The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Gibson HP 415 W owners

Could I get your opinion of your Gibson HP 415 W, the good and the bad. There weren't too many youtube videos to listen to. How does it compare sonically to a J45?
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:12 PM

Less low end rumble than a J-45, and more shimmery highs. Much more comfortable to hold (at least for me) than a J-45. It's a nice versatile guitar that I think could be a great all-rounder acoustic. If you're looking for something that sounds like a J-45 you might be disappointed. If you're looking for a nice guitar--made in North America from sustainable woods--that's comfortable, sounds good, and is at an appealing price point, you might love it.
The Gibson HP series has a neck shape that I love; YMMV.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Thank you CMD612. Thinking there probably aren't too many HP 415 owners out there, comparatively to other guitars that have been around longer.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM

Default 835

I have an HP 835 (same size) and really love the comfort and feel of the guitar, and the tone is delightfully different from the J45 and Dove. The HP series seems a very fine compromise if you want the dreadnought thump and the 000 presence and comfort. The body contour is interesting: the depth is greater in the middle than at the neck/heel and butt!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I've never played one of the Gibson HP series guitars so I can't comment on tone, but I'm not surprised to read that the guys that have them say they're nothing like a J-45. And they really weren't designed to sound like a J-45. From everything I've read they were designed to compete with the more modern voiced guitars like Taylor. Now if you are specifically looking for a J-45 flavored tone but want to spend less money, check out the J-15 line. They are great guitars with tons of old Gibson vibe.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-27-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspe View Post
The body contour is interesting: the depth is greater in the middle than at the neck/heel and butt!
OK, I had to get the tape measure out after I read that! I never realized it before, but yes: the HP 415 is 4 inches at the endpin, 3-5/8" at the neck, and about 4-1/8" in the middle. That is surprising.

I've been wondering what, if anything, the difference is between the HP 415 and the newer J-45 Studio. Similar dimensions, walnut b/s . . . . Are they braced differently? Or maybe it was just a name (and list price) change, like they did from "HP 665" to "Parlor Rosewood?"
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I've never played one of the Gibson HP series guitars so I can't comment on tone, but I'm not surprised to read that the guys that have them say they're nothing like a J-45. And they really weren't designed to sound like a J-45. From everything I've read they were designed to compete with the more modern voiced guitars like Taylor. Now if you are specifically looking for a J-45 flavored tone but want to spend less money, check out the J-15 line. They are great guitars with tons of old Gibson vibe.
I know I have to take youtube recordings with a grain of salt but I got the sense that the HP 415 W had the Gibson thump but with different sounding highs from the walnut back and sides. Found a used one locally at a good price so, since I've been drooling over Gibsons for the last couple years, thought I'd give it a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion