The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Les Pauls: Gibson or Epi?

I'm simply curious about the differences in terms of quality, or electronics, or whatever between an Epiphone signature "Les Paul," and it's big brother, Gibson Les Pauls. Is there a quantum difference worth paying the extra $$$ for-something besides resale that distinguishes the Gibson variety? (Sorry if this is a complex/or stupid question-but having been into acoustics all my life, I'm just wondering...)

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 AM

I *think* there is less of a distinction when you get to the higher end Epi models vs the gibsons. On the lower end, you can tell... the tuners and all the hardware are usually crap for one thing, switches and pots will usually be noisy, and loose - I have repaired a few for some local kids where the pot came loose and twisted the wires right off in the cavity.

That said, on the higher end Epi's, I have played a few in guitar stores that I felt were better made than some of the Gibsons sitting nearby.

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro

Last edited by ayavner; 04-28-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM

This has been debated ad nauseum on many guitar forums.

In the end, I think it just comes down to personal preference.

06 Taylor 410-CE
98 Fender Am Std tele
07 Ibanez AS-73
08 Fender Roadhouse strat
Fender DRRI
a few other assorted guitars and amps
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 AM

I think that if it plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, is made good, then it is good.

So go with what you feel, just keep in mind that there are HUGE differences between Gibson and Epiphone

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM

First of all, toss out the under $400 epis.

Here's my story....

All my life I wanted a Les Paul. Finally, the wife said go for it, let's go shopping. Yahoo!

With wife in tow, we headed to Sam Ash and GC in Lombard IL. Tried every Gibson LP on the walls. Not a single LP felt or sounded "right". I was disappointed to say the least.

Awhile later, while the wife was visiting family in Brazil I was at a local shop shooting the BS with the manager and mentioned my LP experience. He said he as been playing LPs all of his life, but recently had switched to Epis. He then took one of the wall, hooked it up and said try it.

It was love at first sight. Looked great, sounded great, felt right. It was the Epi LP Deluxe, even has Gibson on the truss rod cover. It was priced at $xxx, a beautiful cherry sunburst. He said, if you want this color, I will sell it to you for $xxx (local kids don't buy sunburst?), basically his cost. Done deal.

Just yesterday I was wailing on it for all I was worth and though I consider myself a Fender guy, this is the absolute best electric guitar I have played.

So, I am not sure what the deal was with the Gib LPs, I realize they are fantastic, but for me, the Epi still is my favorite. I still have GAS for a burst standard LP, but that will never happen...

Jack

Last edited by Forensicguy; 04-30-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Price discussions not allowed, per forum rules
Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Epis or Gibbys... Nissan or Infinity... Toyota or Lexus... Honda or Acura...

I debated this question for 3 YEARS!!! I bought an Epi LP100 and returned it. I have to agree that the hardware is FAR from high quality at ALL.

I played some Epis that were higher end but I just could not get past the pickups. Only the Gibson Classics and Alnico 490 498 sound like the real thing (for me).

Now, I have heard really good things about Epis as well but I have never found one that matches what I want. I guess I am looking for the Gibson sound and look. I was lucky to get a Studio that looks like a Standard for a very fair price.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

My experience has been that the better made Epi's are pretty OK, and a good bargain compared to a Gibson. You should shop around a lot, as the quality varies quite a bit. As mentioned, the hardware tends to be pretty cheesy- but it can all be replaced with top-quality aftermarket stuff, much of which is better than the Gibson standard hardware.
That being said- I'm a Gibson guy. I love my Les Paul, and for me it was worth the price to get a little nicer guitar. I tend to keep my instruments, but it's worth considering that Gibsons tend to keep their value pretty well while Epiphone's don't. I see nice Epiphone LP's on Craigslist for $xxx all the time.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

Last edited by Forensicguy; 04-30-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Price discussions not allowed per forum rules.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM

I prefer Heritage. Not as expensive as a Gibson but, imho, better quality.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM

If you're talking new ones- I think Epi's have it all over Gibby's (for fit & finish). Harware is a completely other issue, but as mentioned earlier- get an Epi & upgrade the 'ware. Still will be less $'s (and nicer) than a Gibby IMO.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Soundwise, Epis get very, very close to the sound of a Gibson Les Paul. There are lots of clips on YouTube demonstrating this very thing. Build quality and feel are other considerations, and that's where the price difference comes in. Plus, over time a Gibson would retain its value much better than the Epi, but if you never sell it's not an issue.

Try to find the Epi Elite series. These Les Pauls really are superior in many ways to Gibsons. Also check out the Edwards clones or any made-in-Japan clones. These are really high quality instruments that are way better than any Epi and many off the shelf Gibsons as well. If you have to stay with the Epi line, check out the Ultra models. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 PM

I've had high and low end Epi LP's and have sold them all in favor of Gibson's, of which I own three. Resale for Epi's is weak while Gibson's tend to hold their value better. I'll take a Gibson over an Epi every day of the week.

Last edited by vbf; 04-29-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50 View Post
If you're talking new ones- I think Epi's have it all over Gibby's (for fit & finish). Harware is a completely other issue, but as mentioned earlier- get an Epi & upgrade the 'ware. Still will be less $'s (and nicer) than a Gibby IMO.
On the money... I've owned both, the cheap wiring and hardware makes them feel crappy... But you put a Tone Pros Bridge/Tail, upgrade the Pups and get some real machines on the head and you got a kick *** LP saving serious $$$.
'06 Martin OMC-15E
1999 Taylor 514-CE-AB 25th Anni
1989 Guild D-40
1987 Guild JF30-12 BLACK
2007 Eastman T184MX Classic
2009 Schecter Tempest Blackjack
1995 AmFender Tele - 60th Ann RW Neck SD pups
1991 Gibson 40th Anniversary Les Paul
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM

I've played absolutely SMOKING $600 Epi LPs, and absolute CRAP $4000 Les Pauls.

every guitar is different - play them all.

GAD

GAD's Blog Why not check it out!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD View Post

every guitar is different - play them all.

GAD
Absolutely....what you like is what you like...I love my '01 Gibson--fit and finish is incredible, and some of the nicest figured maple I've seen in a long time...sound is classic LP....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars