The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 01:26 AM

This is coming from more of a newbie to guitar playing than an accomplished one. But as I'v been through my rather short journey of getting into guitar playing, I have found along the way that one must find the ONE before giving up, a story of many who wanted ... dreaded ... quit.

I've found it interesting how the instrument needs to match overall "geography" holding it ... aligning for comfort ... matching specific body geometrics so it it becomes an extension rather just and awkward appendage. Then the neck shape and width and how that can affect every move on it.

All above plus actual sound that comes out of it ... find the right combination and you can't stop playing.

Those who are accomplished players have more to say on other aspects, I'm just the one who wants to move forward without developing aversion killing the whole joy.

While I am not the one to address how a guitar changes my playing style, I can surely say a guitar can make it a lot easier to endure the growing pains of learning it.
Ibanez AVN11
Ibanez AW4000-BS
Alvarez Blues51WE TSB
Alvarez LJ60

Last edited by NewJoy; 12-08-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:40 AM

I had a Suzuki guitar, a really inexpensive model for about 10 years which I occasionally picked up and played the same things over and over. When I heard a friends Taylor it was like a lightbulb going off in terms of ‘oh that’s what a guitar is supposed to sound like’. Never looked back!
Old 12-08-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My Avalon changed the way I approach guitar playing. Instead of concentrating on the mechanics of the dexterity and the end result is what it is, I find myself focusing on what I sound like to others. The mechanics then follow naturally.

What about you?
I seem to get more lift in my sails from guitars that have the color red in the body. Red helps me play better.😅
Old 12-08-2019, 10:04 AM

My initial response was ABSOLUTELY! when considering what a great impact my Koylaya has made on my playing over the last 4 years.

The responsiveness of the this instrument has lead me to develop a varied attack in order to take advantage of its rich sound palette. When I play my other guitars, I'm able to get more out of them through my experience with the Kolaya.

With that said, each step up in instrument quality (Alvarez 5043, Taylor 210, Takamine GB-7c) has positively impacted my playing, but nothing near the degree of the Kolaya.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion