The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-24-2019, 04:19 AM

Default Pick Up for Martin GPRS1

I purchased a Martin GPRS1 last year which came with a Fishman Sonitone. The all Mahogany guitar sounds great unplugged, but the Sonitone does not do it any favors. I tried switching it out with a Baggs Anthem SL that I removed from another guitar, but I just don’t like the sound. I can’t seem to get the adjustment to my liking. The dark tones from the mahogany require the mic blend to be turned up close to full, but the handling noise/string noise is not good.

You guys have any recommendations for an all mahogany guitar? Most of the time I use this guitar for finger picking, but occasionally I strum. It’s my favorite guitar to play, but I hate the sound plugged in. Any help would me be much appreciated. I would like to tinker with this during the downtime over the holidays.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:55 AM

I'm a SBT - guy like many here at AGF, so for great sound and ease of installation I would recommend a Schatten HFN. If you want to go the extra mile, a Dazzo/ Sunnaudio combo is hard to beat.
If you want to stay UST, Highlander could be an option.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to the OP for posting, and thanks for the response (would love to see more too). This has been my quest for a long time. Love the guitar, hate the factory pickup. I'm a bit opposite than the OP, strumming most of the time, but maybe 15% of my favorite songs are fingerpicking deals.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting, and thanks for the response (would love to see more too). This has been my quest for a long time. Love the guitar, hate the factory pickup. I'm a bit opposite than the OP, strumming most of the time, but maybe 15% of my favorite songs are fingerpicking deals.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
So far I have tried Baggs Anthem SL, Baggs M1, Fishman thinline (passive) and of course the factory Fishman Sonitone. The M1 was probably the best result so far. SBT is really all that is left. I tried a K & K in another guitar and it was really heavy in the midrange area. Since this guitar (all mahogany) is already pretty heavy in the midramge, I am afraid a SBT might be really over pronounced in the midrange. I don't have any experience with the HFN but given its ease of installation and the fact that it can be removed easily, I might give it a shot.

Does anyone know if there is much difference in an M1 and the Baggs M80?

Merry Christmas to you guys!
Old 12-24-2019, 05:48 PM

I find the M80 to be much better than the M1 which was very sensitive to pick strikes. But I've used the M80 in mohogany guitars with great success. In my Martin 000-15M I use a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with PB strings or a Dimarzio Back Angel with Martin Retro monel strings.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 12-24-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
I find the M80 to be much better than the M1 which was very sensitive to pick strikes. But I've used the M80 in mohogany guitars with great success. In my Martin 000-15M I use a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with PB strings or a Dimarzio Back Angel with Martin Retro monel strings.
Thank you Paulin. I was thinking about giving the Black Angel a try. Good to know about the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification