The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM

I guess I started all this but I could really care less who posts. I am used to the only wood guys. Really could care less about them really. It really surprises me how far away from wood I have come. Just holding some off these higher end carbons, just feel so right. It is the sound but it is also the idea that the will never change. And the newer designs are breathtaking really. I find it in the people that come up after I play with disbelief. People that don't know guitars but know what looks amazing. I really look at wood now as the frail past. No interest at all for me. Me who 10 years ago would have killed for a koa J100.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM

If you don't want answers, don't ask questions.

I am interested in plastic guitars. The technology fascinates me. I hope it will produce an instrument that I like the sound of enough to own. So far it hasn't.

I'm sorry if that affects your self image.

Ed
Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
I am interested in plastic guitars. The technology fascinates me. I hope it will produce an instrument that I like the sound of enough to own. So far it hasn't.
Which carbon fiber guitars have you tried? Just curious.

Quote:
If you don't want answers, don't ask questions.
Is it unreasonable to expect that people wouldn’t answer a question that doesn’t apply to them? In reality, I guess it is unreasonable for me to expect that in this day and age (and, of course, I didn’t even ask the question)...

Quote:
I'm sorry if that affects your self image.
Huh? Really don’t understand this comment. Whose self image and why would your opinion affect anyone’s self image?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Which carbon fiber guitars have you tried? Just curious.

Is it unreasonable to expect that people wouldn’t answer a question that doesn’t apply to them? In reality, I guess it is unreasonable for me to expect that in this day and age (and, of course, I didn’t even ask the question)...

Huh? Really don’t understand this comment. Whose self image and why would your opinion affect anyone’s self image?
Pay attention.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 PM

The topic title "Has CF ruined you for wood guitars" implies that you have played both and have made a decision one way or another.

Disliking CF guitars is fine, and explaining that opinion is valid, but when the user posted said "NO" simply because of the looks of the guitar, he did not, in my mind have a valid reason to reply to the thread as he has not played one.

Moving on,
The only CF guitar I have played was a cargo, and I wasn't entirely impressed. I do want to try it again as I want to like it for travel sake. No dealers around here have Rainsongs or Emeralds, so I won't be trying others out any time soon.

I doubt I'd ever change over to them though, simply because the sound I want is from a Larrivee - that balanced tone is just what I look for. ...Maybe if Larrivee starts making CF guitars ... *ponders*
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=Moving on,
The only CF guitar I have played was a cargo, and I wasn't entirely impressed. I do want to try it again as I want to like it for travel sake. No dealers around here have Rainsongs or Emeralds, so I won't be trying others out any time soon.

I doubt I'd ever change over to them though, simply because the sound I want is from a Larrivee - that balanced tone is just what I look for. ...Maybe if Larrivee starts making CF guitars ... *ponders*[/QUOTE]

I really believe the travel guitar has been a two edge sword for Carbon Guitar makers. It does create sales because a carbon travel guitar makes such sense given its indestructibility. And most enter the Carbon market here also because of price and assume this is it, this is what carbon sounds like. I have two large and yes high end carbons. They sound wonderful. I have tried all the travel guitars out there and their sound pales in comparison. Reality is the materials to build a carbon are much more expensive than most wood. You are not going to get a truely good Carbon that is inexpensive, most may never experience it, but many may think that they have.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-03-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Bear in mind that if a person tried a CF travel guitar such as a Cargo, it is likely that the store also has other models, and possibly by a variety of makers. Therefore, it is at least possible that the person could well have tried the larger instruments too. Though I settled on the Cargo even after playig the larger instruments, my choice was for somewhat unique reasons which I have explained in other posts at other times. I have no expectations that others will share my perspective. When these sorts of discussions come up, it almost feels like a "circle the wagons, here come the non-believers" especially when I read comments alluding to "growing our numbers". Why not just enjoy the choices we individuallly have made and let others do likewise? If somebody chooses to not get into CF guitars, it doesn't bother me in the least. I make my choices and leave plenty of room for others to do likewise.
Tonyy
Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

At the time I bought my Cargo in Mar. '08, my Baby Taylor had just gotten destroyed while I was vacationing (in the end, I'm glad it happened). I wanted another travel guitar and had been following the hoopla about the Cargo in the preceding months after its release. I ordered a Cargo and received it while still on the road, and was so impressed with it for the purpose I needed it, my view became that if this little thing can sound this good, then the evolution of CF guitars is worth following and trying whenever possible.

