The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2020, 02:47 PM

Default Rainsong WS 1000 String advice

I have one of these I bought new in 2002. I always preferred bright sounding guitars, and I liked this one until my hearing changed over the last couple of years.

I recently bought a Rainsong SMH (a "Smokey", I think they're called). It sounds much better to my damaged, hearing-aided ears. Most seem to think they are a warmer sounding model because they are 12 fret and a hybrid CF, I believe. Anyway, I like it better and will be selling my WS 1000.

Here's the question: since I have no idea what a buyer might want tonally, what strings would you recommend to bring out the best in this guitar? If I were keeping it, I'd choose something to warm it up, but the goal is to please a potential buyer.

I've always used coated light gauge, mostly D'Addario EXP 16s. Long lasting, in case the sale takes a while. Monels also last well, but most find them warmer.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

String up the WS1000 with Elixer Nanoweb Light-gauge Phosphor Bronze strings like the ones that RainSong generally put on their guitars.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-16-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:55 PM

I also have a Smokey SMH. I have 3 Rainsongs, but that's the one I always use for gigs, especially outdoors. Has a great "WHOOMP" to it.

For quite a while now, I've used GHS "Silk and (Phosphor) Bronze" in the "Medium Light" thickness (same as standard "Lights" in most steel acoustic strings (12-54). On this guitar, anyway, they seem to have just as much power as all metal, but they have closer to a traditional "wood guitar" sound, plus are easier on the elderly fretting hand. I now have them on all 3 of my Rainsongs.

Peter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber