The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Default Help on a used Stratocaster

I'm going to look at a used 2002 American Deluxe Stratocaster with ash body and I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed to get.

What all do I need to look for on the guitar to make sure it's the model that is claimed? Is there a site that would have the actual specs for the 2002 models? Any particular things I need to look over on this guitar before taking the plunge.

I should be able to get it for $750 and they go for $1,650 new. The seller rates the condition of the guitar to be 8/9 out of 10. Thanks for any help you folks can offer. Obviously this is my first strat purchase.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Badfrog,

I sold the same guitar a year ago. This is a good price for you. I would try the fender forums for detailed info. They are as OCD as we are about their brand.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
Badfrog,

I sold the same guitar a year ago. This is a good price for you. I would try the fender forums for detailed info. They are as OCD as we are about their brand.
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this one. Guy said he would do $700 on it. I did manage to go to Fender's site and confirm with the serial number chart and that it is indeed an American Strat Deluxe (picture of the guitar showed the SN).
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM

badfrog, I've seen my share of people, either knowingly or not, trying to pass a made in mex strat on as the real deal. Google up Fender serial numbers to acquaint yourself with them. Ask the seller if any of the electronics have been messed with, replaced, etc. Also, look for any obvious signs of damage. I may be a little paranoid but with reason.....I've come close to getting burned. I've also seen a lot of people get hosed.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
Badfrog,

I would try the fender forums for detailed info. They are as OCD as we are about their brand.
Good idea about going over to the Fender Forum for info. http://www.fenderforum.com/ Besides being OCD, many Fender fans are also inveterate tinkerers, and what started out as a certain model with matching serial number can end up as a Partscaster.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, the guitar had more wear and useage than indicated. At any rate I came home and really started pounding the web looking for the best deal possible on a new American Deluxe Stratocaster. I ended up getting a pretty good price on what is essentially a discontinued Amer Deluxe Strat with Ash body in Tobacco sunburst and maple fretboard. I am jacked.

I knew this guitar would be with me for a long long time and I wanted the wear on it to be created by my hands and my play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars