The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarpraz View Post
I agree with some others above that the ones jumping the gun here are not in the right. (Some people on here are) ready to throw the seller under the bus before even hearing if they might've just made a mistake or how they'll remedy the situation. There isn't one of us that hasn't made mistakes.

Now if the seller doesn't handle the situation professionally and it is proven they knew about the issues that's different.
Exactly. It’s too easy to grab our pitchforks and torches to form online lynch mobs howling for blood. While I can understand the giddy, visceral thrill that vicarious indignation can generate, it’s fairest to all involved - and I do mean all involved, including us, the spectators - if a more reasoned approach is followed.

whm
Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Exactly. It’s too easy to grab our pitchforks and torches to form online lynch mobs howling for blood. While I can understand the giddy, visceral thrill that vicarious indignation can generate, it’s fairest to all involved - and I do mean all involved, including us, the spectators - if a more reasoned approach is followed.

whm
Very well spoken.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:27 PM

If you are not happy with the guitar, you should send it back. If the cracks are on either side of the tail block they are most likely in the wood. If the center seam opened and was reglued and cleated then most likely at some point the guitar was in excessively dry conditions.
The seller may feel he represented the guitar accurately - one person's "excellent" is another person's "Poor" It's also possible that some of the damage occurred during shipping.
Asking for a discount has always struck me as bargaining on the price after the sale (if he suggests it , that's different)
A well repaired guitar is as good as a new one for some people, for others it never will be "right"
Old 01-20-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Before jumping the gun, as we tend to do nowadays, I'd call the shop and explain the situation. They may be flabbergasted (waited 4 months to use that) that these issues were not disclosed, and very apologetic.

They may try real hard to make things right. I'd hear them out.

scott
+1. Contact the store and talk to them. I don't think email in this case is as good as a conversation. If they are a reputable dealer then it is possible this slipped through unintentionally.

Let us know how things turn out.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I took the strings off to inspect the inside of the guitar for any cracking and was surprised to find 3 cleats along the center seam. In my opinion that is a relatively major repair that should be disclosed. I also find it hard to believe that the shop would purchase an instrument and perform a neck reset without checking out the inside of the guitar, particularly when they tout their thorough set-ups as a bonus of doing business with them.
In my opinion that is a relatively major shop that should be disclosed.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:03 PM

Return it. They don't deserve your business. Spread the word about their business ethics.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I would return it for a full refund. Lots of reasons for that.

If I had a notion to keep it, I would ask for and speak only to the store owner regarding a proper resolution.

Based on the information provided in this thread, it was not difficult to find out the identity of the seller. I am quite certain I’m not alone in this small effort. Despite their “reputation”, over the course of a few years and a few transactions, I found that about half the online deals I entered with them were unacceptable.

Eventually, having dealt with phone and online reps, I was frustrated enough to cut through to the owner directly. He fixed that particular problem (I shipped the item back for a full refund, on their dime), and that was that.

I have long since ceased to do business with this enterprise. I don’t even look at their website. Too bad really, but there are a lot of other choices and sources out there in a glutted guitar market.

Either they knew, or they didn’t check.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 PM

If a business buys and sells guitars they often don't take the strings off and examine them with a fine tooth comb. If they are willing to take the guitar back without an argument I would consider them to be honest and reputable sellers.
If they are willing to take it back I think bashing the business is not the right thing to do.
Personally I would have contacted them before discussing it on a forum.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

OP initiated the thread by mentioning a neck reset done by the shop selling the instrument to prepare for sale. I’m pretty sure that entails, um, at least slacking the strings a bit, and perhaps a peek “under the hood”.

Forum support of the OP’s original purchase inquiry to the esteemed cognescenti here overwhelmingly mentioned the reputation of the shop as an actual plus in the neck set.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
If a business buys and sells guitars they often don't take the strings off and examine them with a fine tooth comb. If they are willing to take the guitar back without an argument I would consider them to be honest and reputable sellers.
If they are willing to take it back I think bashing the business is not the right thing to do.
Couldn’t agree more -

And personally, I would have talked to them far more about the reason for a neck reset, and any other repairs or issues BEFORE buying it. Most sellers are quite willing to give you an in-hand review and telephone description of a special, possibly custom guitar (which is what I would consider a used, short scale Santa Cruz OM) for a serious customer, and if that is critical to you (as it appears) then it shoulda been thoroughly discussed before shipping to save everyone some hassle.

Once again, if there are aspects to a deal that are of critical importance to you, especially with used or custom models, do everything possible to negotiate and investigate beforehand, and if you have the tiniest thought that there’s any possibility at all you wouldn’t want to keep it - know the policy, conditions, and process to make a return before you buy it. Even make the purchase with a specific salesperson, having discussed with them the guitar and your concerns, so if you decide to return, you have a specific contact who knows the transaction to deal with. We’re not talking $8 string sets here. Of course, none of that applies if you have a seller who intentionally lies, or makes an effort to hide important details, but that does not seem the case here -

All that said - a cleanly repaired and reinforced center seam separation is a totally nothing issue, as is a well done neck reset. The cracks in the back seem exacerbated by wax, but I’d have those evaluated. Probably not a big problem, and the guitar could easily outlast you without needing anything more. But if you plan to try and resell, or even profit later, those would make for a slightly more difficult sale. But its an unusual, and possibly very special guitar, so weigh that in as well, and do what’ll make you happy.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 PM

Sure doesn’t look like a finish crack to me.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 01-21-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
The purchase was made from a well known and reputable shop, who had also performed a neck reset on the instrument. There were pictures, but none that clearly showed any of the finish flaws. No qualifiers were made.

I probably would have overlooked the dings in the finish etc. While not my definition of 'Excellent' condition, they are not a deal breaker. I do think that any cracks (even if repaired) or other significant repair work should be disclosed. I would also disclose significant finish cracks if I were selling a guitar.
They can't be that reputable, otherwise they would never such a crappy guitar out, surely. I'm not sure why you seem very protective of their reputation.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
Yes, totally agree.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the seller will accept a return, on their dime, for return of an item that was in a condition not as described.

No, they will not adjust the price to $2000 on a used Santa Cruz.

One phone call, done deal. Were they not open yesterday?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:54 AM

Return it, no drama, end of situation, move on. Too many fine used guitars out there to waste any more time on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion