The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Default NGD for an aching fret hand

I perform in an acoustic trio where I am the sole guitar and it’s been a lot of fun. We perform a number of songs that I use alternate tunings in so I’ve settled on a system that requires me to use 3 acoustics to achieve this without undue amounts of tuning before the audience.
I was using a trio of Taylor’s which proved a poor choice as there seemed to be little to no sonic difference between them even though they were not the same body style. Another problem that had to be addressed is a constant minor pain in my fretting hand as approaching 60 has apparently come with baggage. Finding a good sounding acoustic with a comfortable action has been an exhausting search.

Today I auditioned a 2017 Gibson HP 415W that was at a nearby GC.
This guitar is comfortable, light, low action and definitely does not sound like a Taylor!. I got it home and restrung it with DR Rare 12-54’s and have been playing the heck out of it all afternoon. The LR Baggs pickup system sounds just fine, better than my Taylor’s. (which are the older 1.2 version to be replaced with MiSi Align XT’s very soon).

I’ve read the numerous opinions of Gibson acoustics being very hit or miss sonically but I’m happy ! Hitting an open mic tomorrow night and think I’ll leave the Taylor’s at home.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
I perform in an acoustic trio where I am the sole guitar and it’s been a lot of fun. We perform a number of songs that I use alternate tunings in so I’ve settled on a system that requires me to use 3 acoustics to achieve this without undue amounts of tuning before the audience.
I was using a trio of Taylor’s which proved a poor choice as there seemed to be little to no sonic difference between them even though they were not the same body style. Another problem that had to be addressed is a constant minor pain in my fretting hand as approaching 60 has apparently come with baggage. Finding a good sounding acoustic with a comfortable action has been an exhausting search.

Today I auditioned a 2017 Gibson HP 415W that was at a nearby GC.
This guitar is comfortable, light, low action and definitely does not sound like a Taylor!. I got it home and restrung it with DR Rare 12-54’s and have been playing the heck out of it all afternoon. The LR Baggs pickup system sounds just fine, better than my Taylor’s. (which are the older 1.2 version to be replaced with MiSi Align XT’s very soon).

I’ve read the numerous opinions of Gibson acoustics being very hit or miss sonically but I’m happy ! Hitting an open mic tomorrow night and think I’ll leave the Taylor’s at home.
Hi Tom, My main Acoustic guitar is a Maton SRS808C and it's the most comfortable acoustic guitar i've ever played in terms of the neck. I don't get a sore fretting hand at all no matter how many hours i spend a day playing it. (just the ends of my fingers).

Maton's are a bit difficult to find in the US (if that's where you live). but there are dealers over there who sell them. I live in Australia and since they're an aussie make they're easy to find everywhere, especially if you live in Melbourne where they're based out of.

Bottom line is. if you ever come across a music shop that sells Matons, try a few of them out. you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tomm, hope the Gibson works out well for you.....as a playing guitar and as that contrast to the Taylors.

As to fretting hand fatigue, have you tried low tension strings? I've got those 60+ aches too, and I am using the Heritage strings by Newtone, which are really easy to order direct from the maker in the UK. They are low tension so I don't need to push as hard to get the notes. There are several AGF threads on low tension strings if you are interested in learning more.

Col
Old 01-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Where are the pics?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion