The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM

Default question for condo dwellers

I'm looking at condos right now,but I have a question for you all that live in one.
Does your guitar playing bother your neighbors?
Thanks for your answers in advance
Dave
Old 01-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
I'm looking at condos right now,but I have a question for you all that live in one.
Dave
No, but then I don't amplify my acoustic guitar. I don't really understand why anybody playing at home would do that. To me, an acoustic guitar sounds best - acoustically. I also have a nice digital piano, and usually use headphones with it.

A lot will depend on how loud you play and how well built your condo is. Generally, condos that are converted apartment buildings will not have walls that prevent noise from bothering your neighbors. Not that condos built as condos will, but they will usually be much better.

Having been board president for many years, and on the board for the rest of the 30+ years we have lived in our condo, I can say that any friction in the association usually stems from folks not considering the impact their actions (whatever these actions may be) have on their neighbors. Simple things such as keeping their TV or stereo to a reasonable level, not stomping around in consideration of the people who live below you, and a variety of other small things that can add up, are really not difficult to do if one is considerate of neighbors.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Dave
Hi D-yo

Our son used to build condos and TownHomes, and I've seen them when they are being framed out, and there is no bulk-head between units. If you are in the middle, you are going to get neighbor's noise from both sides (and maybe from across the hall).

We are retired and because of our music bought a home with extra space rather than go the condo/townhome route.

Our son played on the balcony in summer/fall/spring. But it was Colorado so he didn't get to go out on the balcony year round.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-19-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi D-yo

Our son used to build condos and TownHomes, and I've seen them when they are being framed out, and there is no bulk-head between units. If you are in the middle, you are going to get neighbor's noise from both sides (and maybe from across the hall).

We are retired and because of our music bought a home with extra space rather than go the condo/townhome route.

Our son played on the balcony in summer/fall/spring. But it was Colorado so he didn't get to go out on the balcony year round.

There is bulk between the walls in ours. I have seen the building blue prints. Maybe they build them better in colder climates? To hear a neighbor in our building, s/he would have to have the TV turned up rather loud. In apartments I have lived, you could hear everything through the walls.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-19-2020, 09:54 PM

I've lived in an apartment building for the past 15 years. I don't crank my electric guitar amp (I also put it on an amp stand, to reduce the sound from transmitting through the floor), and I play my acoustics unplugged. I also typically don't play past 10 pm, or in the wee hours of the morning (I get up for work at 4:30 am, and have once in a blue moon, the urge to play guitar before I leave for work).
Old 01-19-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
I've lived in an apartment building for the past 15 years. I don't crank my electric guitar amp (I also put it on an amp stand, to reduce the sound from transmitting through the floor), and I play my acoustics unplugged. I also typically don't play past 10 pm, or in the wee hours of the morning (I get up for work at 4:30 am, and have once in a blue moon, the urge to play guitar before I leave for work).
Sounds pretty much like me, sans waking up for work that early. Electric amps are all on stands and I do my best to not turn them too loud unless I know the people below me aren’t home (only four units in my building). If I play acoustic past 10pm or so it’s always without a pick. My building is pretty old so sound insulation isn’t good, but I’ve never received a guitar related complaint. When you move into your new condo it might not be a bad idea to introduce yourself to the surrounding units and let them know they’ll be getting free performances every so often.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 PM

"Condos" and "apartments", like guitars, are not created equal. I live in a high-rise and you can't hear anything from any direction. We have a grand piano as well and no one can hear that unless they're standing immediately outside the door while it's being played. And then very little. You need to check out the building(s) you are considering. Spend as much time there - during times of heavy foot-traffic in the hallways and in the evening when everyone's at home to see what you can hear and if it concerns you.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

I have been playing my acoustic guitars and singing in my condo for twenty years. I have a bedroom that is my play room. I record and play and sing plus make my sculptures. My play room has a double stairway between my room and the neighbors wall. We don't have neighbors on the other side. My neighbor asked me once if I play the guitar. I was shocked that he could her it. So I asked him if it bothered him. He said no. He can only hear it early in the morning when it's real quit.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
"Condos" and "apartments", like guitars, are not created equal. I live in a high-rise and you can't hear anything from any direction. We have a grand piano as well and no one can hear that unless they're standing immediately outside the door while it's being played. And then very little. You need to check out the building(s) you are considering. Spend as much time there - during times of heavy foot-traffic in the hallways and in the evening when everyone's at home to see what you can hear and if it concerns you.
Thank you. That has been my experience when we were looking for a condo. The advice we got to not buy a condo that was a converted apartment building, but built right from the start as a quality condo building, also served us well.

Another piece of advice (this in the Star Tribune newspaper) was that if you want privacy, get a corner unit on the top floor. We got that condo, but read the advice well after having done so. It has proven to also be true. I never liked the sound of people walking around above me when living in an apartment, so I certainly wouldn't want that in a condo I intended to live in for a long time. Being on the board for so long, we hear various complaints. There are always a few individuals who are constant complainers, and I suspect would be in any living situation. Rarely have I heard complaints about hearing people who live above thee complainers, so I assume that isn't as much of a problem in our building as it can be in some. Regardless of how well a building a is built, it is always good policy to be considerate of neighbors.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 AM

There's a woman in my condo that says she hears my playing all the time and it really bothers her.

She's threatening to divorce me....
Old 01-20-2020, 06:21 AM

I think you meant to ask the group over at the "200W Plexi Forum"
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 AM

Been living in a condo for ten years. I never hear my neighbors and they don't hear me, I asked. Then again it's just me playing my acoustic.

One of the things I like about mine is units on both sides. Great insulation.
Keeps the electrical bills low.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
There's a woman in my condo that says she hears my playing all the time and it really bothers her.

She's threatening to divorce me....
Ha! Good one!!

LarryK.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Spent 25 years in a Co-op that was built in the mid 40s. On occasion I would hear some music coming from across the way but it was subtle and never bothered me. And my neighbors never complained when I played my guitar, even if it was late/early. I did always worn them when I had a gathering, some of them would stop by.

Best to ask
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
^^^ This ^^^. Depending on building codes and each specific application, they can vary greatly with regard to what you can and cannot hear.
Design also plays a part; I have a friend who recently selected a unit (with cement floors) that was on the end with an external stairwell on the other side - she can't hear anything and presumably cannot be heard.
She also paid a premium for said location - having worked in the construction trades some years ago (electrician), that layout was interesting to me - the best I can surmise is that it was done that way so that certain units would be more isolated and thus command a bit higher price.
There are also some multi-story layouts that put a garage between units; that helps and you're pretty much golden on the first floor, especially on the end ...

~ Paul

Last edited by Ludere; 01-20-2020 at 07:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion