Ovation back in 1982. I was told it once belonged to a singer songwriter from Seymour, Indiana whom the owner had gone to high school with. I still play it, though it's got some wear. Had a twelve string acoustic electric for a while too, til an old girlfriend trashed it when we split. Love those guitars. Skinny neck helps for beginners too.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion