The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Default Anyone seen/played one of these crazy cheap silent guitars?

I believe the make is 'Sojing' and what interests me is that the nut is a little wider than the Yamaha and Aria silent guitars, which are both 43mm (1+11/16") and too narrow for my liking.

There's very little choice over here for silent guitars, at least not without spending even more than the Yamaha, and as this is purely for occasional use late at night I do not intend to spend mega bucks.

Not fussed about preamp quality, as long as the guitar intonates OK and can be set up to play reasonably well I'd be happy. It seems to have truss rod access at the headstock, at least.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-We...gAAOSwAVBdgfDi

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

The headstock looks dicey. I gather that they are trying to reduce the weight of the headstock. But it looks like it could be more fragile if bumped.

I had a Yamaha one for a few days. It played nicely. But I decided I didn't like the amplified sound well enough. So I returned it. I wanted to use it for playing out some. The built in effects intrigued me. Another guy has one and it sounds pretty good. But I decided I didn't like it enough. And I don;t need another thing filling up the closet. I have a GS-mini for a travel guitar.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM

The plot thickens.. I asked the vendor if it had an adjustable truss rod and he says no. Obviously not good news if that's right though we had a language barrier to overcome and from the headstock pic it looks like a truss rod recess.

Edit: Just to confuse things more, there's a guy on Youtube with one these, modding it by adding a mag pickup, and he clearly says in the video he needs to adjust the neck via the truss rod.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 01-20-2020 at 06:07 AM. Reason: new info
Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM

Im pretty sure the Yamaha comes apart -to pack smaller , thus taking up less space for travel -i dont think that one does that.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Im pretty sure the Yamaha comes apart -to pack smaller , thus taking up less space for travel -i dont think that one does that.
I have no need of a travel guitar and the Yamaha nut is too narrow as I said above.

Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion