The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default February 18 Delivery, to say the least.

I am making an extremely high end mini-dread in Brazilian Rosewood and my last 35 year old German Spruce top for a customer here in the Bay Area, and I am planning to deliver it at my concert with fellow AGF denizen Larry Clyman on February 18 at Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, Ca. This will be no ordinary concert either. It will be a reunion of Sexauer guitars, if all goes as planned. There are quite a few of them in Northern California, so I m inviting their owners to bring them to the concert by offering a $5 rebate at the door and a promise that Larry and/or I will play their guitar from the stage in the concert. I think it'll be very interesting to compare the various instruments in the environment the were intended to inhabit. If this sounds like fun to you, call Eric's shop for tickets and information. There are only 35 seats, and we are reserving 10 for Sexauer owners. All the proceeds will go to Larry to defray his airfare; he's coming out from New York State for this!

I have never made a delivery in public before, but my confidence is high that this guitar will be up to snuff. The BRW is the best flitch matched set I had on hand when the customer ordered the guitar, and we paired it with my very last set of the fabled "Old German" I acquired many years ago from a retired/deceased luthier in Southern California. And then there's the conservative bling factor; very high on this guitar. Not just the abalone purfling, but the bird array in the fingerboard will be special and in abalone as well. Not to mention Graf Tuners and a Hoffee Carbon case. OK, so I mentioned them.

But wait, there's more! Along side of this fancy machine I am making a speculative guitar I plan to have complete to show at the gig as well. The spec piece is my base model, and will be available to purchase. That can be a bit scary, can't it? This one in Cambodian Rosewood (No upCharge) and Adirondack Spruce (NC), also a 14 fret non-cutaway mini-dread, also in a Hoffee Carbon Case, and will have my first use of the new Schertler tuners. It features my well known standard flamed maple purfling with Snakewood binding.

I'll get some pictures up if I can, but I am leaving for New Zealand in a couple of days, and can only hope I get a chance or 2 to visit the forums while I'm gone. The guitars are both porefilled and sealed as of today, and I expect to do the varnish work on my return, 2/6. No time for anything to go wrong, of course, and it sometimes does.

BRW/German:

I am very proud of this difficult volute treatment:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-20-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: missppellinngg
Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 AM

perfect and very nice details on that volute Bruce! amazing.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM

very nice indeed!!! best of luck with the presentation concert and your sale.
Colossians 3:23

Cort EARTH CUSTOM SHOP SERIES ECCNA for sale or trade

MIM Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster in Translucent red

MIM Blacktop Tele (black on black)

ESP (LTD)EC-401-VF (les paul in flamed honeyburst)

Burner # 9 Hormigo and Carpathian spruce. Amazing! combo of woods and craftsmanship!(not for sale at any price!)
Thank you Paul and Kyle!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
... No time for anything to go wrong, of course, and it sometimes does. ...
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you ... as I know this all too well (especially during finish.)

Great looking guitar, Bruce, I am sure it will meet all expectations. Have a great trip.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have the spec piece caught up in finish (sealed) so here are a couple of pics of that as well. I usually jump to conclusions about this point regarding how good a guitar is coming, based on the quality of the drum the box makes. The BRW box is everything I expect, the Cambodian box is spectacular. It will be very interesting to hear them on stringing. Something to come back from summer in the south for.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Beautiful Bruce. Your work is very inspiring!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Bruce,
Enjoy NZ, its a beautiful country. Looking forward to more news in February.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yummy looking stuff.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have had a good friend loan me his iPad for this adventure, and I have to say I am really enjoying everything about it so far. I am using it this moment! I see myself seeking out wireless hotspots every where just to do some more public typing. I leave today. The weather here is unseasonably wonderful, unlikely to be an improvement down there, though it will likely be warmer. Ought be cold and rainy again by the time I return. And then I'll have to give back the iPad too. Perhaps I'll just stay.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM

hmmm...small dreadnaught...14 fret...snakewood binding... Who'd have thunk it?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Though I'd check in briefly to say what a great time I am having in NZ.

It is simply unbelievable how few vehicles are on the road. Mid day today, Tuesday, on the main road across the country I saw less that one car every five minutes! Since I am driving a sports car and the whole country is a
Twisty windy road, you can only imagine the fun.

This is absolutely the best guitar delivery I have ever done. Possibly the best one anyone has ever done. I give thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Beautiful guitars, Bruce...beautiful country to be visiting...beautiful idea of guitar delivery...there's a theme going here...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It is simply unbelievable how few vehicles are on the road. Mid day today, Tuesday, on the main road across the country I saw less that one car every five minutes! Since I am driving a sports car and the whole country is a
Twisty windy road, you can only imagine the fun.
I only hope that you're staying on the "right" side of the road, as in the left side of the road. I guess one car every 5 minutes keeps the odds pretty good even if the concentration lapses. Enjoy....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM

I can't imagine Bruce being middle of the road...
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Moyle View Post
I can't imagine Bruce being middle of the road...
Now, that's funny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop