The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 11:51 PM

1991 SCGC OM here, use it regularly to play out. I bought it bc it plays great and sounds good; why not use it for this? (Also use a Martin from time to time....same rationale).
Old 02-23-2020, 03:39 AM

I regularly play my D41 and Bourgeois Banjo Killer onstage and couldn’t imagine not using them. I didn’t buy them to resale so that’s not an issue with me. That being said, I’m SUPER careful with them and clean them religiously after gigs and wipe them down every time I play them.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 AM

I play out a little and play at church a little. Certainly less than some but more than others in this forum.

I was highly, highly protective of my HD-28vs when I first got it in the 90’s. So much so that I kept it in the case a lot and rarely let my kids (young at the time) anywhere near it. Sure regret that.

Perhaps it’s age, perhaps it’s reflection, but I’ve come to realize that “possessions”, guitars in particular, only have value if they are used as intended. Why would I have a “nice” guitar and not play it out?

The HD-28vs, my ‘78 Gurian and especially my OM-42K Get out of the house a lot. They’ve been banged around a little (rough church crowd!) but they sound great.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

We gig semi-regularly and I almost always only buy own guitars that I can gig. That said, since going over to Cole Clark guitars (ideally suited to live play) I rarely take the brand new (first one ever) Martin Custom except to the occasional open mic. Besides being ideally suited for live play from an amplification standpoint, the satin finish and decidedly lower dollar value/cost as compared to the Martin make it much easier on the mind to take the Cole Clarks anywhere!

As for buying a relic'd or a well used guitar vs. a pristine one, that's a way to go as well. It's that whole 'first dent in a new car' scenario. The first one hurts the most. So if you buy a guitar that already has a lot of 'character' then you won't worry about a few more dings here and there.

I remember once I bought a (very) used Martin 000-28EC from a friend that had a lot of finish cracks and needed a neck reset. It looked cool and almost vintage and still played like buttah. But I remember suddenly feeling much less anxious about taking that guitar out than my other, more pristine guitars.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I play out a little and play at church a little. Certainly less than some but more than others in this forum.

I was highly, highly protective of my HD-28vs when I first got it in the 90’s. So much so that I kept it in the case a lot and rarely let my kids (young at the time) anywhere near it. Sure regret that.

Perhaps it’s age, perhaps it’s reflection, but I’ve come to realize that “possessions”, guitars in particular, only have value if they are used as intended. Why would I have a “nice” guitar and not play it out?

The HD-28vs, my ‘78 Gurian and especially my OM-42K Get out of the house a lot. They’ve been banged around a little (rough church crowd!) but they sound great.
There's a difference between your guitar taking a knock in the course of you using it and something similar happening because some drunk guy picked it up and slipped when you're not watching.

I know it's still a material thing, however it gets the ding, but I'd still prefer not to put it at risk unnecessarily.

Mark Twain
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Default The Dilemma of Gigging Nice Guitars

I bought an Indonesian Tacoma/Orpheum at a going-out-of business sale years ago to protect my Taylor 414 from ever going out. But I seldom take either out as I am a bedroom balladeer.
The last guitar I took out much was a junky First Act that I got for $10 and adjusted til I could play it. I sang songs with children at church, so the sound didn’t matter, and I could be fearless that the kids could not make it any worse[emoji6]
I have a tiny crack on my D-14 side that I may have hit on table or maybe it just cracked. Will have it cleated when the luthier has time.
And my worst bo-bo came 50 years ago on the edge of the bed footboard. Not a big ding, but I cried then and I still sigh now. But that cedar top just keeps sounding better.
I can appreciate the gigging Dilemma for you giggers.
The good news is that there are a lot of sub 1K guitars that will really gig just as well as a 3K guitar.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Something I wrestle with: I like nice guitars, however, when I get something nice I tend to baby it, and get paranoid about taking it out to gigs, open mics, etc. Similarly with adding a pickup. I think about picking up a "beater", but then I don't get the satisfaction of playing something nicer, and I've kind of boxed myself into a corner in that I tend to prefer wider nuts/string spacing which limits my options. I'm not opposed to a "reliced" instrument, but there's limited options. I just know I would worry less about one of those. I know there are a lot of critics of artificially aged instruments, and those would say "just relic it naturally by playing it", but I bet many of them would also be cautious of taking a pricey instrument out, lol.
I suppose much of my paranoia is that on the resale market the slightest imperfection can often be highly scrutinized. I have to say I didn't really worry about such things in the 70's--and I think about times when players had essentially one instrument that got used for any and every thing. What say you--just get the instrument that you want, and use it for it's intended purpose--taking it out and playing?? Just like the old days?
Follow Willie and enjoy your guitar.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:48 PM

Every guitar I own gets played out. No exceptions! No Hanger Queens!

While I started playing in 1964, my gigging really started 35 years ago. To date I’ve never Registered even a simple ding on any of my instruments.

Just be smart about it and keep your eye on your equipment. Never let people you don’t know handle or play your instrument.

My current stash:

* 1997 Martin D-45V
* 2015 Martin ‘39 D-18 Authentic
* 2019 Martin ‘39 D-18 Authentic
* 2018 Martin 000-18GE Custom
* 1999 Collings D-1
* 2014 Collings D2HA
* 1971 Guild F-312NT

If I wasn’t willing to play them out, I wouldn’t own any of them.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Something I wrestle with: I like nice guitars, however, when I get something nice I tend to baby it, and get paranoid about taking it out to gigs, open mics, etc. Similarly with adding a pickup. I think about picking up a "beater", but then I don't get the satisfaction of playing something nicer, and I've kind of boxed myself into a corner in that I tend to prefer wider nuts/string spacing which limits my options. I'm not opposed to a "reliced" instrument, but there's limited options. I just know I would worry less about one of those. I know there are a lot of critics of artificially aged instruments, and those would say "just relic it naturally by playing it", but I bet many of them would also be cautious of taking a pricey instrument out, lol.
I suppose much of my paranoia is that on the resale market the slightest imperfection can often be highly scrutinized. I have to say I didn't really worry about such things in the 70's--and I think about times when players had essentially one instrument that got used for any and every thing. What say you--just get the instrument that you want, and use it for it's intended purpose--taking it out and playing?? Just like the old days?

Yeppers...what was wrong with the "old ways" of the "old days"? Folks concentrated on the music, and the playing of, and didn't worry about OCD/AR stuff like tonewoods and bracing patterns, and top tuning, and perfect flawless fit and finish, and dings and dents and the effect on resale value thereof.

They just played and had fun. What's not to like about that?

You remember...don't you miss it?

Well...take it back!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-23-2020, 05:48 PM

I’m having a LRBaggs Lyric installed in my Washburn RSD135 Solo. This will be my open mic guitar.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Yeppers...what was wrong with the "old ways" of the "old days"? Folks concentrated on the music, and the playing of, and didn't worry about OCD/AR stuff like tonewoods and bracing patterns, and top tuning, and perfect flawless fit and finish, and dings and dents and the effect on resale value thereof.

You remember...don't you miss it?

Well...take it back!

duff

Be A Player...Not A Polisher

I’ve sold off any guitar that I would not feel comfortable playing at a gig or open mic

IMG]
Old 02-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
...what was wrong with the "old ways" of the "old days?" Folks concentrated on the music, and the playing of, and didn't worry about OCD/AR stuff like tonewoods and bracing patterns, and top tuning, and perfect flawless fit and finish, and dings and dents and the effect on resale value thereof.

Depends which circles you move in; over the last six decades I've associated with classical and jazz musicians who not only concern themselves with all of the above, but IME have more fun than 90% of the people I've met at typical guitar-oriented gatherings - a by-product of their deep understanding of music in general (not just "guitar," as do too many of our own) and a profound respect for the tools needed to produce it. As a kid I took lessons from a jazz player (not too much older than me, BTW) who taught me that the only places a properly-handled guitar should have hand/fingerprints is the neck/tuner knobs - and you wipe those after every playing...

I don't know if you've been exposed to a broad selection of vintage archtops but IME they're generally characterized by what is known as "honest wear," most often manifested as thinning/loss of the finish on the back of the neck along the entire length - a testament to the theoretical knowledge/technical expertise of the owner(s) - along with a few random dings and/or the expected lacquer checking; suffice it to say that, in contrast, with the exception of rarefied fare like 45-Series Martins similar-age flattops as a whole tend to exhibit eminently-preventable damage (there's no other word for it - it definitely ain't mojo ) in one form or another. When classical instruments (orchestral strings, classical guitars) - where useful life is often measured in centuries - are brought into the equation, it doesn't speak well for us steel-string flattop players as a group for 20-30 year-old guitars to look like they've been to Hades and back; small wonder there's still a certain amount of prejudice among players of more sophisticated genres - unfortunately not without justification in light of the above, and a state of affairs that's easily changed with the desire and self-discipline to do so...

As for me, I'll play my guitars well and often, and enjoy them now - and treat them with the care they deserve for succeeding generations to enjoy, in equal measure, after my demise...
Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 PM

i gig with a couple of Taylor Nylons, street value of between $1200 and $2500. And both get out regularly. Play the guitars you love, just be careful when you play out. And if you're at a crowded bar, bring the less expensive one.

Funny story, one of the Taylors I bought used. Perfect shape, Cedar over Tas Blackwood. For 3 years, not so much as a scratch was on the guitar. Then, during one gig, I managed to put a fairly significant ding in the top and and gouge in the back of the neck (separate incidents!).
Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

So has OP still got those good guitars or has he replaced them? Good guitars are like trophies if they are not used for what they are intended for.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
So has OP still got those good guitars or has he replaced them? Good guitars are like trophies if they are not used for what they are intended for.
Which is what? For playing, right? The OP never said he wasn't playing them, just that he had concerns about playing them out (gigging).

There are many that gig with their best instruments and many that don't. What you think is the right approach and what I think is the right approach are opinions and there is no set right or wrong answer, only what is right for each individual.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion