The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Taylor 12-fret vs Martin OM28?

Hi all,

I've never played a 12-fret acoustic before and I was considering a Taylor (700-800 series non-cutaway). I am pretty big on moderate strumming with some finger-picking as well. I use a capo (3rd, 5th, 7th) on maybe 40% of my songs so wondered if I should even consider a 12-fret with the more limited access? I have a 17' standard OM28 which is my only acoustic, but I would have to sell it as I can only keep one.

Is the OM28 going to most likely be better in every area?

Opinions/advice appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I thought I should respond as I am very much a "12 fret freak".

But why, I hear you ask! (I didn't really - I'm crazy but not that crazy).

I was happy playing 14 fretters for many years until I had developed my playing style with lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs and such got a Martin J-40 which had a 1 & 11/16" nut width, and a very shallow neck profile and I foud that I was fluffing notes on the narrowly placed strings.

Opening for the late great Isaac Guillory changed my whole direction as he kindly listened to my whingeing and then gave me his Martin D35-S to play.

This model was introduced in 1966 (i.e. the great folk scare) until 1993, and was a kind of replica of the pre 1934 original dreadnought with a 12 fret neck and a 1 & 7/8" nut width (can't remember the string spacing, but appropriate for the geometry). They only made 1831 of them.

It immediately solved my issues.

So, 12 fret not for the lesser frets to body but the wider fretboard giving better string spacing up and down.

see:
Old 11-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe View Post
I use a capo (3rd, 5th, 7th) on maybe 40% of my songs so wondered if I should even consider a 12-fret with the more limited access?
Some of this depends on what chord shapes you use. When playing without a capo, if you're using 12-14 frets on a song, a 12 fret will be limiting if you want to use a capo.

On the other hand, if you, say, capo on the 5th and play mainly open chords or use no more than a 5 fret range, then it's a more reasonable choice.

Personally, I often capo on the 5th on my 12 fret because I like the tone, but tend to stick with open chords when I do.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:16 AM

Theres no doubt 12 fretters can be very sweet guitars and I have found them to have certain fullness and warmth to the tone which I Iike and suit my playing style (fingertyle, carter style picking) I would certainly look to try one and see how you find them, as always tonally there willl be lots of variation between builders.

In terms of real estate issues up the neck I can capo on the 7th on my martin and still play relatively comfortably but anything beyond that would be a bit of a challenge without a cutaway. So really depends on how often you find yourself that far up the neck.

Its also worth noting you have a very fine guitar in an OM28 that is well suited to fingerstyle and moderate strumming IMO, I cant comment whether the taylor would be better or worse but the main difference tonally between the two would be down to the makers rather than 12 vs 14 fret.

Personally I would keep the OM28.

I hope Ive helped in some way, good luck.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

Last edited by Fresh1985; 11-05-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I use a capo (3rd, 5th, 7th) on maybe 40% of my songs so wondered if I should even consider a 12-fret with the more limited access?
My 322 12 fret has a cutaway so I'm good with playing capo. It's usually on the 2nd fret and seldom over the 5th.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much about 12 frets is that given it's extra bass and midrange tone, with a capo on 7th your tone won't thin out as much as it would on a 14 fret.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret..

To my ear the 12 fret Taylor is one of their best guitars...acoustically....BUT...to my ear the es system just doesn't work for me. I'd hate to give up a Martin OM-28 for one.....just my 2 cents...
Old 11-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight and advice/exp. I have been mulling it over and every time I pick up my OM28 I'm so wowed I think it is probably still the finest acoustic I have ever owned. I have a k&k mini installed as well which I prefer over any ES system.

I guess I am quelling my 12-fret gas for now until I have more financial freedom to maybe add one to my stable. I'm 98% sure giving up my OM would have me regretting it. I still am super curious to how the 12-fret feels to play though, a shame there are none local to even try.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight and advice/exp. I have been mulling it over and every time I pick up my OM28 I'm so wowed I think it is probably still the finest acoustic I have ever owned. I have a k&k mini installed as well which I prefer over any ES system.

I guess I am quelling my 12-fret gas for now until I have more financial freedom to maybe add one to my stable. I'm 98% sure giving up my OM would have me regretting it. I still am super curious to how the 12-fret feels to play though, a shame there are none local to even try.
In think you made the right choice.

By the way, a martin OM28 is one of my dream guitars. A 12fretter can be your next guitar.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 11-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think you made the right choice. OM28 is sweet. That said, my Taylor 612 12-fret is sweet too. The 600 series with Maple has a really interesting bright sound with a solid low E tone- Pretty amazing how much tone come from these little guitars, but it’s still not really a replacement for a Rosewood/ Spruce Martin. I would not replace it with a rosewood Taylor- the Martin does more with that wood combo imo. Now when you are ready to add to your stable, maybe go after a cedar mahogany Taylor 512ce12-fret, or maybe the 612...
I would get the cut out, but wouldn’t get the rosewood taylor with a Martin sitting around making it feel bassless.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I love my OM-28. My skills are limited, but it responds well to strumming & fingerstyle. I was looking for a guitar to be my "only one" for awhile, and I think I found it in the OM-28. It has dampened the GAS a great deal.

That said...I was pretty impressed by a 12-fret Taylor I played recently. It wasn't my style, but I can tell why a lot of people are jazzed by them.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I have the best of both worlds in a custom Martin OM-28 12 fret and it's my favorite among all of my acoustics. Because of a light build, full scale and adi top it's quite loud and wonderful to play. I forget how loud it is until I start to sing and then have to work pretty hard to match the volume. This model might be a consideration for you as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I have the best of both worlds in a custom Martin OM-28 12 fret and it's my favorite among all of my acoustics. Because of a light build, full scale and adi top it's quite loud and wonderful to play. I forget how loud it is until I start to sing and then have to work pretty hard to match the volume. This model might be a consideration for you as well.
Thanks again all, and thank you for this as well. Definitely makes me curious to check out specifically. The OM28 is the closest I think I've found to a swiss-army acoustic. The 12-frets are extremely well liked and I know that one day I will most likely have one. Sometimes I just need to clear the gas out of my head because I can make bad decisions when it takes hold
Old 11-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

MoJo
what you've said, I would definitely hang on to your OM28, excellent guitar btw. I would save up and get an alternate tone from a taylor and I can recommend highly a 522ce 12 fret. these are all mahogany and sound and play wonderful. you can find a ton of reviews/video on youtube of this model.

a cheaper, but no less tuneful 12 fret taylor is the 322, these will usually have mahogany tops and blackwood back/sides, satin finish(522 is all gloss and all mahogany). there is a tone difference between the 522 and 322, but both have a lot of soul.

I have the current ES2 on mine and it sounds excellent.

I'd highly recommend getting a cutaway with either.

you would have a world of coverage with the Martin and one of these 12 fret taylors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQqhzJe4n0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWp89R9Nh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYL9qvLeCA
Old 11-06-2019, 08:09 PM

I’ve owned two Taylor and one Breedlove 12 fret guitars. All very nice.
I switched to the new OM 28. I love this guitar. It fingerpicks and strums equally well.
I did switch to Elixer strings and they seemed to help.
Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion