The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2019, 06:46 AM

Default TCH Play Acoustic USB to DAW. Levels issue.

I use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic with either passive or active pickups connected to a DAW (Reaper or Audacity). The Guitar Levels are maxed out on the P.A., the DI, and/or the guitars. The P.A's USB levels in&out are also maxed out.

Problem is, the level going into the DAW is way too low at avg -45db.

Am I missing something? How do I get those levels going into DAW up where they belong for recording?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Why are you going through the p.a.? Why not go tc helicon to your interface?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Yep, not at all clear what you are doing.

From a quick read of the description at one of the big-box sites, it's got balanced XLR outs that should go to an interface, if you are trying to record. I gather from your post you are trying to use a USB mixer (unspecified) as an interface? Are you using XLR cables to connect? How is the GAIN setting for those channels?

How does it sound through the PA?

Does anything connected to the PA sound Ok when tracking the USB mixer in Reaper?

Etc.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:19 AM

To clarify: For this post, "P.A" is short for Play Acoustic (not Public Address) and the Play Acoustic is the interface (USB to laptop/DAW). Sorry for the confusing abbreviation!

Anyway, I have figured it out. In short, The Play Acoustic's USB output straight to a DAW is simply too weak for recording. It is a "problem" that hopefully TC Helicon can correct in the next firmware upgrade.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
To clarify: For this post, "P.A" is short for Play Acoustic (not Public Address) and the Play Acoustic is the interface (USB to laptop/DAW). Sorry for the confusing abbreviation!

Anyway, I have figured it out. In short, The Play Acoustic's USB output straight to a DAW is simply too weak for recording. It is a "problem" that hopefully TC Helicon can correct in the next firmware upgrade.
On the TC-Helicon site, they don't list that device as having digital outputs. Kind of funny. The user guide does say that it passes a stereo output via USB at 16-bit, and there is an output level setting, but that's the extent of it. Given the manual is dated 2014, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a firmware update.

Best bet would be to get a dedicated audio interface with two mic (XLR/balanced) inputs, and take the "PAs" balanced, analog outputs into that device for recording.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
...Given the manual is dated 2014, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a firmware update.
Actually, there have been many firmware updates and features added on by TC Helicon with much improved capabilities as a result. The odd thing is, the manual has never been updated to such an extent that this manual is borderline irrelevant. So yeah, odds are quite good for an upgrade on the USB level issue. We'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
...Best bet would be to get a dedicated audio interface with two mic (XLR/balanced) inputs, and take the "PAs" balanced, analog outputs into that device for recording.
I have a USB-capable mixer between the Play and the laptop as an alternative but it defeats the "minimalist" approach. It'd be much simpler to have proper levels out of the "P.A."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD