The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 07-24-2020, 03:41 PM
jdinaz jdinaz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,241
Default

Thread drift is pretty common here and usually very interesting....but how did we get from Sables to Tupperware? That has to be a new low. LOL
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-24-2020, 06:47 PM
eatswodo's Avatar
eatswodo eatswodo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Thread drift is pretty common here and usually very interesting....but how did we get from Sables to Tupperware? That has to be a new low. LOL
Imagine being able to burp the top of your guitar to get rid of wolf notes
__________________
David Eastwood
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
2019 Emerald X20-7
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-24-2020, 07:45 PM
tbeltrans tbeltrans is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Thread drift is pretty common here and usually very interesting....but how did we get from Sables to Tupperware? That has to be a new low. LOL
Read from post #72 where Tupperware was introduced to the thread.

As for understanding the flow, just think of a couple of guys with common interest in guitar sitting around and "shooting the bull", joking around and discussing various aspects of guitars. All of that gets lost in text only communication.

Tony
__________________
Dodge the little COVIDs...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 PM
tbeltrans tbeltrans is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Imagine being able to burp the top of your guitar to get rid of wolf notes
Now that is the next turn in the discussion. To accomplish your suggestion, aim for the sound hole. There should be an amplifying effect and if you can hit just the right frequency, then the wolf tone is achieved.

Tony
__________________
Dodge the little COVIDs...
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,194
Default

I do prefer the new honeycomb look. I think it gives it some visual interest. I think they sound fantastic myself, at least from the videos Iíve watched. Iíve never seen one in person. To each their own.

As much as I like them, Iíve really come to love my RainSong over time. I donít think I could part with it now, and I donít see myself having 2 carbon fiber guitars at this point. There are too many wood options I would prefer. My interest in carbon is more on the utilitarian side of things, whereas my passion sits more in the wood world.
__________________
2020 Yamaha LL56 Custom
2020 RainSong CO-WS1000N2
2020 PRS McCarty 594 Artist Pack (enroute)
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-25-2020, 10:24 AM
mikealpine's Avatar
mikealpine mikealpine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I do prefer the new honeycomb look. I think it gives it some visual interest. I think they sound fantastic myself, at least from the videos Iíve watched. Iíve never seen one in person. To each their own.

As much as I like them, Iíve really come to love my RainSong over time. I donít think I could part with it now, and I donít see myself having 2 carbon fiber guitars at this point. There are too many wood options I would prefer. My interest in carbon is more on the utilitarian side of things, whereas my passion sits more in the wood world.
My passion is also with wood guitars, but I find I am just not wired to keep on top of the care they require. I do it, but it isn't something I want to do any more. I love my H-OM, and it is by far the most played guitar I own. I've got a Black Ice WS, but that is very similar, so I am looking to replace it with something different, hence the McPherson or Emerald consideration. I am still visually captivated by the beauty of a well-crafted wood guitar. Other than the CF area, I love to look through the Custom section.
__________________
---------------------------------------

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My passion is also with wood guitars, but I find I am just not wired to keep on top of the care they require. I do it, but it isn't something I want to do any more. I love my H-OM, and it is by far the most played guitar I own. I've got a Black Ice WS, but that is very similar, so I am looking to replace it with something different, hence the McPherson or Emerald consideration. I am still visually captivated by the beauty of a well-crafted wood guitar. Other than the CF area, I love to look through the Custom section.
I think a lot of us understand. I used to be a "Gibson guy"... kinda morphed into a "wood guitar guy"... focused more on Taylor and became a "Taylor guy"... then got my first carbon fiber guitar and discovered I am... a guitar guy. Although for full disclosure, it is my Emeralds that get all the playing time these days.

I had a Gibson acoustic guitar top crack when we moved to a dry climate in the 70s... it took that situation to teach me that wood acoustic guitars can't just survive on their own with the changes in climate. I lived with that extra care until the curiosity about carbon fiber got the better of me and I have that a try. Since that time, I bought one more wood acoustic guitar, but I don't see a point in doing that again. The Emeralds I have satisfy my desires for tone, playability, comfort, workmanship, and unique style that makes sense (guitars designed to fit the human body).

Yes, I still have a couple wood guitars, but that is more out of sentiment than practicality.

If you enjoy looking at customs, peruse Emerald's custom pages on their website.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-25-2020, 12:33 PM
mikealpine's Avatar
mikealpine mikealpine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I think a lot of us understand. I used to be a "Gibson guy"... kinda morphed into a "wood guitar guy"... focused more on Taylor and became a "Taylor guy"... then got my first carbon fiber guitar and discovered I am... a guitar guy. Although for full disclosure, it is my Emeralds that get all the playing time these days.

I had a Gibson acoustic guitar top crack when we moved to a dry climate in the 70s... it took that situation to teach me that wood acoustic guitars can't just survive on their own with the changes in climate. I lived with that extra care until the curiosity about carbon fiber got the better of me and I have that a try. Since that time, I bought one more wood acoustic guitar, but I don't see a point in doing that again. The Emeralds I have satisfy my desires for tone, playability, comfort, workmanship, and unique style that makes sense (guitars designed to fit the human body).

Yes, I still have a couple wood guitars, but that is more out of sentiment than practicality.

If you enjoy looking at customs, peruse Emerald's custom pages on their website.
I have a custom by Joel Stehr, didnít know it was too dry and the back developed a crack. I had it repaired and have been on top of it ever since. And while I expect to never sell that glorious sounding instrument, I donít play it much.

Re Emerald, I have, and they are lovely. I am strongly considering an X30 with fret markers and a veneer. If it sounds like I expect, and is as comfortable as the bevels make it seem, I can see that becoming my main player, relegating my RainSong H-OM to #2.
__________________
---------------------------------------

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-30-2020, 09:42 AM
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My passion is also with wood guitars, but I find I am just not wired to keep on top of the care they require. I do it, but it isn't something I want to do any more. I love my H-OM, and it is by far the most played guitar I own. I've got a Black Ice WS, but that is very similar, so I am looking to replace it with something different, hence the McPherson or Emerald consideration. I am still visually captivated by the beauty of a well-crafted wood guitar. Other than the CF area, I love to look through the Custom section.
This. I spent 7 weeks in Florida this winter and asked my wife to keep filling my humidifiers at home to keep my wood guitars wet enough since she couldn't come down with me. And if she did, I would have had to ask my son and sister to do it. There isn't enough room in our shared Florida condo to bring the wood guitars down there. And now with COVID, I haven't been to Florida since one day in March and I have no idea what the humidity level is in the guitar closet. AC is set for 80 degrees upstairs, so it should be a bit cooler and less humid downstairs where the closet is. Just bought a Sable to leave down there.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-31-2020, 02:43 PM
Dbone Dbone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My passion is also with wood guitars, but I find I am just not wired to keep on top of the care they require. I do it, but it isn't something I want to do any more. I love my H-OM, and it is by far the most played guitar I own. I've got a Black Ice WS, but that is very similar, so I am looking to replace it with something different, hence the McPherson or Emerald consideration. I am still visually captivated by the beauty of a well-crafted wood guitar. Other than the CF area, I love to look through the Custom section.
Not sure what you mean by ďall the careĒ wood guitars need. I find it so easy. They stay in their cases when not in use, have humidipaks in the cases in the winter, and I monitor humidity. For a small number of guitars I find this to be super easy to manage and well worth it. The way I work things there is literally almost no effort on my part other than having to de-case and re-case, which I donít mind at all...
__________________
2020 Yamaha LL56 Custom
2020 RainSong CO-WS1000N2
2020 PRS McCarty 594 Artist Pack (enroute)
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-01-2020, 11:21 AM
mikealpine's Avatar
mikealpine mikealpine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Not sure what you mean by ďall the careĒ wood guitars need. I find it so easy. They stay in their cases when not in use, have humidipaks in the cases in the winter, and I monitor humidity. For a small number of guitars I find this to be super easy to manage and well worth it. The way I work things there is literally almost no effort on my part other than having to de-case and re-case, which I donít mind at all...
I have too many guitars (not frequently heard here), and I keep them in the case, keep the room humidified, but find that I don't want to take them out, put them back, monitor for humidity levels, check on the case humidifiers, etc. I tend to forget, amidst my other life chores and passions. I leave my RainSong (now McPherson) out on a stand or hanging from the wall and I don't have to think about it. If I have 5 minutes to play while waiting for my wife to be ready to leave the house, I grab the guitar and play. Some people don't mind the steps taken, and even feel the care if part of the passion/hobby, and that's awesome. I barely water plants in my house, so the less I have to think about any kind of "maintenance", the better. I had my RainSong in one time to adjust the action and it has never needed anything again. I don't think I will even touch anything on the Sable, at least not yet. That's more my speed.

Speaking of the Sable, first impression, more mellow than I expected, not sure it can handle heavier strumming, but until I hear someone else play it, not sure it will even need heavier strumming. Didn't know about the roughened sides and back, so far, not unpleasant, just unexpected. Overall, I like the tone. I'll go more in depth when I have had more than 10 minutes with it.
__________________
---------------------------------------

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-01-2020, 12:18 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I have too many guitars (not frequently heard here), and I keep them in the case, keep the room humidified, but find that I don't want to take them out, put them back, monitor for humidity levels, check on the case humidifiers, etc. I tend to forget, amidst my other life chores and passions. I leave my RainSong (now McPherson) out on a stand or hanging from the wall and I don't have to think about it. If I have 5 minutes to play while waiting for my wife to be ready to leave the house, I grab the guitar and play. Some people don't mind the steps taken, and even feel the care if part of the passion/hobby, and that's awesome. I barely water plants in my house, so the less I have to think about any kind of "maintenance", the better. I had my RainSong in one time to adjust the action and it has never needed anything again. I don't think I will even touch anything on the Sable, at least not yet. That's more my speed.

Speaking of the Sable, first impression, more mellow than I expected, not sure it can handle heavier strumming, but until I hear someone else play it, not sure it will even need heavier strumming. Didn't know about the roughened sides and back, so far, not unpleasant, just unexpected. Overall, I like the tone. I'll go more in depth when I have had more than 10 minutes with it.
Your more my speed Mike. As much as I like wood, carbon fiber has come a very long way. I know I should never say "never", but since getting into CF, and for all the reasons you list, it is hard to ignore. The ergonomics are unparalleled, and that aside immunity of natural processes that plague wood instruments.

Own what inspires you to play, and nothing is quicker to kindle that inspiration than a CF guitar hanging on the wall or waiting on a stand. No fuss= big win IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-01-2020, 01:29 PM
tbeltrans tbeltrans is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 6,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Your more my speed Mike. As much as I like wood, carbon fiber has come a very long way. I know I should never say "never", but since getting into CF, and for all the reasons you list, it is hard to ignore. The ergonomics are unparalleled, and that aside immunity of natural processes that plague wood instruments.

Own what inspires you to play, and nothing is quicker to kindle that inspiration than a CF guitar hanging on the wall or waiting on a stand. No fuss= big win IMO.
You, Mike, and I seem to be on the same page about wood vs CF. I am currently rather torn on this because I really wanted to go all CF. However, I got my Taylors properly set up by a factory trained person using the shims, and these guitars are absolutely wonderful.

But then, I set up my Sable to even a bit lower action at the nut and saddle and now it plays just as easily.

But then, I played a couple of tunes on both and my wife prefers the sound of the Taylor, saying it is "warmer". It is likely I will keep both wood and CF for the foreseeable future. I suppose it doesn't really matter since I own the lot and have no compelling financial reason to sell any of them.

Tony
__________________
Dodge the little COVIDs...
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-01-2020, 02:24 PM
GuitarLuva GuitarLuva is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 1,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Speaking of the Sable, first impression, more mellow than I expected, not sure it can handle heavier strumming, but until I hear someone else play it, not sure it will even need heavier strumming. Didn't know about the roughened sides and back, so far, not unpleasant, just unexpected. Overall, I like the tone. I'll go more in depth when I have had more than 10 minutes with it.
Nice you got it! Regarding heavy strumming, I use a 0.6mm Dunlop tortex pick and it handles heavy strumming with that without issue. The textured back and sides were a surprise to me as well, though a good one. I like how it prevents the guitar from sliding around on you. You said you like the tone, does that mean it doesn't sound like a tin can or tin-can-squared?
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 PM
mikealpine's Avatar
mikealpine mikealpine is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You, Mike, and I seem to be on the same page about wood vs CF. I am currently rather torn on this because I really wanted to go all CF. However, I got my Taylors properly set up by a factory trained person using the shims, and these guitars are absolutely wonderful.

But then, I set up my Sable to even a bit lower action at the nut and saddle and now it plays just as easily.

But then, I played a couple of tunes on both and my wife prefers the sound of the Taylor, saying it is "warmer". It is likely I will keep both wood and CF for the foreseeable future. I suppose it doesn't really matter since I own the lot and have no compelling financial reason to sell any of them.

Tony
Tony, I will always own my Stehr. The sound is spectacular, and I donít say it lightly. I have an Edwinson that is great, and likely safe from being sold. I will likely sell my Taylor and the Ensor. The only other wood guitar I have is a Takamine from 1979 that has been through my last year or two of high school, college, my first marriage, helped in the courtship of my wife of 20 years...so much history! Every once in a while I get a gear acquisition seizure and think Iíll get another custom, but I have come to appreciate CF guitars so much, that Iíd rather get a new X20 with all the bevels. As GL said, theirís nothing like having a guitar that sits out and begs to be played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Nice you got it! Regarding heavy strumming, I use a 0.6mm Dunlop tortex pick and it handles heavy strumming with that without issue. The textured back and sides were a surprise to me as well, though a good one. I like how it prevents the guitar from sliding around on you. You said you like the tone, does that mean it doesn't sound like a tin can or tin-can-squared?
I played it a lot tonight and will post a NTCD in the very near future. Tonight I played it through my Fishman amp, and I guess I really like the sound of tin cans! Iíll do a better write up over the next day or two.
__________________
---------------------------------------

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=