Six months later, I took another leap of faith and ordered the GXi. I was not not disappointed. It is another unique sound among guitars that has a place in the broad guitar tonal palette. I believe this holds true for CF guitars in general. Then there's the obvious low maintenance reasons for owning one. My two CAs are the only CF guitars I've tried, but they have opened up my receptiveness to trying others and to that end, my latest GAS attack in wanting an Emerald 6/12 doubleneck. I hope to pull the trigger on that very soon. Wood has, and always will have it's place for me, 'tho there are none I really lust for. My Taylor 814ce fits my wood need just fine.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-03-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Blame Steve for that latest round of GAS! He has sure raised awareness of what Alistair can do in that department.
Tony
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Blame Steve for that latest round of GAS! He has sure raised awareness of what Alistair can do in that department.
Tony
Ya got that right, Tony!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 AM

To say that one would forsake wood guitars entirely is kind of silly. That's like saying, " I'm only going to eat pepperoni pizza for the rest of my life." Guitars have a voice and each one a different one. CF are great. Try to get a good slide tone out of it. It might sound okay, but a little Martin would sound much better or a resonator. To say that you would only play CF acoustics is ludicrous. I love mine.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Ludicrous is kind of tuff! I guess my simple point is I am more than willing to give up a nuance of tone for indestructibility and never having any structural issues, a setup that never changes etc.: I have no issues at all with the wood choice, but I don't see my thought as ludicrous, if you like your CF guitars tone. LOL.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I really believe the travel guitar has been a two edge sword for Carbon Guitar makers. It does create sales because a carbon travel guitar makes such sense given its indestructibility. And most enter the Carbon market here also because of price and assume this is it, this is what carbon sounds like. I have two large and yes high end carbons. They sound wonderful. I have tried all the travel guitars out there and their sound pales in comparison. Reality is the materials to build a carbon are much more expensive than most wood. You are not going to get a truely good Carbon that is inexpensive, most may never experience it, but many may think that they have.
I understand that, which is why I am always open to play everything I can get my hands on. Just based on the size of a travel vs non-travel, I know there would be huge differences in tone and projection and one can't dismiss CF based off of a Cargo (likewise, people dismissing non-wood guitars b/c of ovations). Maybe someday more CF's will penetrate Canada.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymartind35 View Post
To say that one would forsake wood guitars entirely is kind of silly. That's like saying, " I'm only going to eat pepperoni pizza for the rest of my life." Guitars have a voice and each one a different one. CF are great. Try to get a good slide tone out of it. It might sound okay, but a little Martin would sound much better or a resonator. To say that you would only play CF acoustics is ludicrous. I love mine.
Silly and ludicrous are strong terms to apply to other people's tastes and needs. When it comes to steel string acoustic guitars, I only have CF and fully never expect to own a wood model again. Am I silly? Are my choices ludicrous? According to you, yes. In my opinion, no.

I can get all the variety I need from CF guitars. Want a classic dreadnought tone? My CA Vintage Performer handles that just wonderfully. Want a more modern and balanced tone, plus a more comfortable body style? My CA GX has it covered. What about 12-string? My Rainsong JM3000 does a great job. Travel guitar? My CA Cargo takes care of that. I even have a custom Emerald 8-string acoustic bass. Can't imagine that even working in wood.

It is nothing like saying you'll only eat pepperoni pizza for the rest of your life. That truly would be limiting. For many of us, CF manufacturers have more than enough variety to fulfill our wants and needs.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

You all love to argue so much about who should have an opinion. Well, I don't have a CF guitar. I've played several I really liked and found the cost prohibitive. It also wouldn't and won't ruin me for wood guitars. I like the fact that wood changes with the weather. I like the fact that each guitar has its own distinctive voice, which I've found much less true with CF guitars (meaning same model to same model). Aesthetically, I think wood is prettier, and that does make a difference to me.

I can see how you might decide you don't want to mess with wood again. I think that will be true until you find a wood guitar you really love which, if you play them enough, will happen.

I also like the tradition of wood guitars. I admire the discipline, the skills and the talent/craft of building them.

Carbon fiber is an excellent material, and I've played excellent CF guitars. I notice that orchestras haven't moved to many CF violins or other instruments. Part of that is getting to know the individuality and wonders and flaws of what you play, and the work and time it takes. There's some real value in that, I think.

I guess to me saying that CF has ruined me to wood would be like saying pitch correction has ruined me to unprocessed singing. It just isn't and won't be true.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber