The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Gibson LG-2 3/4 - bought one for my 6 year old son last year and things are going great so far!

TL;DR
My son is 6 and he started taking guitar lessons from me when in the fall of 2019. I took him to guitar stores that spring and had him sit with some of the 3/4 size guitars and the classicals to get a feel for how they fit his hands and body. While on a work trip to Atlanta I went to a GC and came across a Gibson LG-2 3/4 with a repaired headstock. It was a good deal but probably overkill for a first guitar. However after playing it and comparing the tone with the other 3/4 size guitars and verifying the neck/body size with what my son had tried, I deliberated for a few days and then ordered it.

My rational:
1) I spend a lot on quality gear for myself and could afford it or sell one of mine to offset. When I was a kid my parents, within their means, did the same for my siblings and me. I'm still very thankful for their investment in me.
2) Music lessons for my kids aren't optional - he'll take lessons until he is 12 and then he can decide if he wants to keep playing. But he will read/understand music. So losing interest or giving up isn't a concern.
3) If he quits at 12 I can resell it and get my money back or use it with one of my other children.
4) If he develops a love for guitar like I did, it can be a lifelong instrument or heirloom for future generations.
5) Every little boy wants to be like his dad. I play a full size LG-2 and his looks just like mine.

I started on guitar lessons at 6 with 3/4 size Yamaha classical guitar. I don't recall the size ever being an issue.
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom EC (2012)
Gibson 1939 J-55 Reissue (2020)
Gibson 1942 Southern Jumbo Reissue (2020)
Gibson 1952 J-185 Reissue (2021)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Either a uke or a 3/4 size guitar. I would suggest staying away from classical guitars simply because the fingerboard is so wide. Chords are much harder for small hands.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM

Uke is the best choice.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Any suggestions for a beginner (1st "real") guitar for a 6 year old ?

Thanks!
I bought my cousin who is 7 a used Martin LX1. He has had it for 4 years. Its still his travel/couch guitar and he is now playing on a Seagull s6 original. The Lx1 has been extremely durable. He had little trouble going from 13s on the Lx1 scale to the 25 inch scale with 12s on the Seagull.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM

The little Yamaha is the ONLY "junior size" guitar I've ever tried that played in tune over the whole neck.

If you're going to go uke, go baritone so the names of all the notes and chords don't change when they go to guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion