The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Default ----------

----------

Last edited by GraceMusik; 05-28-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks Jon, this should be a fun thread! I don't have one of me and Tom Doerr.......YET! I'm sure this will happen at some point in the future. However, we're in touch fairly often and I did a CD of original songs titled OPEN DOERR as a tribute/celebration of the my Legacy which Tom really enjoyed, so the connection with the builder happily remains!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Good idea!

Good idea for a thread, Jon!

@islandguitar--"Open Doerr"--very cool idea and tribute name!

Jon posted the link to my pics with Joel, so I won't duplicate them here. It really is a wonderful experience to form a relationship with your luthier during the build process. Culminating it with picking up your custom guitar in person at their shop (or at a festival) is the icing on the cake!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Neat idea Jon.

If I ever happen to meet Chris Ensor or Ed Bond in person I'd be tempted to some pictures. While I don't have any pictures with them, I am very thankful that I have the lovely guitars they built for me.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM

I hope to see lots of selfies here. There are few things as much fun as building yourself a guitar you really like.

This topic might also fit well in the Build and Repair section.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 PM

----------

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM

OK , I'll go first.

May 2014. Fred Tellier giving me my first custom built with him a Quilted Maple Small Jumbo.I was at his home in Windsor ON. Everything handmade (of course), including delivery !

The second time I drove there was to pick up my baritone, but I was alone and I don't have a selfy stick, so no pictures. Although I have vivid memories about finding and entering the Old Vic Tavern, where I knew Fred and some friends had an Irish gig. I managed to get a good seat, a good beer and listen to the band without having Fred noticing me for quite a while for he was sitting with his back to me. What I didn't know then is that my baritone case was hidden amongst the band's instrument cases near me !

I wish I would live closer to Fred because he is a real friendly man, likes good music, good beer and a great sense of humour.

Did I say thanks for the whisky Fred ?

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Great story--picking up your baritone at an Irish gig seems really appropriate!

Here's my shot when I picked up my BRW Auditorium from Joel, along with my Stehr Myrtlewood that I had brought along for a reunion. It was really a joyous, fun time!

2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 AM

Picture from picking up my Caston Guitar built by Richard Kluttz who is pictured in the background. Richard is in Concord, NC and has been a family friend for many years. The guitar was a multitude of gifts in one and having Richard build it just made it more special.

[IMG]New Guitar by Travis Nesbit, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 AM

----------

Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Okay its not a guitar yet, but... Tom Doerr is an awesome luthier and host.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 PM

I was just going through this thread and seeing so many happy faces of luthiers and owners, I was saddened that I didn't have a similar experience you lucky few had. So I spoke to Joel Michaud and told him about this thread and that one day, we are going to have to have our photo on this thread for sure! And he replied, "Whaa? You don't remember that one time?" I was confused to probed him further because I was positive we've never met before! But as crazy as it seems, he then proceeded to show me photo evidence and it was clear that our paths have crossed before. I was embarrassed I had forgotten about that one time!!

If you guys haven't yet, please check the new Michaud Silent Auction thread where all proceeds go to the Calgary Humane Society for adorable little puppies like me! It's a great chance to get your hands on a Michaud without the long wait while contributing towards a great cause! (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=407799)

I suppose this could go under the thread about what else luthiers make. I'm guessing Joel's is terribly photoshopped photos

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I was just going through this thread and seeing so many happy faces of luthiers and owners, I was saddened that I didn't have a similar experience you lucky few had. So I spoke to Joel Michaud and told him about this thread and that one day, we are going to have to have our photo on this thread for sure! And he replied, "Whaa? You don't remember that one time?" I was confused to probed him further because I was positive we've never met before! But as crazy as it seems, he then proceeded to show me photo evidence and it was clear that our paths have crossed before. I was embarrassed I had forgotten about that one time!!

If you guys haven't yet, please check the new Michaud Silent Auction thread where all proceeds go to the Calgary Humane Society for adorable little puppies like me! It's a great chance to get your hands on a Michaud without the long wait while contributing towards a great cause! (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=407799)

I suppose this could go under the thread about what else luthiers make. I'm guessing Joel's is terribly photoshopped photos
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Joel's face are always priceless, here is one just for you Marcus:

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post

Hah! Too funny Marcus.... and right in line with Joel's wonderful sense of humor!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 AM

----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop