The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Incoming: Sexauer FT-00-JB/2 Kerala

The impetus for this commission with Bruce actually began about 25-years ago after auditioning a Santa Cruz Model H13 in Mandolin Brothers. I was simply astounded by that particular guitar on that day. I knew that luthier Paul Hostetter, then with Santa Cruz took the body concept of an early 1930s Gibson Nick Lucas Special where the optimal lower bout bridge position of a 12-fret guitar was used together with a longer 25.4" scale guitar with 13 frets to the body in a deep, small bodied guitar. They also voiced the instrument more in the CF Martin school than Gibson.

Early Santa Cruz Model H13

Early 1930s 13-Fret Gibson Nick Lucas Special (Deeper Bodied L00)

Move forward 25-years and my playing style had changed to primarily playing solo jazz chord melody. As a result, a cutaway is a must have feature in most of my guitars. I also have come to like shorter 25" scale guitars because they are easier for me to make complex jazz chords with. Also, over the last 5-years I have been fortunate to commission a number of guitars crafted by individual artisan luthiers. I knew that a number of custom luthiers made either Gibson L00 and Nick Lucas Specials, but what I was looking for was not a vintage style instrument nor was I really looking for an H13. I was looking for a custom instrument that would meet my current playing needs yet captured aspects of the guitar that inspired the commission.

I have been aware of Bruce for about a decade now as a builder by reputation but had no direct experience with him other than a few strums of some guitars at Woodstock a year ago. Through this site, I became more aware of two things: 1) his traditional, Spanish, free-form, mold-less construction method that allows him to make most any shape and size of guitar and 2) his unique wood-locker and deep experience of using Pernambuco (Caesalpinia echinata) in guitar construction. These two aspects and the fact that I believe that he is at the zenith of his mastery as a luthier, convinced me that this was the perfect project for Bruce Sexauer.

Aside from Pernambuco's aesthetic properties, some people say it is more balanced and less "glassy" in the trebles, and has a little less tendency to boom in the bass than BRW. It is supposed to have a beautiful, balanced, articulate tone, vibrant in all registers. It is said that clarity, definition, sustain and dynamics are associated with the velocity of sound in wood. Pernambuco has the highest velocity of sound among the tonewoods. So with this old memory of the H13, my more recent playing needs and a desire to see what Pernambuco was capable of in the right luthier's hands; we began this commission.

Bruce was able to examine/trace some vintage 1930s Gibson L00s at Eric Schoenberg's shop to get some body measurements. Bruce actually found it to be quite similar to some of his 12-fret 00 body shapes (it's about 14-3/4" at the lower bout). We talked a bit about his multi-scale approach and decided that having the sweetness and easier grip reach in the trebles combined with more stridency and power in the bass. So decided on a 25" to 25-1/4" scale, 13-frets to the body with a bridge located in the belly of the lower bout like a 12-fret instrument. In terms of body depth, Bruce decided NOT to go as deep as a NL or Model H13 to control the balance of the timbre and targeted a depth of 3-3/8" at the neck block and 4-5/16" at the end block with a 1/4" Manzer wedge. We also added a sound port to the upper bout.

Bruce used a set of extremely stiff German spruce that Martin Guhl said had been seasoned for 30-years. Not AAA by today's aesthetic standards, showing dark compression grain (more likely A or AA). But it had tremendous cross grain stiffness and rang like a bell when tapped. He matched this up with some glassy, beautifully quartersawn Pernambuco from his wood locker showing just a touch of rift at the outer edges of the lower bout. I was fortunate that Bruce happened to a set of Keith Robson tuners in his shop that had arrived too late for a past commission.

Without further adieu, I present Bruce's modern take on a Gibson L00 body style with his signature styled cutaway, pickguard and headstock, a soundport, Manzer wedge, 1/4" multi-scale, Sexauer voiced made from some of the most resonant woods in the forrest. I couldn't be happier with the result visually and the collaborative process of working together with Bruce on this commission over the last few months. The build of the guitar can be seen in these two Sexauer build threads:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...335992&page=22
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=358391

Kudos Bruce...

What's not to like? All that's left is to play it (hopefully this weekend).

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 11-11-2014 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Correction on spruce
Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Really spectacular. One of these days I'm going to have to play a Sexauer pernambuco guitar. Congratulations.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Seems like a wonderful guitar. I really enjoyed watching its build thread. Enjoy!, and I'd sure appreciate a follow up review after you've had it a few months.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 AM

I hope this is as perfect in sound and feel as it is in looks. Really fabulous looking.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I hope this is as perfect in sound and feel as it is in looks. Really fabulous looking.
Speaking of sound...Hey iim7V7IM7...

How about some sound clips from these great custom builds you have had completed in the last couple of months.

You have that superb looking Chasson, and now this handsome Sexauer, and you have teased us with highly detailed and expressive descriptions of both guitars, and excellent pictures to boot...but...you've not let us hear them.

We've had lovely words, and lovely pictures...time for some lovely music...yes???

Best Regards
duff
Old 11-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Guitars are 2014 project and some home recording is on my list for 2015 (condenser mics and audio interface). Once I set this up, I will produce some samples with each instrument.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Case arrived, Guitar is shipped

Jeff Hoffee's case arrived today so the guitar is in transit...

Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Got a chance to check this one out at Bruces shop the other day - it is a magnificent guitar, great size, materials, build details - just fantastic. Congrats!!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for taking the time to post your observations and encouraging comments. I wish that I was closer than 3,000 miles from Petaluma. There are quite a number of guitars currently at his shop that would be great to audition (one of the World's great guitar stores)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Got a chance to check this one out at Bruces shop the other day - it is a magnificent guitar, great size, materials, build details - just fantastic. Congrats!!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Favorite image yet!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:09 PM

This looks fantastic. Enjoy it.

I think this is the first time I have noticed Bruce using an asymmetrical headstock. I like it. Bruce should use this one more often.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Bruce has been using this style of asymmetric headstock for nearly a decade now. You'll find it on many of his JB multi-scale guitars if you explore his list of guitars on his website. I also really like the headstock design along with his signature cutaway and pickguard designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbolaya View Post
This looks fantastic. Enjoy it.

I think this is the first time I have noticed Bruce using an asymmetrical headstock. I like it. Bruce should use this one more often.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Default update

Old 11-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I've played a large number of Bruce's guitars, I think in excess of 10. They are all exceptional. I'm sure you will be very pleased with this one.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default first hour in...

I have really only spent about an hour or so with it but let me cut to the chase. To no one's surprise, this is a FANTASTIC GUITAR that is difficult to put down. I will provide more detail once I have played it a bit more this weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop