The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Default A safe experience buying used from GC

A lot of people love to hate Guitar Center.

But I've found buying used from them to be a really good experience. The prices are always much better than Reverb and it's safer than Reverb or eBay.

Recently I helped a friend buy a used guitar from a remote GC store and get it shipped. Upon receipt, it was in much worse condition than described (amateur refinish job with drips and awfulness plus a bad ES2 pickup system).

So we drove to the nearby GC store, asked to make a return. They did ask if we wanted them to take a look at it or see if they could help make it better and we said "no thanks we just want to return it." They didn't challenge anything and didn't even open the case. They just refunded the money fully, including shipment and we were out of there in ten minutes.

I was so impressed with their "no questions asked" return policy.

I felt totally safe in buying used from them and will totally keep doing so.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 AM

Guitar Center policy is that you pay shipping if returned.
You did well not having to pay shipping.

When I purchased a used guitar from them that was shipped to the store, I had to pay shipping when I declined to keep the guitar.
I knew that up front and didn't have a problem with the policy.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM

It's good to see a positive post about GC for a change. I've always had good experiences with them. Not only in satisfied new purchases, but with no hassle returns such as yours.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

You don’t have to pay shipping if the guitar is not as advertised in any way, such as case missing, worse condition than indicated, wrong model etc., all of which I’ve experienced more than should have been.

The return policy is by far the best thing about GC, imo.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I'd have to agree with GC's return policy being among the best things that they offer. It's a pretty good deal to be able to try out a used guitar for 45 days, get a real feel for the instrument and return it, with in my experience, no questions asked, if it doesn't "do it" for you. Shipping costs are for me generally about $20, I don't consider that top be too bad.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:35 AM

I've bought a couple of used guitars from GC. I have them shipped to a location near me. It's hard to argue with a 45 day trial period and no questions asked return policy.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-18-2020, 12:08 PM

The return policy is VERY nice but... thats not what people complain about. People complain because GC has terrible quality control. They are far from reputable when it comes to second hand online sales. The quality control when they buy the instrument is a joke. Then they are told to list the condition higher then they buy it at witch has been the case every time I have sold them anything.. Sure at least you can take it back to the local GC but what is your time worth? Its like playing the lottery.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

There's no shipping for used items if it's returned to a local GC, even if you did pay shipping to have it delivered there or your own address. They just re-list the item with the new location.

I agree the liberal return policy is a reason to look at their used listings. I'm starting my 3rd week of a "trial" purchase of a used acoustic guitar - something I would never had done with a typical online purchase return policy, if there even is one. Their shipping charges are really low, too, though you do have the risk that they may underpack or insure it, so picking up at a local store is what I always do. Any problems noticed, you don't even have to take it home, just get the credit back on the spot.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:35 PM

I have no beef with GC, but when it comes to used stuff, their return policy is literally the ONLY reason I would consider them. Compared to Reverb, eBay, or CL, their prices are nothing special. Of course, it depends on what you're looking for, and how long you're willing to look.

My main issue, though, is that their item descriptions and photos are absolutely pathetic. Typically a single crappy photo that you can't zoom in on, and the only description of condition is a rating from "Fair" to "Excellent", with no specifics whatsoever. Not nearly enough info to make an informed decision, IMO.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
I have no beef with GC, but when it comes to used stuff, their return policy is literally the ONLY reason I would consider them. Compared to Reverb, eBay, or CL, their prices are nothing special. Of course, it depends on what you're looking for, and how long you're willing to look.

My main issue, though, is that their item descriptions and photos are absolutely pathetic. Typically a single crappy photo that you can't zoom in on, and the only description of condition is a rating from "Fair" to "Excellent", with no specifics whatsoever. Not nearly enough info to make an informed decision, IMO.
You can always call the store and talk to someone. Being GC, that can be a fairly random experience, but I was able to talk to a nice person that even sent me some good quality phone photos.

But, yes, it's kind of a luck-of-the-draw thing. Still, that return policy, especially for a nicer acoustic guitar, is nothing to be sniffed at IMO/IME if they do have something that's interesting and fairly valued. (The guitar I have now was possibly undervalued for GC and certainly the condition was not overstated.)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post

It's just hard to click "buy" on a the basis of one crappy, small photo. Most Craigslist ads are better illustrated. Guitar Center doesn't need to hire pro photographers, though that's not a bad idea. They first need to throw away the white sheets they use as backdrops, because that throws off the exposure on the instrument. With a neutral gray background and better lighting, even an iPhone would do a much better job. And would it kill them to take a photo of the front and the back?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 PM

I've had two used purchases through GC. The first, a red label Yamaha FG150 and the other, a Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic amp. Both were just as advertised. I later donated the Yamaha to a buddy of mine as I acquired a Martin D17-M that actually had the tone I was seeking.

Loved the convenience of shipping to the store and checking the goods out right there in case of any issues.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
...The prices are always much better than Reverb ...
Well, I don't know about that. I'd say they're comparable for used guitars. The problem with GC used gear is: the description is basically good, fair, very good, or whatever, but that's it. Hardly any description. Same with photos. Usually there's only one photo.

The return policy does sort of make up for that though. I bought a Gibson Songwriter 12-string from some out of state GC, had it delivered to my home. It was gorgeous, BUT the top center seam was seriously split. Took it to my local GC. They took one look at it - full refund!

(I since got a superb, near-new Songwriter 12 from Chicago Music Exchange at a greatly reduced price. Keeper!)

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
There's no shipping for used items if it's returned to a local GC, even if you did pay shipping to have it delivered there or your own address. They just re-list the item with the new location.
I don't think that's true unless the item doesn't work or isn't as described. I've been able to get them to refund it for something that didn't work but they're upfront about it not being refundable if you just don't like it.

I do like that I've been able to find a few boutique guitar pedals there cheaper than the best price on reverb.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM

Again, I had GC send a used guitar from an out of state GC to their store for me. I paid shipping.
The guitar was not as described.
It needed a neck reset.
I was refunded my purchase price but they kept the shipping fees.

The guitar went right back up for sale on their used section online.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion