The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2020, 04:52 PM

I'll add my congrats, Scott. Definitely thought you were going to catch that Doerr Trinity, but you took a quick turn to the Froggy!!! Enjoy!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
And yet another reason to be a fan of Froggy Bottom guitars is when you send an email to their support address with a random question about front strap button placement position on Christmas Day afternoon and get a personal reply from the company owner an hour later with a detailed response!
He’s terrific. I’ve emailed him with comments or questions and received phone calls back from him almost immediately — day or night, weekend or holiday. I spoke with him this week and while he is looking forward to retirement, he plans on answering email and phone calls. After 50 years, FB is still his baby.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:42 PM

Scott: Congratulations - well done, and gorgeous guitar. I can't wait to hear what you think of the tone, and how your playing style fits with the H12 vs some of your prior instruments. From my experience, the H12 is a journey that unfolds, and will be a delicious process that may hold surprises for you.

Enjoy, and play it in good health as you cross the border of workaday living into a blissful retirement next year (aka, "phase 3" of life).
Old 12-26-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Merry Christmas to you! I’ve been watching that one - it’s a nice looking guitar. The fact that I have already bought too many guitars this year (including another Froggy) kept me from pulling the trigger so far. You saved me from myself (for now)!

I’m definitely seeing another Frog in my future,
But not sure if it will be an H12 or a K.
It a whole lot of watchers and on other offer. At my age I've learned that sometimes you need to trust your gut and go for it. I did that last year with the Martin D-1 Custom. Something just whispered in my ear that this guitar would be something special and work for me. I was right. This one did the same thing. Glad I could help save you from yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I'll add my congrats, Scott. Definitely thought you were going to catch that Doerr Trinity, but you took a quick turn to the Froggy!!! Enjoy!
Fred
Thanks, Fred. That Doerr was mighty tempting. I tried to get the guy to meet up so I could take it for a test drive since he was a few hours driving distance but with the current situation being what it is, it wasn't meant to be. But even so, you are right - the Froggy was a very quick turn from the initial find to it arriving at my door. I initially dismissed it but something kept whispering in my ear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Scott: Congratulations - well done, and gorgeous guitar. I can't wait to hear what you think of the tone, and how your playing style fits with the H12 vs some of your prior instruments. From my experience, the H12 is a journey that unfolds, and will be a delicious process that may hold surprises for you.

Enjoy, and play it in good health as you cross the border of workaday living into a blissful retirement next year (aka, "phase 3" of life).
I'm definitely taking my time getting to know her. I play standing so until I get the front strap button installed I've only been noodling a bit on the couch. I've been playing mostly all mahogany guitars for the past several years so the rosewood is a refreshing change and takes me back. I'm hoping to have it up and running for the next AGF Open Mic!
Old 12-29-2020, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I finally got around to installing the front strap button. Although I've done this to several guitars, it's still always terrifying drilling that first hole! I was glad to get position measurement instructions from Froggy Bottom as I would have located it lower than I did. Even still, it seemed like it was going to be too high up the heel but once installed it looks fine and I can see why they locate it where they do. Now that I can strap it on I've started to play it. We did an hour-long acoustic duo practice yesterday that went well.

I have noticed that the bridge string spacing is 2 3/16" and not the 2 5/16" that I thought it was. This is a significant finding as I find 2 3/16" to be just a tad on the narrow side for comfortable fingerstyle playing. I have owned several guitars, all Santa Cruz models, with 2 3/16" so I'm used to it but instantly I found the spacing tight with unintended adjacent string contact during fingerstyle play. This could very well end up in this guitar being sold down the road in favor of another one with wider spacing. Time will tell.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about the string spacing mixup- I feel your pain. For your info, thrte is a Froggy h12 in the classifieds right now with 2 3/8" bridge spacing (not mine). Perhaps a trade could be arramged?

good luck,
Brian
Old 12-29-2020, 08:29 AM

You might want to check with your Luthier and see if he can widen the string spacing at the nut a bit. I’ve done that with a couple guitars with good success. And without any string slippage.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Sorry to hear about the string spacing mixup- I feel your pain. For your info, thrte is a Froggy h12 in the classifieds right now with 2 3/8" bridge spacing (not mine). Perhaps a trade could be arramged?

good luck,
Brian
I did see this but I'm nowhere near the point of considering selling or trading off this guitar. It's still in the early stages and the string spacing is just one facet that potentially keeps the guitar from being absolutely perfect. I'll likely keep it for a year to fully evaluate and then at time if the spacing bugs me then I'll look into selling or trading for another one. There's a lot more to evaluate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You might want to check with your Luthier and see if he can widen the string spacing at the nut a bit. I’ve done that with a couple guitars with good success. And without any string slippage.
The nut spacing is perfect for me at 1 3/4". No needed change there.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I did see this but I'm nowhere near the point of considering selling or trading off this guitar. It's still in the early stages and the string spacing is just one facet that potentially keeps the guitar from being absolutely perfect. I'll likely keep it for a year to fully evaluate and then at time if the spacing bugs me then I'll look into selling or trading for another one. There's a lot more to evaluate.

The nut spacing is perfect for me at 1 3/4". No needed change there.
Then have a new saddle made?
Old 12-29-2020, 10:52 AM

Congrats on your new addition. H12 is a great guitar and I still use my custom order H12c (2000) as my daily player. It never disappoints though I do.

Strings: I have used Newtone Masterclass for many years - regular and double wound - but I also like the Pearse strings 12-54.

Michael had no concerns about putting a strap button on the heel. Sent me a little drawing which I'll try to find but nothing that you wouldn't guess. Put a round of leather between the button and the wood. Do whatever you need to play it as much as possible.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Then have a new saddle made?
You would need a whole new bridge. But if everything else was perfect and I couldn't live with the string spacing then that would certain be an option. I'd need to contact Froggy Bottom and see what something like that would cost, assuming they would even take it on.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You would need a whole new bridge. But if everything else was perfect and I couldn't live with the string spacing then that would certain be an option. I'd need to contact Froggy Bottom and see what something like that would cost, assuming they would even take it on.
I would think that the nut / bridge string spacing would be tied to the flare of the fretboard / neck, and thus adding a wider bridge alone will not suffice?

Tommy
Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
I would think that the nut / bridge string spacing would be tied to the flare of the fretboard / neck, and thus adding a wider bridge alone will not suffice?

Tommy
It's surely a moot point regardless. I would almost certainly just flip it for another one. And it's even more likely a moot point as I've now got two band practices under my belt and I'm not finding the string spacing a problem. Despite my reservations, I did play several guitars with that string spacing for a few years and it's coming back with ease. It actually seems a tad bit wider than I remember the Santa Cruz guitars feeling.

Another thing I've notice these last few years is that I much more flexible with things like string spacing, neck carve and scale length than I used to be. There was a time when if it didn't have a short scale, V neck and 1 3/4" & 2 1/4" widths I'd swear I could not play them. Now while I still have preferences, I've found that I can play almost anything without an issue.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Updated with video link and post-performance thoughts in top post.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

One last update to add video review & demo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion