The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Indeed. I ordered one on Black Friday with 25% off. She came without a leg...
So she came with 25% off?
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-11-2019, 09:29 PM

UPDATE: Spoke with the closest Martin Service Center this afternoon and he is going to set up a time within the next couple of weeks for me to bring the guitar over. Probably looking at a few weeks from now; if that, to resolve any issues! I feel better!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
UPDATE: Spoke with the closest Martin Service Center this afternoon and he is going to set up a time within the next couple of weeks for me to bring the guitar over. Probably looking at a few weeks from now; if that, to resolve any issues! I feel better!

Jim
Did you ever try to go back to the dealer?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Call the dealer right away. Arrange to send it back to the dealer and get a replacement (one without issues).
This. The OP didn't buy the guitar from Martin, he/she bought it from a dealer who obviously sold a guitar that has become dry and has issues due to that. Martin will repair the guitar if it needs repair but more importantly, the dealer should exchange the guitar for the OP - since it sounds like a new-guitar purchase. Martin told him to get it to an authorized repair shop for attention which is why they have authorized repair shops.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post

Jim
I don't get it.

If i bought an off-smelling pint of milk from my local shop, I'd be taking it back there for a swap, not traveling miles out of town to wave it at an astonished dairy farmer. It might have left Martin fine and the dealer you bought it from might have dropped it or stood on it. Either way, they sold it to you, their problem. Just take/send it back there for a new one.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
If i bought an off-smelling pint of milk from my local shop, I'd be taking it back there for a swap, not traveling miles out of town to wave it at an astonished dairy farmer.
What a picture! You have a way with words.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
What a picture! You have a way with words.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RalphH
“If I bought an off-smelling pint of milk from my local shop, I'd be taking it back there for a swap, not traveling miles out of town to wave it at an astonished dairy farmer.“

I too enjoyed the imagery of this.
Hey Ralph, do you write songs?

And to the OP,
not that it matters much I guess cuz the OP appears to be satisfied for the moment with the option to take it to Authorized Repair,
I too would lean toward the return/replacement option.
I hope this works out to his satisfaction and he keeps us all informed.

And I hope RalphH posts again soon.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
No, not really, this isn't the first time I've read stories like this. Unless those are all fabrications, my opinion is what it is. you absolutely don't have to agree, but I'll never buy one of their guitars.
Yep, you've heard numerous times that Martin has a long repair wait list. I'd tell you the same thing.

That's why you find a good Authorized Repair Center that will work with you, likely at a better return time frame.
No reason to hold that against Martin; as mentioned, they are not truly set up to repair as well as they produce.

I'll repeat you have a prejudice against Martin. It's fine; as many times as I've tried to like Taylors, I hate 'em. They'd have to knock one out of the park for me to even pick one up.
This is why there are many manufacturers, and especially small luthiers, who can tailor your purchase to your needs and expectations. Makes the musical world go 'round.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Call Bryan Kimsey. Send it to him. He will fix it just fine and right. And you will have it back in short order.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Originally Posted by RalphH
“If I bought an off-smelling pint of milk from my local shop, I'd be taking it back there for a swap, not traveling miles out of town to wave it at an astonished dairy farmer.“

I too enjoyed the imagery of this.
Hey Ralph, do you write songs?
LOL, no I don't. I'd really like to, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start. I think I'd probably find it easiest to write comical songs if I did though. Probably something like Flight of the Conchords but mainly focused around being a parent rather than being a single guy.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-13-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I've been thru the Martin tour twice and yes...they do have a room full of guitars sent in for repair. My buddy sent his old D-28 in for a refret and have the finish and fretboard cleaned up and when it came back ( after 5 months) it looked like a brand new guitar...really I was surprised how nice it came out.. LIKE NEW...period..amazing...
Back in the day that would have been because Martin oversprayed guitars before they were returned home. Now they just give them a good buffing.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Indeed. I ordered one on Black Friday with 25% off. She came without a leg...
But what a relief to know you could buy her a ticket back to her country of origin and return her, only to be out several more dollars and a broken heart!

What a deal!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

My experience with Martin has soured me on their guitars forever. My 2017 000-18 was bad from the get go but LA Guitars refused to take it back. It went to an authorized tech who informed me that I had to send it back to the factory on my dime (actually $147). Martin reset the neck and sent it back. It lasted for about six months and again needed a neck reset. Martin had the tech go through all kinds of gyrations to prove the guitar wasn't abused or subjected to any bad environmental conditions (it wasn't and hadn't) and after all that he had to send it back to Martin who is now again resetting the neck. I've owned the guitar for over two years and have had only a few months playing time with it.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
My experience with Martin has soured me on their guitars forever. My 2017 000-18 was bad from the get go but LA Guitars refused to take it back. It went to an authorized tech who informed me that I had to send it back to the factory on my dime (actually $147). Martin reset the neck and sent it back. It lasted for about six months and again needed a neck reset. Martin had the tech go through all kinds of gyrations to prove the guitar wasn't abused or subjected to any bad environmental conditions (it wasn't and hadn't) and after all that he had to send it back to Martin who is now again resetting the neck. I've owned the guitar for over two years and have had only a few months playing time with it.
Time to sell it and get a Gibson. Kidding. Or am I? I’ve been around long enough to know that this can happen anywhere. Not just in isolated instances.

But...Honestly, that’s ridiculous. I’d feel the same way. It seems that businesses, restaurants, and many other industries have taken the “I’m doing you a favor to serve, help, wait on you” approach. I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to actually have a good experience. Not that it doesn’t happen, but it seems to happen far less then it used to. Of course there are always exceptions.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion