The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Taking Pre-orders for Sheeran guitars by Lowden

Had the chance to play a couple of these, and have a real nice chat with Ed regarding these guitars. They're set to arrive in April and currently available for preorder. Feel free to email me with any questions!

[email protected]

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...by+lowden&type
Old 02-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

CME--- don't hold us in suspense. Which models did you play and what were your impressions????
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

It’s not a Lowden, but I love my Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition LX!

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorgirl View Post
It’s not a Lowden, but I love my Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition LX!
Yea, it's not a Lowden, more like a GS Mini with a different headstock the way I hear it but hey, people seem interested. And yea, love my non Sheeran LX.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 PM

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-27-2019, 02:55 PM

Question

Very curious about these "budget" Lowdens, Sheeran by Lowden? Any more info?

Here is what I am figuring out:

(1)Not all solid woods, they have solid top with 5 ply back and sides that are sustainably sourced woods.

(2) 2 basic sizes, parlor style "W" and close to a OO style "S". Then some options, like the 2 barebones version W01 and S01 both in Cedar top and walnut ply sides and back, no pick up, cutaway or bevel option. Or you step for few hundred bucks for the LR Baggs element VTC PU and chose different wood combos, plus the bevel option. All 14 fret, no 12 fret options with solid headstocks, I wish the parlor had slotted 12 fret, maybe later?

(3) Made in Ireland at Lowden, but on separate production line using more automated manufacturing techniques for mass producing them.

(4) 2 coats of finish and some other cost saving tactics to help keep these affordable (compared to Lowden prices).

I bet Lowden is going to do their best to keep very high quality control standards, but just my guess (?). I am always nervous about buying newest tech stuff that might have some issues that have not been worked out???

Anyone in the know want to chime in? I know there is no "free lunch" in life, but I am thinking these might be pretty awesome "bang for buck" guitars?
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Default Hands on with a Sheeran by Lowden W-04

Hi. Took delivery of a W-04 from the lovely people at Richtone in Sheffield a few days ago. I was really looking forward to this moment but sadly, I have to say it is not the guitar for me. I have played a (£3000) Wee Lowden recently and had really high hopes for this more affordable copy. I really wasn’t expecting it to be as good but did expect something close the Lowden sound, and I wanted to feel like I was playing something which offered something of the Lowden vibe and tone. Whilst it sounded lovely plugged in, acoustically, I found the bass really underwhelming. The neck width was fine (about 44.3mm), which was a good point as although the website appeared to be promising 45mm, I had read reports as low as 43.5mm.
I knew that these budget priced guitars were going to have only two coats of whatever finish they are using (compared to around 7 coats, I believe, on the genuine Lowden guitars), I think this is resulting in a problem with the finish. Whilst two coats gave reasonable coverage on the top spruce soundboard, and on the mahogany neck. The coverage on the walnut veneer back was uneven, perhaps due to the surface of the laminate being much less smooth than the other wood surfaces. I don’t have the experience to say whether this is a characteristic problem with walnut veneer, (and with a five layer laminate, I guess each layer must be extremely thin) but on my model, the coverage looked wholly insufficient and somewhat uneven. Rubbing my hand over the back, the surface felt rougher in some area than others.
Sad to say I am returning my “Sheeran by Lowden”. I might save up for the real thing, but at this price, I think the Sheeran by Lowden models will find they are facing some very attractive alternatives.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

petersmithwb,

Sorry you had such a poor experience with it. I have never played a Lowden and only heard great things. I would definitely contact them over the quality. Perhaps you just got a bad one.

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace