The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-09-2016, 08:10 AM

I've never encountered this problem so please educate me here.

Is everyone here saying that these guitars cannot be compression fretted?

This problem is common. There are lotsa Martins (like my '31 OM) with ebony rods. Relief is adjusted with compression fretting. The procedure may be different for these necks, but impossible?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I've never encountered this problem so please educate me here.

Is everyone here saying that these guitars cannot be compression fretted?

This problem is common. There are lotsa Martins (like my '31 OM) with ebony rods. Relief is adjusted with compression fretting. The procedure may be different for these necks, but impossible?
I had to look up what compression fitting is, lol. It seems like it could be done on a carbon fiber neck, but also seems like a lot of hassle for a guitar you just bought.
Thanks to everyone for their replies!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Sean, I would be interested to know if having a truss rod requires that the guitar have a heel? My CA GX does not have a truss rod (plays perfect) and the area where the neck joins the body is smooth and clear. To me trading that playability benefit for a future neck adjustment that likely won't be needed is an unworthy trade off.

Just curious what your thoughts may be on that.

The X10, by the way, would nearly perfect in my opinion if it had a "CA like" neck and join at the body.
Hi Strumalot,

Whether there is a truss rod or not, it doesn't affect why we put the heel in. What the heel does is add extra stiffness to the lower portion of the neck. We hope this helps.

Thanks

Sean
Old 11-10-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi taichine,

codecontra kindly mentioned his X20. All our guitars, with the exception of the Amicus and the Synergy Uke, have double action truss rods.

Sean
Sean, I thought the X-5 also had no truss rod.

One of the reasons I bought my X-7 is because it does have one. As a poster above said, I doubt I'll ever need to set it again one I settled on strings I liked.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-10-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Sean, I thought the X-5 also had no truss rod.

One of the reasons I bought my X-7 is because it does have one. As a poster above said, I doubt I'll ever need to set it again one I settled on strings I liked.
Hi AZLiberty,

You are absolutely right, the X5 also doesn't have a truss rod. On this model it was left out to make it the lightest, most travel friendly guitar, we could build.

I didn't mention it to avoid confusion amongst anyone new to our brand, as the X5 is no longer available. For anyone who doesn't know, the X5 was our original travel guitar which we first introduced back in 2006. It went through a number of changes over the years and was always been the instrument of choice for those looking for the most compact roadworthy instrument possible.

As we introduced the more popular X7 model it stepped heavily on the toes of the X5 as it was just a little bit bigger, but offers a much better playing experience both in feel and tone and features a truss rod, like you kindly mentioned AZLiberty.

Now finally the X5 mould has reached the end of its useable life and we have taken the decision to not replace it at this time and focus on the X7 as our core travel guitar. Perhaps down the line we will redesign the X5 and give it some new unique characteristics that will once again command the attention it deserves, but for now the X5 is taking a break.

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 11-10-2016, 10:41 AM

I Played a Blackbird Ryder a few days ago at Elderly and in my personal opinion the neck had too much relief, at least too much for my taste.
I am in favor of truss rod on carbon fiber guitars.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:55 PM

I thought I read somewhere correct me if I am wrong,,the X7 can be had with the std short scale 24.9 scale length????
Old 11-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I thought I read somewhere correct me if I am wrong,,the X7 can be had with the std short scale 24.9 scale length????
Here is a post in which AGF member Carmel Cedar ordered an X7 with 24.9" scale
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=448739

Here is a link to a list of some of the custom work that Emerald Guitar offers.
Scale length change is one.

http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by 121; 11-10-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Hi JerryM,

Custom scale lengths is one of the many custom options we offer on our Artisan models, so the possibilities are endless. Thanks for posting the link to our Emerald Custom Shop Options, 121!

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 11-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

A heel-less, short-scale, center-hole X10 would a stunning instrument. I don't think Alistair has done a heel-less guitar unless it's one of his failures hung on his ceiling.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM

I went to GC, which I don't ever go to but I noticed they happened to have a used CA Legacy. I wanted to check it out since I haven't really played too many carbon fiber guitars, I remember playing a Rain Song years ago and liked it but it was back when I had less than 0 money. Action was horrendous on it worse than a lot of $99 guitars out there. Needless to say I just put it back and walked out.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Bobwl, toward the end prior to going under, the original CA had some neck angle issues during their builds. This has not been a reported issue with the newer Peavey era CA guitars. The nice about carbon fiber is that if it right, it stays right forever. But if it is not right, fixing neck angle problems is functionally impossible. Don't judge them all by that one example....

And remember that a truss rod adjusts relief or neck curvature, not action (string height at the saddle and nut).

Last edited by Earl49; 12-20-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: danged tpyos!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM

I recently purchased an Emerald X20. When it arrived the relief was just a bit more than I prefer. Fortunately, the X20 has a truss rod and a simple adjustment brought the relief exactly where I need it.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 AM

My Rainsong P12 Parlor guitar has an adjustable truss rod. It was one of the reasons I chose it. However, the neck relief was perfect, even after I changed to light strings.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I have made small neck tweaks on both my RainSong and my Emerald, as I set them up to my liking. Is the truss rod a "necessity"? Probably not if it is perfect for you right off the bat. I lowered the action on both guitars, thus the small tweaks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber