The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamler View Post
On the money... I've owned both, the cheap wiring and hardware makes them feel crappy... But you put a Tone Pros Bridge/Tail, upgrade the Pups and get some real machines on the head and you got a kick *** LP saving serious $$$.
Not sure about the huge savings if you compare to a Studio...

Here's a couple of links with someone comparing 4 Les Pauls, 2 Epi's and 2 Gibby's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtijzMrBBM
and Sweet Child Of Mine's solo... (try to guess before the end bc he spoils the surprise at the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSBOz2rwJs

Anyhow... much of the ESTHETICS of the guitar itself plays an unknown variable on the sound and inspiration on the user! You would not believe how this affects you. To me, and some may call me superficial, I like playing a guitar that looks like the legendary ones we all see everyone play... if you can afford it get it, if not you will be just as pleased tweaking your mindset and loving what you have.... after all all this is subjective right?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM

-I also have an Epi Les Paul. It's a Classic Quilt Top. Sure, with the stock electronics it was just Ok sounding. But I got a set of matched CTS pots and Orange Drop caps for Christmas and I found a set of DiMarzio Virtual PAFs on eBay. While the output of the p'ups took a step or two backward, the tone took a giant leap forward. One thing is that Epi thinks everyone wants high output p'ups in their guitars. I already have that, so I wanted something with more vintage tones in it. I have that now.

-I also have an older Samick SSM-1 Strat copy that will be the one guitar I keep above all others. I bought it when Samick first came out on the scene in the mid '90s with ads about winning a blues players autographed SSM-1. The neck on this guitar is the best one I've ever had my hands on. My Brother-in-law was a Carvin fanatic for a few years. The Samick was almost identical to the neck on his SC90 and AE185. This one is actually my metal guitar since I put in a Bill Lawrence L-500XL in the bridge about 10 years ago. And the stock single coil p'ups in it were actually pretty sweet. Names on a headstock don't mean much to me.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited by AnthemBassMan; 04-29-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Not sure about the huge savings if you compare to a Studio...

Here's a couple of links with someone comparing 4 Les Pauls, 2 Epi's and 2 Gibby's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtijzMrBBM
and Sweet Child Of Mine's solo... (try to guess before the end bc he spoils the surprise at the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSBOz2rwJs

Anyhow... much of the ESTHETICS of the guitar itself plays an unknown variable on the sound and inspiration on the user! You would not believe how this affects you. To me, and some may call me superficial, I like playing a guitar that looks like the legendary ones we all see everyone play... if you can afford it get it, if not you will be just as pleased tweaking your mindset and loving what you have.... after all all this is subjective right?
Geez--I know diddly-squat about these, and electrics in general, but after listening to the second link first (I picked the Gibson as second by sheer guess), I thought I might like to try the first link with the 4 samples--and got it correct, this time by intent. Very odd, as I have a HORRID time trying to pick out various wood-combos and makers on acoustic guitar "tests" members have posted over the years. Likely beginner's luck--I just thought the Gibson versions had a bit more edge, or "bite" (best way I can describe it)-a bit clearer. But they both sound pretty good to me!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan View Post
-I also have an Epi Les Paul. It's a Classic Quilt Top. [/IMG]
L8R,
Matt
Nice quilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
Geez--I know diddly-squat about these, and electrics in general, but after listening to the second link first (I picked the Gibson as second by sheer guess), I thought I might like to try the first link with the 4 samples--and got it correct, this time by intent. Very odd, as I have a HORRID time trying to pick out various wood-combos and makers on acoustic guitar "tests" members have posted over the years. Likely beginner's luck--I just thought the Gibson versions had a bit more edge, or "bite" (best way I can describe it)-a bit clearer. But they both sound pretty good to me!
Exactly... that's the very SLIGHT difference between them ... is it slight?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Exactly... that's the very SLIGHT difference between them ... is it slight?
Re: the "bite" or clarity--I would say if I can notice it with virtually no background with electrics, and after listening to ONE "A/B" then, it probably is considered significant by true LP aficionados. To ME, it is slight--I would think tinkering with EQ, or string formulations (hey-that's what happens in acoustic-ville, as y'all know ), might work. Also, I noticed a lot of comments on those test-threads talking about how they modified/replaced this or that (even some here too).

So, yes, to ME it was slight...enough to make me shy away from the Epi, were I buying? Likely, no. However, I know guitar players and obsession with everything "just so," and suspect it might be a deal breaker. I would also think like anything else, PLAY before you PAY. Audition them side-by-side and see what you think. If YOU like it, it's perfect then! (now I'll slink back over to the acoustic side... ).

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 AM

One of my all time favorite guitars was an epiphone Elite model sold around 1996-1997.

Not to be confused with the Elite line that followed later.

These were black with the Custom inlays and they were semi hollow bodies with F-holes.

I traded it for an acoustic back then but regretted it many times.

If I find another one in good shape I will probably buy it.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Think you would be better off debating the merits of an Edwards or Agile Lester clone when compared to the real deal. Best inexpensive LP style geetars that I have run across with the exception of an older Tokai.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM

-I was reading down through the comments on the video. The guy posting the video said that it was two different players. One could have had the tone rolled back a bit more, older strings, etc.... Not exactly sure why he didn't have the same person play both guitars for a better comparison. Maybe sometime down the road, someone will actually post a proper comparison. Have both guitars set up with the same strings, same player, same tone settings on guitar and amp. But all in all, both guitars sounded pretty good to me.

-And thanks,
Alexrkstr. She's a looker, isn't she. I took that pic to show someone how the reverse wrapped bridge looks.

L8R,
Matt
Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Here's some Les Paul Studios on sale ...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=517030

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars