The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Justonwo SBAIC 2016 Journal

I had an absolute blast over the 3 days of the SBAIC. I played tons of guitars and got to hang out with luthiers, forumites, and old friends. I had the great pleasure of having dinner and drinks with guys like Leo Buendia, Michael Bashkin, Mike Baranik, and Jason Kostal. I had a chance to meet diamonddave and J.R. (finally). It was a blast. The venue itself was a bit noisy compared to Healdsburg, and it was harder to find quiet places to play the guitars, but it was still worth the trip.

I did not get as many photos as I had hoped, as I was busy playing and meeting new people, but I'll post what I have.

I helped Mike Baranik at his table most of the weekend. Mike brought some of the most incredible guitars of the show, as per usual.

Here's an adi/chechem 00 that I probably put 3-4 hours on over the course of the show. Simply stunning in all regards.

This beauty is Mike's #200, with Lucky Strike and Brazilian rosewood. This guitar garnered A LOT of attention at the show. Lot surprisingly, this guitar sold on the first day.

Here's Mike with his Retreaux Parlor (which sold), looking very much like he wanted to be photographed.

Here's a blue spruce and imbuya OM that also received some very high praise from a number of people.

Here's Leo Buendia before the show. I was very taken by his two breathtaking OMs at the show. Huge bass and great voice. Two of my very favorite at the show. The indian rosewood OM was one I kept coming back to.

Jason preparing for the show. It was great to get to play such a huge selection of Kostals. The MDW was my personal favorite, with his signature big bass tone but a more focused and present high end that I found very satisfying. It was a unique opportunity to play pretty much one of each.

I had the great pleasure of finally meeting Howard Klepper, the maker of my beloved Schoenberg 000-12. I was really taken by his personal guitar on the far left. That re-topped Martin was also magnificent. Howard was a true gentleman.

These two Caldwells sounded as good as the look!

Old 10-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

It was great fun seeing Bruce, as usual. His pear parlor was ridiculously nice. We also had an impromptu jam, with Bruce soloing over my fingerstyle. Fantastic!

I enjoyed getting to hang out with Laurent Brondel for the first time in a few years. His guitars were/are stunning in every way. Here's Tony McManus giving some attendees a concert.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I was totally floored by Burton LeGeyt's work. Quite possibly 2 of the best guitars at the whole show. The mahogany guitar on the right really blew me away, with great volume, projection, and a wonderful vintage voice. Burton is doing some wonderful vintage styling.

Here's Joel Michaud hamming it up. I was VERY impressed by his work, particularly his larger OM. The Purple Pattis was shockingly great with its 24" scale length, and played and sounded very much like a classical guitar. The parlor was glorious. Fantastic tone, playability, and workmanship.

One of my favorite tables - Schoenberg. Bruce's 000-12 really impressed. No surprise there.

Michael Bashkin's work, as per usual, blew me away. He had an indian rosewood OM that sounded huge and glorious. That was another show favorite.

I didn't get a chance to photograph Ted Astrand's OM, but it was beautiful both in tone and workmanship. I was very impressed.

Last edited by justonwo; 10-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Juston...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

This is great, thank you for posting.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Thoroughly enjoyable, thank you for posting these.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
<<snip>>

Here's Joel Michaud hamming it up. I was VERY impressed by his work, particularly his larger OM. The Purple Pattis was shockingly great with its 24" scale length, and played and sounded very much like a classical guitar. The parlor was glorious. Fantastic tone, playability, and workmanship.

<<snip>>

"Shockingly great" ~ now I like the sound of *that*...!!!

Thanks for this report.

One of several emails I received from Joel over the weekend stated:

Quote:
Let's just say.... all of a sudden people like 24" scales
My experience has been (at several of these shows) that when you couple the 24" scale with a well-made guitar the results are rather impressive...and if you just tell people "it's a short scale" and don't tell them the 24", they simply say that the guitar feels great, and that it's "super-playable".

I have seen this with Joel's guitar now (as per Joel's reports!), and also three other builders' guitars including the several Simon Fay OM-sized instruments with the 24" scale.

I should have the guitar by late afternoon/early evening, today!

I'm jazzed.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
"Shockingly great" ~ now I like the sound of *that*...!!!
Larry,
I played your guitar. It, and the scale was heavenly.

Steve
Old 10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Larry, you are in for a treat. If this guitar doesn't ring your bell, your bell is broken. Ha ha.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Guest316

Thanks Juston, excellent reportand stunning images! Makes me wish I was a "real" guitar player
Old 10-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and I should have mentioned, I played the 2 Pagelli guitars that were on display at the suggestion of my friend, Al da Costa. These were two of the most stunningly beautiful guitars I have ever played. They both sound like a surround-sound system. Exquisite, delicate tone. These aren't guitars I normally would have picked up. I'm so glad Al pointed me in the right direction. They really stand out as some of the most impressive guitars I played at the show - and in fact that I've ever played.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Here's Leo Buendia before the show. I was very taken by his two breathtaking OMs at the show. Huge bass and great voice. Two of my very favorite at the show. The indian rosewood OM was one I kept coming back to.

I've spent some time with that guitar if its the one I'm thinking it is, which is Leo's personal guitar. He has a special love for EIR and Sitka, and it's great together in this one.

Hope I can go next year!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM
*mahoganut*

Thanks Juston! Sorry I missed out...

Phil
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Larry,
I played your guitar. It, and the scale was heavenly.

Steve
Quote:
Larry, you are in for a treat. If this guitar doesn't ring your bell, your bell is broken. Ha ha.
I am on board with all of this!

Guitar due for a roadside pickup around 6 PM...!

The countdown has begun...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-03-2016, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the report and the pics...sorry I wasn't able to make it to this show...I'm waiting to feel a ripple through the force soon as Larry picks up his guitar...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop