The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Les Paul Pickups

Looking at a Gibson Traditional Pro (new ones with coil taps)

Can someone tell me about the Gibson '57 classics and the Burstbucker 3 pickups? If you can reference the 490's it would be great!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 PM

I replaced the stock pup's in my Custom Shop Les Paul with 57 Classics and like them a lot. They sound fantastic played through an OCD pedal into a Mesa Boogie amp. I believe 57 Classics are stock in Les Paul Traditionals.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 AM

Yeah but can you describe the sound?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Yeah but can you describe the sound?
I'll try

The bridge pup is bright. In fact, bright enough to require a good bit of adjustment to the tone knob on my OD pedals. For all my other LP's (various other PUP combinations) I generally keep the tone knob at the noon position. With the 57 Classic I need to tone it down a good bit. If you're you're playing it through a shimmery amp like a Blues Junior it's even brighter. PUP's in this particular Les Paul sound brighter that normal so take that into consideration as well.

The 57 Classic in the neck position is opposite...very warm. Some might describe it as muddy. Gibson makes a higer output 57 Classic for the bridge but I decided to put standard Classics in both neck and bridge. I really like the sound but you have to like those tones. Les Paul Traditionals come stock with 57 Classics. Find one in a store near you to give them a listen.

Another PUP combo to consider is the Seymour Duncan 59 (neck) and Seymour Duncan Custom V (bridge). This is a very nice pair as the 59 gives pleasing, balanced, warm tones without sounding muddy. It's a great all purpose PUP. The Custom V provides the same balance, warm tones but with a little higher output without sounding shrill when you crank up the gain. They are both very good classic rock PUPs and sound great clean.

I also have a Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck)/JB (bridge) combo. I use this guitar when I want to rock a little harder with a slight bluesy edge on the cleans.

Of all the PUP combo's I've had in Les Paul's I like the 59/Custom V the most. I'm not selling the 57 Classics short but you gotta like those tones.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by vbf; 12-31-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'd suggest you pose this very same question over on the Les Paul forum. The guys over there have lots of combined experience in this very subject.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbf View Post
I'll try
<<SNIP>>
I hope this helps.
Thanks that helped a lot to begin with, I'm out of the country right now and when I get back I will go to a GC to try them out. I am wondering if splitting the coils in the Traditional Pro compromises the integrity of the PUPS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'd suggest you pose this very same question over on the Les Paul forum. The guys over there have lots of combined experience in this very subject.

Bob
I will try... I asked a question there once and got ignored... lol
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Well... I went to GC and tried it, of course they tried to sell it in many ways. Then I went to my neighbors who specialize in acoustic guitars and carry Gibsons... I was surprised to know that the difference between the 57 and the 490s was minimal. Also learned that the BB3 are a bit hotter, but not worth the trade.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars