The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 04:06 PM

I have bought and sold many, and really have no regrets of the ones I have sold. It was there time to go. I lost my backside on getting rid of a Larrivee L in trade on an Eastman - but it was my own fault on accepting the trade - but really my only big loss in buying and selling.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Basically this. Once I make a decision, I stand by it and don't look back. I've sold a couple of one-of-a-kind guitars and could still replace them if I felt the need with something that would do the job. No regrets. Live for the future, not the past.
This^
-Don't live in regret. You made the decision at that point in your Journey, go with it--it was needed then. You truly didn't "need" that guitar, or weren't ready for it. This Guitar Life is just frosting, just fun, and regret shouldn't visit that space.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:39 PM

Great thread. The guitar I am most upset that got away or that I sold was a Webber OM with Macassar ebony. I had never heard of Webber before and came across a used mint 1 year old at Guitar Center. It had been originally sold by the Minor Chord and it was more than 50% it's original cost. I bought it and loved it but during the 45 days Gtr Center window I came across a 1980 mint condition es 175 that I had to have so I returned the Webber and put the funds towards it. I knew I made a mistake and 2 days later went back to buy the Webber but it was gone.

The only good thing that came out of it is that I found a new and great music store in Massachusetts (The Minor Chord) that originally sold the Webber and have since purchased some instruments from them.!
Old 01-25-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have bought and sold many, and really have no regrets of the ones I have sold. It was there time to go. I lost my backside on getting rid of a Larrivee L in trade on an Eastman - but it was my own fault on accepting the trade - but really my only big loss in buying and selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
This^
-Don't live in regret. You made the decision at that point in your Journey, go with it--it was needed then. You truly didn't "need" that guitar, or weren't ready for it. This Guitar Life is just frosting, just fun, and regret shouldn't visit that space.
Then my post was not intended for you.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Many years ago I treaded a Dave Wren and a GW Barry on a Santa Cruz OM.
That would have been around 1992, while the SGCG was a fine instrument it was not a Dave Wren. I bought the Wren used when Dave was still at the Twelfth Fret. That guitar was
unspeakably incredible, I miss it greatly.
I tried about five years ago to find a similar model, to no avail.
It was as fine a guitar as Dave Wren is a fine and decent human being.
I now play a Breedlove CM built by Jayson Bowerman, again, it is no Dave Wren.
Jonnyd
Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Lap Steel

Years ago I had a bright red 6 string lap steel that I let go. I think about that guitar because it sounded so good.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 PM

We sell guitars?!?!? I thought we kept them all, he (or she) who dies with the most guitars wins!!! Was I told wrong???
Old 01-25-2020, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Songwriter

I sold a Songwriter Deluxe to buy a SJ200 and while I like the SJ, I regret parting with my SW deluxe
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM

Plastic Maccaferri gypsy jazz style guitar.

Didn't actually sell it, gave it to a guy who was scrounging through the garbage cans in front of my building.

It was a fun guitar to have but anything that hampered my escape from New York had to go.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 AM

Gibson SG '61 re-issue. My parents bought it for me when I was a teenager with inheritance from my grandmother. But I was a stupid kid who didn't know the value of money and I sold/traded it in for a Gibson Explorer that was absolute garbage. Makes me want to kick myself now just thinking about it.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
We sell guitars?!?!? I thought we kept them all, he (or she) who dies with the most guitars wins!!! Was I told wrong???

Some people are clearly crazy...[emoji23]
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-26-2020, 10:31 AM

I bought a Santa Cruz OM/PW twenty years ago and sold it after seven years. It was my favorite guitar of all time. I bought and sold many since then including other OM/PWs but nothing sounded like that one. I still scratch my head as I try and remember what drove me to sell it
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Guild F-30 sunburst of 1973...
Old 01-26-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Guild F-30 sunburst of 1973...
Oof, a very John Hurt guitar....I rarely see a F-30 in shops, but always play it and usually love it when I do!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
I bought a Santa Cruz OM/PW twenty years ago and sold it after seven years. It was my favorite guitar of all time. I bought and sold many since then including other OM/PWs but nothing sounded like that one. I still scratch my head as I try and remember what drove me to sell it
I do wonder why! I suppose you needed the money. Sometimes that’s just the way it is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion