The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM

I think yo are reading more into this than you might. My guitars were all built between 1932 and 1969. Yeah, there are those who embrace what another poster called "instant mojo." But more than a few of us own guitars that have been played hard and put away wet. With those I have had for a long time every ding and dried tabasco sauce stain is now a memory. And those of us of a certain age bought guitars which were at the time just considered "used" so we did things to them which nobody in their right mind would do today as they magically transformed into "vintage." There was a time when Martin over sprayed every guitar they got in for repair so it looked nice and shiny when it was returned while Gibson used whatever parts they were slapping on their current stock to replace those on an old instrument. There is just a different mindset today.

With me I never sweat the aesthetics even on some old el cheapo where value is not an issue. Only go as far as to do what is needed to keep an instrument in perfect playing condition
Old 11-13-2019, 08:55 AM

So to review:

I don't like the way some people like their guitars to look. I don't like my guitars to look like that. Raar
Old 11-13-2019, 10:32 AM

I guess I would be considered “obsessive”......polishing my individual fret wires

Believe it or not, my brother was worst than I am. He has sold, at a great loss,
Gibson J45 koa
Santa Cruz H13
Martin Eric Clapton
Hummingbird LTd
Collings mahogany

just because they got a light scratch or ding on them.

he has gotten a little better ......since he learned perfection can be costly and stressful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84FD49FC-17B9-4B27-8D60-BB926DD30DE2.jpg (29.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg E34A8565-6A5C-4B66-BE41-84DC63AB6388.jpg (40.3 KB, 46 views)
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 11-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I have over 400 gigs under my belt in the last 3 years. I am very careful with my guitars and can't remember actually banging one of them into anything or letting one fall. But dang they all show road wear. Nothing major, but you can tell they've worked really hard over the last few years.

Part of this, I think, is that we tend to play our guitars a bit more enthusiastically when we're performing for an audience than when we're practicing at home. I can see a big difference between the guitars that I've gigged and the guitars that only get played at home. The difference in wear and tear comes from the Adrenalin that goes into live performances.

Honestly, I would be embarassed to purchase a relicked guitar. The loss of authenticity would deprive my music of something important.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Years ago, I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Fender factory in Corona, CA. The tour included the Custom Shop

We'd always joked about how the "Relic" guitars, at least in part, were probably made that way by some acne-ridden kid swinging a belt with a bunch of buckles on it, so we were excited to learn how they do that type of aging.

It was an acne-ridden kid swinging a belt with a bunch of buckles on it...
That isn't the Fender Custom Shop I'm familiar with. Are you sure you went to the right place? I have owned a few Custom Shop Fenders ('51 Nocaster and '64 Strat, both heavy relics), and they were exceptional instruments with necks and fret jobs to die for. I suggest John Cruz and Yuriy Shishkov are more than a few years past the acne stage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGXH4Fd0EE

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
That isn't the Fender Custom Shop I'm familiar with. Are you sure you went to the right place? I have owned a few Custom Shop Fenders ('51 Nocaster and '64 Strat, both heavy relics), and they were exceptional instruments with necks and fret jobs to die for.

Here's a more detailed discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1hwIWORBE

I have to say though that I went to Corona a few times and saw the custom shop in action. Not a single belt buckle (other than those in use holding up pants) was visible.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Don’t slam me for saying this, but it pains me when people buy really nice, new guitars and due to poor playing techniques, beat them to pieces! I have a friend who “whole lower arm” swings while playing rhythm and drags his fingernails back and forth across the top while doing so. He’s already wearing a hole through the top of his guitar which is a 2017 model and one he’s only owned about a year. It’s such a nice guitar and is looking bad already.
Yeah, like Tommy Emanuel! LOL He is quite something to see perform, but never let him play your nice martin.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM

My Yairi has an excessive amount of wear on it, and I'm responsible for every scratch, scrape dent and crack, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the looks I get when I pull it out of the case, but I love the looks I get even m,ore when I strum it...
Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
That isn't the Fender Custom Shop I'm familiar with. Are you sure you went to the right place? I have owned a few Custom Shop Fenders ('51 Nocaster and '64 Strat, both heavy relics), and they were exceptional instruments with necks and fret jobs to die for. I suggest John Cruz and Yuriy Shishkov are more than a few years past the acne stage...

Yes, I am absolutely certain it was the right place...
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Here's a more detailed discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1hwIWORBE

I have to say though that I went to Corona a few times and saw the custom shop in action. Not a single belt buckle (other than those in use holding up pants) was visible.
Well, hey, what can I tell ya'?

It was most definitely a strap with buckles on it.

This is going back about 15 years ago. Not sure if that makes any difference, but I know what I saw...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion