The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Raining H-WS1000 and Aura images?

One might argue this post should go in the amplification section. Since I am inquiring about a specific carbon composit guitar I felt I would get a better response in the this section. Mod please move if you feel it appropriate

I have a H-WS1000 that I would like to upgrade the onboard Fishman prefix. I am contemplating an onboard Aura barn door PRE.

So Any H-WS1000 owners (or any Rainsong guitar) enjoying a specific image for their guitar

please feel free to chime in about any pickups you have had success with your rainsong.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Just a logistical question: Why not just use the Aura pedal? Basically the same functionality, but without re-wiring the guitar. The Aura was built to work with that Fishman under-saddle pickup, so the pedal would work just as well. But if you want all that control on-board, maybe? I've thought about getting the pedal myself, just haven't pulled the trigger.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Just a logistical question: Why not just use the Aura pedal? Basically the same functionality, but without re-wiring the guitar. The Aura was built to work with that Fishman under-saddle pickup, so the pedal would work just as well. But if you want all that control on-board, maybe? I've thought about getting the pedal myself, just haven't pulled the trigger.
Good Advice! I've used my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI with both a RainSong DR1000 and a RainSong WS1000 with improved amplified tone over just their onboard systems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-22-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=SpruceTop;6299425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Just a logistical question: Why not just use the Aura pedal? Basically the same functionality, but without re-wiring the guitar. The Aura was built to work with that Fishman under-saddle pickup, so the pedal would work just as well. But if you want all that control on-board, maybe? I've thought about getting the pedal myself, just haven't pulled the trigger.[/QUOTE
]

Good Advice! I've used my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI with both a RainSong DR1000 and a RainSong WS1000 with improved amplified tone over just their onboard systems.
I had an Aura pedal which I donated a while back to a friend who had hers stolen. There was one image, I believe it was number 15, of a carbon fiber guitar but it didn't specifically tell what guitar it was. It definitely sounded better than just the Fishman by its self.

these days, for the price of an Aura Pedal I can get a used barndoor aura. plus I do like the convenience of fingertip controls. regardless, what images are you using for your Rainsong
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 02-22-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mbroady;6299468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post

I had an Aura pedal which I donated a while back to a friend who had hers stolen. There was one image, I believe it was number 15, of a carbon fiber guitar but it didn't specifically tell what guitar it was. It definitely sounded better than just the Fishman by its self.

these days, for the price of an Aura Pedal I can get a used barndoor aura. plus I do like the convenience of fingertip controls. regardless, what images are you using for your Rainsong
I don't have my list present, and I don't have any RainSongs anymore. What I did was download the RainSong Aura images to the Aura Spectrum DI and I auditioned them until I found a couple that sounded the best.

What I'd do, for about the same cost as a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, is buy a ToneDexter and use a decent mic to train it with the RainSong. This way, you'll be developing Images that are specific to your guitar.

I've now got an Emerald but I haven't yet tried training it with a Tonedexter. By the way, an Aura Pedal also works quite well with an LR Baggs Element UST.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=SpruceTop;6299542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

I don't have my list present, and I don't have any RainSongs anymore. What I did was download the RainSong Aura images to the Aura Spectrum DI and I auditioned them until I found a couple that sounded the best.

What I'd do, for about the same cost as a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, is buy a ToneDexter and use a decent mic to train it with the RainSong. This way, you'll be developing Images that are specific to your guitar.

I've now got an Emerald but I haven't yet tried training it with a Tonedexter. By the way, an Aura Pedal also works quite well with an LR Baggs Element UST.
Tonedexter is always an option but, like i said, I want finger tip control, both for EQ and image swapping. Hence why I’m interested in the barn door Aura.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 02-22-2020, 01:23 PM

If you have an IR loader, than you can use this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=571361

I like my HX Stomp as it covers all the other bases and loads an IR.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mbroady;6299547]
Quote:

Tonedexter is always an option but, like i said, I want finger tip control, both for EQ and image swapping. Hence why I’m interested in the barn door Aura.
I've had a circa 2009 Martin DC-16E (I think that was the model) that had the Fishman Onboard Aura barndoor system. I was able to get an excellent amplified tone from this combination. I've also had the Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature Model with the Fishman Onboard Aura that sounded superb when amplified. *If this system is still available (the currently-listed Fishman Aura Pro may be a bit smaller in its bezel dimensions), I'd go ahead and get it and it will fit the RainSong without any modification from the PreFix Plus T bezel dimensions. You can check all onboard preamp dimensions on the Fishman website to make sure any prospective system dimensions will fit your current barndoor hole.

*I was considering doing this modification way back when and you may be able to source the Fishman Onboard Aura on eBay. There were a few systems available back then. Good Luck!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-22-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

duplicate post
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 02-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=SpruceTop;6299574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post

I've had a circa 2009 Martin DC-16E (I think that was the model) that had the Fishman Onboard Aura barndoor system. I was able to get an excellent amplified tone from this combination. I've also had the Composite Acoustics Tim Stafford Signature Model with the Fishman Onboard Aura that sounded superb when amplified. *If this system is still available (the currently-listed Fishman Aura Pro may be a bit smaller in its bezel dimensions), I'd go ahead and get it and it will fit the RainSong without any modification from the PreFix Plus T bezel dimensions. You can check all onboard preamp dimensions on the Fishman website to make sure any prospective system dimensions will fit your current barndoor hole.

*I was considering doing this modification way back when and you may be able to source the Fishman Onboard Aura on eBay. There were a few systems available back then. Good Luck!

I’m keeping an eye out on eBay. Nothing now but I have seen them pop up every now and then. Might also consider a used Fishman mic and UST blend on board pre
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 02-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mbroady;6300305]
Quote:

I’m keeping an eye out on eBay. Nothing now but I have seen them pop up every now and then. Might also consider a used Fishman mic and UST blend on board pre
You could email Fishman and see if they still have any NOS Fishman Onboard Aura systems available that they'd sell you. If I remember correctly, they sold for about $450 back in 2012.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber