The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2022, 12:22 PM

Default Emerald offset sound hole.

My Rainsong WS Black Ice (as well as my Guild dread) sounds the same when I play it and when I listen to it played by another person. My new Emerald X20 sounds great when I play it but it sounds a bit different when I listen to it played by another person.
I guess that the traditional centered sound hole of the Rainsong makes no difference between player and listener. But it seems to me that the offset sound hole of the X 20 does not project to the listener as well as it does to the player. Of course, I am talking about playing acoustic only. My son, who is a much better player than me, came to visit yesterday and played extensively both guitars, and listened to me playing them. I asked him an opinion and he said: "If you forced me to choose only one guitar, based on me playing them I would choose the Emerald. Based on listening at you playing them, I would choose the Rainsong..." Personally, I play for my own pleasure, and almost always only for myself, therefore I like the X20 off set sound hole because it gives me enhanced fullness and richness of sound. I wanted to share my impression and I'd like to know the thoughts of other X20 owners!

Last edited by gerardo1000; 09-04-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I think your observations are confirmed by your recent recording.

As I very rarely play for others, the way the guitar sounds to me is what matters most. I don’t think I’ve ever purchased an instrument based on how it might sound to an audience.

I find my Emeralds very satisfying to play, and to listen to.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-04-2022, 06:33 AM

I have had Rainsongs and a Emerald doubleneck. To be honest I never liked the look of the Emerald X20 type sound hole, much prefer the look Doubleneck’s sound holes. I think it enhances the players sound at the prices of the listener? Its like a speaker right up to you? I think its a bit short sighted to only be concerned about the players sound experience? A Rainsong with the addition of a player’s side sound port would be interesting to compare.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber