The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
I would look at the Eastmans and Alvarez Masterworks. Both all solid wood and consistently awesome!!
The Alvarez MD60BG sounds like the guitar you’re looking for.

https://youtu.be/3tY0HWjrZS0

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Perez View Post
Any recommendations of online stores that I can find Eastmans?
LA Guitars and The Acoustic Shoppe - great people, strong inventory and competitive pricing.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM

I also have a Martin DRS2 and can testify to its quality and beautiful sound. I can only believe the 10e will be just as good as the “older” DRS2.

A few days ago I restrung my DRS2 with D’Adarrio XT light gauge and I am now getting more tone than ever! And the added benefit of easier-on-my-fingers lighter gauge strings makes it even better!

My point is to experiment with different types and gauges of string on whatever guitar you get.

Good luck in your search.

PJ
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any recommendations of online stores that I can find Eastmans?
Off the top on my head I know LA Guitar Sales has them. And here's a link to their dealer network. Maybe that'll help?

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/dealers

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
My recommendation is go with the Martin. I have had countless guitars trying to get what I thought was a substitute for a Martin and I finally concluded if I wanted a Martin then I would buy a Martin. Don't worry about the richlite fret board it's not an issue. I have had 3 richlite guitars and it was a non issue. The Road series Martin's are head and shoulders above anything in that price range. You can get an eastman Martin copy, but it will never be a Martin. The Gibson wouldn't be bad, but I prefer Martin guitars and I have a J45 but still prefer my Martin over it any day.
Yeah, you know what I'm talking about by the way I described the D10e haha
I faced same thing when I bought the Taylor... Hundreds of guitars that matched quality for less money but the Taylor was the one. Unfortunately in Brazil we don't have access to all of these brands and musical instruments usually costs more than twice the price in US due to import taxes. I would love to try them all, but is not possible.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 PM

And there is always the Seagull S-6
Old 01-21-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
That's is very helpful, thanks
Does it sound good plugged in?
I honestly don't play plugged in. I'm not the best person to ask about electronics and amplified sound. I've read mixed reviews about the pick-up it has, but it didn't play into my purchase. To me it plays well over what I paid ($650 used.)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

''Martin D10e
I mean, when you think about dreadnought, you think about Martin, right?
Is the D10e any good? Should I save more for a D12? Or a Martin from the Xseries do the job for less?''

If you want a Martin, get a Martin. If you call one of our forum sponsors, you can get the D-12e for less than 1000. I've gotten two Martin guitars from Maury's Music. Both have been excellent and I got a beautiful guitar, a great price, and free overnight shipping.

Check out this video comparing the d12 and the d18

You'll get the same great Martin tone from a d-10, but with a d-12 you get and all gloss finish and d18-like appointments.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 AM

Eastman, Eastman, Eastman. If you are wanting to weigh a lower end Martin vs an alternative like Eastman, maybe call a dealer that carries both and have a chat about the pros and cons. Ted at LA Guitar Sales has always been great about having these discussions with me. I saw he has a D-12e and an Eastman E6D in stock, both in the $900-$1100 range. All depends on what you want. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy it.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Depending how stickler you are about the cutaway the Yamaha A3 would be a great pivkup too.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:07 PM

Default Alvarez Yairi

If you can get over the "brand new" thing:

Find a used Alvarez Yairi. Plenty to choose from. All fantastic quality and highly underrated, so your $1000 will go far. For online search purposes: model numbers that start with DY are dreadnoughts.

Hunt wisely and you'll get a boutique quality guitar at a budget price.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Eastman, Eastman, Eastman. If you are wanting to weigh a lower end Martin vs an alternative like Eastman, maybe call a dealer that carries both and have a chat about the pros and cons. Ted at LA Guitar Sales has always been great about having these discussions with me. I saw he has a D-12e and an Eastman E6D in stock, both in the $900-$1100 range. All depends on what you want. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy it.
Man! All of those that recommended Eastman, made me change my mindset completely. I saw the Eastman lineup and now I'm thinking about selling my Taylor and buying an Eastman grand auditorium instead of the dreadnought... Lol
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Eastman E8D

I have a Martin D12e that I really like. I decided that I wanted a rosewood guitar so I found a used Eastman E8D. When I got it I was a bit concerned as to the cosmetic condition. Polished the frets, conditioned the fret board, then went to work on the top and back with scratch remover and polish. Now the guitar looks almost new (built circa 2011) and the sound is fantastic. I'll grant that it does not sound just like a Martin, but it's not a Martin. I will say that it has a much warmer tone than the D12e and just an overall outstanding sound. The best $600 I ever spent on a guitar. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:24 PM

Musicians friend stupid deal of the day is their Martin Custom D for 899. All the good woods and hard case. Unbeatable deal.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Here's a few Guild dreads that might be worth considering. All are under $900. Might be worth seeking them out on youtube and giving them a listen.

Spruce/rosewood

Spruce/hog

All hog 01

All hog 02

Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion