The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Are you a player who's ear and playing skill can distinguish between the nuances of body styles, construction and tonewoods as a driving motive to collect guitars, or are you being influenced by forum-speak to be a collector for collecting's sake? To me it sounds like the latter and that isn't a musical reason for collecting.

My suggestion is to get your ears and hands to a skill level that can contribute the proper information needed to direct your decisions. It really is the only way to go.
I agree. I started with Epiphone Masterbilts from the 2003-2010 production run. They were inexpensive, well made, and easy to play. I've bought and sold many guitars since then. My tastes in guitars have evolved, as I expect the OP's will, too. After many years I've settled into the keepers listed below.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-22-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillzVonSizzle View Post
Hello all --

And that, right there, is my question. What do you think is the essential first building block of a guitar collection? While my gut tells me "a decent dreadnought," I'd really like to get some perspective from those of you with a bunch of guitars. If you had to start your collections over, what would you begin with...like, as a beginner?
When I go into a fine guitar store I ask for short scale 000 sized guitars with at least 1 3/4 nut width and plenty of sustain. But I'm an older player with very particular desires learned over the years by playing guitars that didn't give me all that I wanted.

As a "beginner" (you're not really a beginner) I would need to play a bunch of guitars to see what fit my needs. But that doesn't really answer the question.

For a collection I would think something along the lines of:

A dread - maybe a hog. A D-18 kind of instrument.
A 000/OM in rosewood.
A smaller instrument if you're into playing while you slouch on the sofa.

From there I'd start to satisfy an itch. Might be for beautiful wood, or outstanding builders - or both. Maybe a Bourgeois. At some point your wallet really starts to dictate your choices - maybe immediately.

12 string? 12 fret? Koa? Etc. So many choices.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Sounds like the OP is already starting his search by playing some different instruments. I think as one continues playing, continues experiencing different guitar sounds and feels that "collections" organically happen.

If possible when casting your net by playing guitars in stores it might be good to play a couple of models from somewhere in the center of the lines of Martin, Taylor, Gibson and possibly Guild too. I think this sort of thing might help you get some guideposts about what are some "classic" sounds and approaches to flat-top 6 string acoustic guitar. As you try to hit those signposts, mix it up a bit on body sizes. It'd be good to try at least one rosewood b&s guitar, and at least one mahogany top and one cedar top guitar.

But there's no requirement to be systematic. If you find a guitar you like that you can afford, that's the start of a collection.

BTW. I have a Korean made Cort Parkwood. I can't speak for the line in general, but mine is a nice guitar, one that I think is clearly in the ballpark of other now better-known and currently available upper range Chinese guitars.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 02-22-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

My collection was not planned but after buying a few guitars I realized that I had a bit of a "collection" going. From an acoustic standpoint, I have opted to enhance my "collection" with different woods and styles. I now have a Taylor 810 (Brazilian Rosewood) dread, a Larrivee OM-40 walnut, a 1996 Larrivee OM-09 (rosewood) 12-fret (custom), and a Martin OO-28. Didn't plan it that way -- it just sort of evolved. You may opt to collect OM's or 12-fretters or whatever makes you happy. When the GAS arrives I ask myself -- which guitar would I sell to buy the next one, and would that enhance my collection ? My thought process then goes to which guitar do I play the least. In my case it's the Taylor 810, but that's also the guitar I've had since the 1990's and has the most sentimental value. I now focus on playing more and improving, which seems to reduce the GAS as I realize how great my collection already is! Enjoy the ride cause you can't buy 'em all ! Seek your own happiness in guitars!
Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Are you a player who's ear and playing skill can distinguish between the nuances of body styles, construction and tonewoods as a driving motive to collect guitars, or are you being influenced by forum-speak to be a collector for collecting's sake? To me it sounds like the latter and that isn't a musical reason for collecting.

My suggestion is to get your ears and hands to a skill level that can contribute the proper information needed to direct your decisions. It really is the only way to go.

Thanks for the feedback. For clarification, I’m asking where you would begin your guitar collection if for some reason you had to start over. Taking what you’ve learned about your preferences and the intangibles that draw you to some instruments over others, what would be the most crucial first building block for you?

I’m not asking what “my” guitar collection should look like. I’m not sitting here looking for guidance on how to spend thousands of dollars that I don’t have. Guitar collections obviously aren’t built overnight, and they come together organically, not by calculation. To be honest, I don’t even realistically expect to ever have a significant high-end collection of my own. However, as this forum is populated by guitar collectors, I am interested in hearing about your experiences and seeing what you’ve learned from them. I’ve been playing off and on for over thirty years, and I’m really only exploring the acoustic world now — and I’m kicking myself for not doing so sooner.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

i NEVER set out to be a collector.

For many years I had just one guitar ... at a time, working my way up from a cheap house model Jumbo, to a strange brand of an OM to a Harmony Jumbo H1265, to a Gibson J50, to an Epiphone Frontier, to a Gibson SJ200, to Guild D40, to a Martin (d18 or d28 - couldn't really understand the difference although one was prettier than the other), then a D35 that I kept from '75 to '96. This was my bluegrass period, so a Dobro followed, then a mandolin.

My big mistake was swapping it for a J40 -one of the worst guitars I had -apart from the Gibsons.

However, it taught me to start looking for a guitar that fitted me and my style.

Cut to 1999. Collings DS2h. Heaven.
Did I mention the 0028 that my wife had built fr me in '98?
started haunting ebay for Collings guitars - 0002h, DS1, another Ds2h. then someone turned up at my door with a DS1ASB. (I stopped buying Collingses.
12 strings - a Martin D12-20 replaced a D12-35,
National style "O" , a Weissenborn
Upgraded my mandolin and dobro.
Got into archtops from 2006, and then a couple more.
Got a Roy Smeck style jumbo.

Etc. I really didn't mean to become a collector.

I've been playing since the mid-late '60s, but didn't really start "accumulting" until the 21st century particularly after 2000 when my financial situation became clear.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 AM

There is one thing, and one thing only, that is THE critical place to start building a collection:

A large checking account or credit limit.

There....finally someone tells the truth.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:22 AM

You might be overthinking it.

Buy a guitar that you like and can afford. If you go off it then sell it and buy something else (flipping). As long you like it and play it, keep it and if you fancy something else and can afford it, buy that too.

Repeat until bored, satisfied or dead.

I think that covers everything.

Mark Twain
Old 02-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
There is one thing, and one thing only, that is THE critical place to start building a collection:

A large checking account or credit limit.

There....finally someone tells the truth.

I suppose this is the only “correct” answer. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 02-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Dont collect guitars -bad idea
unless you do it over a very long time
popularity drives prices , not getting a great guitar.
and popularity changes as the wind changes -

Your money would better serve you in the bank !
Old 02-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Dont collect guitars -bad idea
unless you do it over a very long time
popularity drives prices , not getting a great guitar.
and popularity changes as the wind changes -

Your money would better serve you in the bank !
I didn't get the impression that the OP was looking to start a collection for financial reasons...
Old 02-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
what would be the most crucial first building block for you?
#1 neck shape and string spacing

Large necks, big ol' V necks, very thin profile necks, and wider string spacing simply don't work for me

and it took too many guitars that didn't " fit " to find out......
Old 02-23-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
i NEVER set out to be a collector.
My thoughts while reading through this thread. Start with a guitar that suits you, especially in terms of your musical ventures. Build an opus, not a collection of instruments.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

If you come from an electric past and you know the fretboard I would get a Gibson. A little less nut width than Martin and Taylor(by a 32 th of an inch) and a rounder fretboard (although they have new Martin radius models now). Gibson's have a nice dry tone that you can play fast tunes on easily. You can dig in with a pick.

Like Stevie Ray Vaughan:
https://youtu.be/BMK1g4rHrWY?t=70
Old 02-24-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Clarification

I see the OP’s post on this page and his specific question, if you had it to do over again...

I bought a Larrivee L-09 in 2000 but in about 2010 I decided I wanted a smaller guitar and wanted to learn to play finger style. When I bought the Larrivee I liked a Taylor but it cost more. So this time I decided I would get a rosewood Taylor (GC7 is what I chose). But that day the guitar I liked best was a Martin 000-18GE which cost about $500 more. You see where this is going? $1000 to $1700 to $2200. My finances have changed over time.

But I will also say that as much as I still like Larrivees, I don’t like their neck shape. I have had several and that’s what it comes down to.

Long story to get to this point.

1. Regardless of cost, the guitar MUST be comfortable to you. Then you will play it.

2. If you have the money to do it at the beginning, I would buy a Martin 000-18 or OM of some sort. That choice depends on which scale length you prefer. If you strum more than pick, then probably an OM. Used probably. Martin has changed the specifications and the newer 18s approach the GE in some features, bracing. Not Adirondack top and more modern neck profile and spacing I think. You can research that part and play a few. I actually don’t have one now but think it is an excellent guitar.

It is midrange price wise. It is midrange for size. It retains its value better than most and is a good place to buy, sell, trade up or down. And you might just keep it.

My signature isn’t up to date. So in the 000/OM group I have a Martin 000-28 blackwood/Carpathian spruce and an OM-28e retro. I gave the Guild on permanent loan to someone and the Gibson I have listed to sell but not pushing very hard on that. Just don’t “need” two 00s.

20/20 hindsight says I might still have that one if I knew what I know now in 2010.

Have fun!

Last edited by Psfam; 02-24-2020 at 06:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion