The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2019, 02:50 PM

Smile Marshall AS5OD aux input

Hi - total newbie here in every sense (from the UK.)

After two days of reading a gazillion reviews and discussions on here for small amps with line out capabilities for acoustic and vocals and melting my brain I've narrowed down my choice and am on the verge of buying a Marshall AS50D. It's for small pub sets (with me singing and my mate on guitar to around 30-50 people max I think but line out gives flexibility) and also my living room where I can mess about myself. Had also looked at the Fishman Mini and a shop soiled (and also apparently really unfashionable!?) Roland ac60. I'm already stretching my budget to buy this and will have to get the mic next pay day so can't stretch to Bose etc.

My question is about the aux input on the Marshall. On one of the discussions I read it seemed to suggest you couldn't run a backing track on the front RCA input at the same time as both using the mic and guitar channels. Although not my primary purpose for buying I would like to do all three simultaneously as I get quite experimental at home and would like to try making some of my own backing tracks on my PC to sing and play to.

If anyone could please shed a bit of light on the matter I'd be really grateful as my head hurts with all of the options to consider.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:09 PM

I actually own one of these. Let me pull it out and see if I can do all three at the same time.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Jill View Post
Hi - total newbie here in every sense (from the UK.)

After two days of reading a gazillion reviews and discussions on here for small amps with line out capabilities for acoustic and vocals and melting my brain I've narrowed down my choice and am on the verge of buying a Marshall AS50D. It's for small pub sets (with me singing and my mate on guitar to around 30-50 people max I think but line out gives flexibility) and also my living room where I can mess about myself. Had also looked at the Fishman Mini and a shop soiled (and also apparently really unfashionable!?) Roland ac60. I'm already stretching my budget to buy this and will have to get the mic next pay day so can't stretch to Bose etc.

My question is about the aux input on the Marshall. On one of the discussions I read it seemed to suggest you couldn't run a backing track on the front RCA input at the same time as both using the mic and guitar channels. Although not my primary purpose for buying I would like to do all three simultaneously as I get quite experimental at home and would like to try making some of my own backing tracks on my PC to sing and play to.

If anyone could please shed a bit of light on the matter I'd be really grateful as my head hurts with all of the options to consider.
well I finally found an auxiliary to RCA and was able to run actually flight of the bumblebees the first thing that I found I ran that microphone on the same channel and then ran the guitar on channel one and I was getting tone and sound out of all of them without any cutting over the top of the other so they're all working in tandem. I love this app. I've had it for 12 or 13 years I got it when I was a guitar tech and it is the cool little piece of equipment for busking, and pubs, and solo gigs. And I actually also if I'm in a pinch and I don't trust the guy at the board I will eat you everything and set all my levels myself and almost use it like a preamp to the board
Old 12-29-2019, 02:54 AM

That was really kind of you to go to the trouble of doing that so thank you very much!

Looks like I'll be the proud owner of a Marshall in the coming week then (just as well I've been lifting kettle bell weights!) My mate (he's my former guitar tutor) and I had our first gig to around 30 people last Monday using someone else's amp and it went amazingly well. I hadn't performed live for around 10 yrs and it felt just like coming home. We've been asked to go back and two more people asked for our details so we want to strike while the iron is hot. Singing with the amp was a revelation and I really enjoyed using the mic as a tool for expression so want to improve my skills there.

Thanks again for finding that out - it's very much appreciated.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:00 AM

Editing duplicated post here. No idea why that happened.

Last edited by Magic Jill; 12-29-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Jill View Post
That was really kind of you to go to the trouble of doing that so thank you very much!

Looks like I'll be the proud owner of a Marshall in the coming week then (just as well I've been lifting kettle bell weights!) My mate (he's my former guitar tutor) and I had our first gig to around 30 people last Monday using someone else's amp and it went amazingly well. I hadn't performed live for around 10 yrs and it felt just like coming home. We've been asked to go back and two more people asked for our details so we want to strike while the iron is hot. Singing with the amp was a revelation and I really enjoyed using the mic as a tool for expression so want to improve my skills there.

Thanks again for finding that out - it's very much appreciated.
Glad to help. Enjoy the amp. She s been a steady little performer for me for a looong time
Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM

Will do. Excited now. Thanks again. 😊

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification